Sf_Montauk_17

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 20, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Steven Ng
Boat
1977 Boston Whaler Montauk 17
Mine is 40.. sometimes I wish it was plumbed below like my friends but then again if something goes wrong I want 100% access.. my friends is plumbed below.. his is about 14 to 17gallons.. keep in mind we are norcal guys. We don't chum like socal do and we mainly fish chovies or the tank is being used as a bleed station.. both boat and secondary attachments at the wash down line to set up a 2nd bait tank of needed. Hope this helped a little.

20200526_080932.jpg

IMG_20200521_121859_370.jpg

hookupfish

Boston whaler outrage 18CC
Jul 21, 2008
Orange County
Name
hook up
Boat
none
Mine is 40.. sometimes I wish it was plumbed below like my friends but then again if something goes wrong I want 100% access.. my friends is plumbed below.. his is about 14 to 17gallons.. keep in mind we are norcal guys. We don't chum like socal do and we mainly fish chovies or the tank is being used as a bleed station.. both boat and secondary attachments at the wash down line to set up a 2nd bait tank of needed. Hope this helped a little.

View attachment 1151618

View attachment 1151619
Bump.. nice rig

Sf_Montauk_17

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 20, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Steven Ng
Boat
Any one has contact number who install bait tank, fish finder ?
External rigging is very easy.. i do reccomend using stern savers VRS. Drilling directly into the bottom transom.. simple.. electric drill to save your wrist, hose clamps, hoses, a pump and bait tank.. if you do not want to mount the tank to the deck floor just lay a rubber kitchen mat below the tank. When it fills it will not move.

hookupfish

Jul 21, 2008
Orange County
Name
hook up
Boat
none
External rigging is very easy.. i do reccomend using stern savers VRS. Drilling directly into the bottom transom.. simple.. electric drill to save your wrist, hose clamps, hoses, a pump and bait tank.. if you do not want to mount the tank to the deck floor just lay a rubber kitchen mat below the tank. When it fills it will not move.
Go with 32 gallon , 35 gallon or 40gallon?

Last edited:

Sf_Montauk_17

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 20, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Steven Ng
Boat
Well brother... looks like your down in socal.. ifni were you I would go with the biggest tank and pump to keep that bait as prime as possible.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Doug is right about the 40 gallon but he has a little bigger ride than yours. The bigger the better but I think you need to look at something closer to 30 on your 18. Just make sure whatever size you get (the biggest you can fit comfortably) you want to mount it in the center of the boat and behind the center consol, not centered and you will feel it not handling like it should, not behind the consol and it will take to much of a beating to keep your bait in good shape. My advice is to stay away from a transome mount pick up and pump, you will have issues with picking up air bubbles and you pump constantly losing prime or just putting to many air bubbles in your tank. I know whalers have some issues making putting a thru hull in back from the transum so you will need to check that out, but that will work the best. Most important is to put a shut off valve off of that thru hull so you can shut it off if you have a problem. Personally I hate those plastic pumps, they are not self priming and don't pump any where near what they claim, but they are cheap and I use them too, both my bilge pumps are plastic 1500 pumps but I prefer the brass pumps like my water puppy that are self priming and have an impellar like the one in your motor. Last and very important... don't listen to any of the shit you will hear about "fill time", fill time is important and you should check it at the beginning of each trip..BUT only so you know your pump system is working like it should. People have come to believe that fill time has something to do with how much water you should be putting in your tank... it does not. To have good bait takes three things, the most 02 in the water as posssible, the least amonia, and the temp as close to what the water is outside your boat. The easiest way to get this is by changing the water in your tank as fast as you can, but you have to do this without causing a current inside your tank, if that happens your bait will eiher swim itself to death or will be tired and not able to swim good on your hook, it will get beat up from being pushed into the side of the tank and other fish. I put as much water into my tank as my over flo can get out of my tank without over flowing... BUT I have two input tubes that defuse the water and put it in all the way up the water columb and there is NO current in the tank. I also recommend putting something on the bottom of the lid for your tank, the less air space you have in your tank the less the water can slosh around and this will help keep your bait from getting beat up on the ride out.
Having good live bait will make the biggest difference in how well you will do catching fish.
Good luck and don't hesitate if you have any questions. George

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
First of all I don't even know what kind of pump he has, and it probably doesn't seem to work fine, it probably does work fine. But like you said what you guys require and what someone down here requires are different. your plastic pumps like Rule for example have to mount below the water line, basicly so they won't lose prime. Where that pump is mounted it will pull in a lot of air in the water and probably loses prime a lot, which may not matter if it isn't running a tank that is that big holding that much bait and it isn't expected to have it all alive and in good shape at the end of the day. Just remember there is a big difference between if something works and how well it works. Pumps are the same way, the Rule 1100... meaning it pump 1100gph or 18 gal. per min. and the water puppy (I think it's rated at 8 gal per min.) is self priming (can be up to 4' from water intake). Pumps are effected by how much up hill and how far from the tank they are... we compared these two pumps with the amount of water coming right out of them, the Rule coming right out of the pump didn't put out 18 gal per min. it put out 4. The water puppy put out 8 gals. and it did it pumping up hill three feet and the length of the boat.
I didn't say mounting your pump like that wouldn't work, it will, I said it won't work as good as it should, it won't. The question is will it work good enough to fit your needs?
The bait tank, bait pump bullshit starts every summer and ever year I can count on this happening, and I mean every year. The fill time on my tank is 3 min. on a 25 gal tank, and I will hear a bunch of shit how that is to fast I will kill my bait or it won't be worth a shit and I can't keep a scoop of bait in that size of a tank. (beginning of the season) and every year during or at the end of the season you will hear these same guys crying that they are getting shitty bait, or the water is to warm, that their bait is rolling before they even get to the tuna grounds... and every year I am getting my bait from the same place they are and I am having no problem with my bait rolling or not being in good shape at the end of the day. why is that? it must be magic
The bigger the tank you have the easier it is to keep good bait, it only becomes a challenge when your space is limited

