17th Annual 2016 Halibut Classic.... It's ON!!

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
****17th ANNUAL 2016 AFTER THANKSGIVING INVITATIONAL HALIBUT CLASSIC****

1159291_07267d1e0e1d9f2c2382951c3b78544c.jpg

Registration is now open for the 2016 "AFTER THANKSGIVING HALIBUT CLASSIC"....... Limited to 40 teams, so get your teams together and get your entries in early to help secure your spot!

Entries forms and rules may be printed out by going to the tournament website, which is www.halibutclassic.com

This has become a Local SoCal after thanksgiving tradition for many, with a super chill and friendly vibe of many past teams who have been partaking for many years!! New teams are ALWAYS encouraged, and the main goal is a bitchen day on the water fishing for Halis among a large group of super good guys and gals all looking to bring home some extra Christmas money and share stories afterwards at the drawings and weigh-in held directly afterwards!

One of the really fun parts about this tournament is the morning gathering and group photo shot of all Boats/Teams out in front of the Ventura Bridge in Mission Bay. All teams huddle up, and our very own Bder "MoBetta" and his son Nate snap some incredible shots of the group as well as some solo shots of the teams slowly heading out after the role call and rules briefing.
_P__5078-L.jpg

Alright man, I'll be adding some photos and things to this post later, but I have to run right now! Lets make this thing ROCK with a serious cool vibe of FUN, FRIENDS, and some good ole BROTHERLY YET FRIENDLY COMPETITION!!! :D

If you are someone looking to fish the tournament and don't have a boat or are not already on a team, or someone with a boat and have an open spot(s), then post up here and make it known, and I will start another thread later for those who are looking to join up with someone. ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Reactions: rile-b-fishn
Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
We really enjoyed the last two years. We have yet to win but like the competition. Count us in Mike.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
BS!
Lets have a boat group hug under the bridge. :gay:
It takes friggen foreeeever,

Mad Lamb is in

Haha, now we're talking!

Lookout, Mad lamb is in the house...... looks like the official smack talk has now begun!!

A boat group hug it is , it's part of the annual tradition, so kick back, chat with buddies,rig up, quit yer crying, and get over it!! :D Baaaah LOL

thumb_teamlogo-mad-lamb-166166.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Mike I've never fished for Halibut down south, any seminars or overview of your grid area for any rookies that might want to drive south?

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Mike I've never fished for Halibut down south, any seminars or overview of your grid area for any rookies that might want to drive south?

Hey Rory ~

I have actually been toying with the idea of possibly having a seminar this year....... possibly held at Bay Park Fish Co. Nothing for sure yet and all just a thought at this point...... well see in the days to come.

The grid area includes all of the inside waters of Mission Bay, and the outside waters directly in front of the Mission Bay Jetty and all the way North to O'side. All teams must immediately call in a legal boated Halibut to Tournament Control, and then give anglers name and the Grid area the fish was caught. All teams are supplied with a Grid Map which has different grid numbers than the other teams in order to not give up their location to other teams (except to tournament control whom has a Master grid). Tournament Control may use the location to do an on the water check and verification, or for on the water photo purposes.

Here is the first section of the grid map leading into Del Mar......

full

Here is the second section of the Grid map, continuing from Del Mar and going all the way into O'side. All fishing MUST be done within the dark lined boundaries.
full

Last edited:
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Can some real halibut fishermen enter it?

Absolutely!! Know any? LOL

Only a few simple stipulations exist..... come with a good attitude, to have fun, make friends, respect the rules and integrity of the tournament and other participants......... and go out and give it your best!! :D

Reactions: skipjack
Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Only a few simple stipulations exist..... come with a good attitude, to have fun, make friends, respect the rules and integrity of the tournament and other participants......... and go out and give it your best!!
I guess that eliminates Carl... :D

Reactions: stroky and @-EZ
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
So is this an "Invitational" or can anyone enter?

Yes, anyone can enter.

Many years back, it was strictly an invitational, but now it's open to anyone. All participants from the previous year are given the chance with entry priority to enter again in the following year up to a certain date.

Since it did not fill to the maximum limit last year, there are numerous spots open which need to be filled, and will be done on a first come first serve basis.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Hey Rory ~

The grid area includes the all of the inside waters of Mission Bay, and the outside waters directly in front of the Mission Bay Jetty and all the way South to O'side. :p:
    Your compass is broke

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    Could a person (team) spend the night in the parking lot? is there over night slips avail?
    I'm about 5-6 hrs away and have never been there.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Sounds good. What was the winning weight last year?

Last years fish was a very nice fish going 28.5lbs

Big fish have not always been the winners of this tournament. Some years it's scratch, and a small fish will come up being the big winner! Matter of fact, one quarter of the past 16 years of winning fish, have been single digit fish.

The largest winning 1st place fish taken in this tournament was 42lbs............ the smallest winning 1st place fish was 5.8lbs.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Sunday Morning reminder! :D

Get your teams together and get your entries in early to secure your spot for this years HALIBUT CLASSIC, which takes place the Saturday following Thanksgiving!

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    Alpine
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    *pushes Leo into Madlamb*

:)

just got here; shows you how slow I've been moving lately ...will it be cold tourny day? are we in a la nina? will Trump be prez ? :) Timbo?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

fishpye

Feb 22, 2004
    Chula Vista Resident
    Visit site
    Name
    John E. Pye
    Boat
    " The Menu" 24' CustomSkipjack Volvo Diesel
    The Menu is in! As long as you got my check Mike. Deb and Baby John ae fired up and ready for another fun day.
    We appreciate all your work putting this together and look forward to it every year.

Upvote 0