Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
Apr 18, 2014
Open Ocean
Name
BajaLifeStyle
Boat
Parker 21
Hey Guys, So I have searched all over this website trying to find some of the questions I have. So this last weekend I was very successful in finding bluefin and got 2 bluefin up to 40-60. However, I had a very hard time differentiating what was bait and what was in fact a solid mark of fish.

I tried playing around with the settings as much as possible but I couldn't find the sweet spot. Some of the settings I used below

Auto Gain
A-2

Advanced settings
TVG - 3
Max Ping Speed
Scroll Speed Max

I didn't have any other special settings activated.

Now The two that I was questioning are my TVG and scroll speed. What is everyone setting those to?

I feel when I had the scroll speed max there would be long lines of red as if it's putting clumping everything together. Like if a bait ball was continuously getting marked...Making for a nasty long cluster. I did go down all the way to 4x scroll speed and it just seemed so slow and wouldn't update me quick enough for my information from moving to stopping and checking under me.

Thanks again, guys. My last setup - Older Furuno - I was a little more accustomed to..Hope I don't regret the choice of changing over.

Feel free to DM me if you wish to conversate privately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Following as I just installed a 175HW as well. Here are tuna on a 3 in 1 transducer on a Navico screen. Edit: Settings were auto, but I had the bottom set for 120’.

86DBBEC7-0CC8-4477-A05E-B1549A876364.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    In the settings Make sure you set your max depth to 1000' and not unlimited. then once back on the echo screen you should look within 300' of the water column and target should show up a little better and different

Upvote 0

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
    Apr 18, 2014
    Open Ocean
    Name
    BajaLifeStyle
    Boat
    Parker 21
    In the settings Make sure you set your max depth to 1000' and not unlimited. then once back on the echo screen you should look within 300' of the water column and target should show up a little better and different

So I think that's one thing I'm going to have to change because i am definitely on "unlimited"

I'll put that on the list.

Reactions: TunaChaser20
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    So I think that's one thing I'm going to have to change because i am definitely on "unlimited"

I'll put that on the list.

That is your biggest setting problem when you over deep waters. You never want it to set on "auto" depth because it would have a hard time adjusting settings if you use high chirp and over 1000 feet from bottom. It would sometimes even get stuck in a loop. I set it down to 500 feet because I don't plan to fish deeper anyways. Adjust your gain and other settings until you see the thermocline and back off slightly. If you don't see marks, increase gain. If you see too much clutter, decrease your gain.

Make sure your ping settings are at max. TVG is not as important if you are looking for fish in deeper waters because it removes surface clutter. The higher settings would remove more surface noise so you can see shallower fish, but that is not important for tuna unless they are at the surface and you can already see them. You can set scroll speed back to normal or 2X speed. No need to go max unless the fish are blasting by at 50 knots. If that is the case, you won't catch them anyways.

You'll know its bait when you see a big blob of color on the screen. The tuna marks are very obvious and you see distinct fish arcs. With high chirp, you may even see the individual baits as small little arcs. If you can't tell bait from noise, you need to lower your gain until the noise goes away. The best way is to set it until you see the thermocline and back off if your gain is too high.

Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    Skipjack 24
    175HW is good to 3-400ft when your in deeper water than that do you want it set on 300 or 400 ft not auto?
    Any other settings, tips would be appreciated.

SD2600
    SD2600
    The 175hw is a great ducer... but just like anything in life there is a trade off....

mid u are fishing for tuna with it. Just like the above comments say set it to about 3-400 feet

if u are bottom fishing in deeper h20 say 500 set it for 550-600... however u may spot bottom fish at that depth but with the wide cone that it produces u can drop and not get bit if that makes sense....
    Reactions: tbev
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Latest posts