Reactions: Sf_Montauk_17

Sf_Montauk_17

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 20, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Steven Ng
Boat
Great info Gonzo.. I'm just throwing out ideas for the original poster to think about. I will add that for the money Kodiak makes really good tanks.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Great info Gonzo.. I'm just throwing out ideas for the original poster to think about. I will add that for the money Kodiak makes really good tanks.
I agree, I think my tank is a Kodiak knock off.
I have made some improvements to mine that make a huge diffenence but people have to be realistic, yes I have made some changes, but my time is myown.... the tank manufacturer is putting out a product that will work as good as it can and be made at a price he can sell it for, be competitive, and still make money. When your not in that situation it isn't that hard to improve on someone else's ideas.
I know people who use a trash can and it works great, because it holds so much water, but how it looks and how there boat performs is another issue, they don't care and they are taking it out after they go fishing so for them it's okay, but for more normal people you are trying to fit something that is going to stay and not effect your boats performance
Yep, I agree Kodiak makes a good product.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Any one has contact number who install bait tank, fish finder ?
First boat? my advice would be to do as much on your boat as you can, don't be afraid to fail that's how you learn. The more you do on it the better you will know it It's not something you can just park and walk home. The more you know about it the better you can deal with it when something happens. Just a thought

hookupfish

Jul 21, 2008
Orange County
Name
hook up
Boat
none
First boat? my advice would be to do as much on your boat as you can, don't be afraid to fail that's how you learn. The more you do on it the better you will know it It's not something you can just park and walk home. The more you know about it the better you can deal with it when something happens. Just a thought
Gonzo, thanks for all the info and knowledge you have shared. I have learn a lot just reading your post. what do you think about plastic bait tank vs
Fiberglass bait tank ? I was reading some article saying fiberglass tank will hold the bait better. whats your thoughts on it?

ShadowX

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Personally, I would just fill the entire boat with water and use it as a bait tank.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Gonzo, thanks for all the info and knowledge you have shared. I have learn a lot just reading your post. what do you think about plastic bait tank vs
Fiberglass bait tank ? I was reading some article saying fiberglass tank will hold the bait better. whats your thoughts on it?
The tanks I have made, out of fiberglass, had a skirt around them. I did that for looks but it is what I would say makes all the difference because it helps the glass tanks be cooler. If the only consideration is which works the best then I would have to say the glass tanks.
Of course there are other considerations to be made like, the cost, the over all size or space that it will take up, and the weight. All very important and if you have a small boat they could be the most important.

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Blue water 48 gal fiberglass tank. Plumbing under deck with thru hull and self priming pump. That is if you have the skills and budget.

Otherwise plastic tank with a transom pump.

Under deck plumbing requires center deck to come off and stringer notched on top with some glasswork to get exit hose out and into rigging channel. Discharge should be slightly above waterline where bilge discharge is.

Hope that helps

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Blue water 48 gal fiberglass tank. Plumbing under deck with thru hull and self priming pump. That is if you have the skills and budget.

Under deck plumbing requires center deck to come off and stringer notched on top with some glasswork to get exit hose out and into rigging channel. Discharge should be slightly above waterline where bilge discharge is.

Hope that helps
I don't have one of these but isn't the center deck just screwed on? I am sure you know and I am going by memory of the one I looked at years ago.

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I put the BW38-O Bluewater on my 21 Outrage.Had it built into the factory seat-leaning post where the 25 gal live well was.OUTSTANDING!Tom

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
I don't have one of these but isn't the center deck just screwed on? I am sure you know and I am going by memory of the one I looked at years ago.

Correct, 90 screws and the center section above fuel cell can be pulled up. Make sure batteries are out of console if they are there to avoid excess weight lifting that center deck piece.

hookupfish

Jul 21, 2008
Orange County
Name
hook up
Boat
none

Hope that helps
Thanks for the feed back.
I will definitely look into it.

Last edited:

Sf_Montauk_17

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 20, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Steven Ng
Boat
I would love to get a fitted glass tank... yhe only hold back I have os i dont know of i will keep my boat forever.. i am constantly looking to upgrade every day. Yet when I take my boat out I remain in love...if o was a socal guy, a thick glass tank would be the way I go.. the temperature is much warmer than up north. And so are the bluebird skies