tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
So watching a 24ft Radon is the "experience" you have to make your statement about an Anderson Greenough, which is a drastically different hull design??? That sure makes alotta sense. That would be like me saying..."I've seen a Bayliner so I know how your Proline will perform"

And if you go 25knots in "pretty much any conditions" that says alot about your time on the water, especially in rough conditions....or you have a magic boat.

Funny how people on here make comments on boats they have zero experience with.
I'm sorry, not a Radon. Not sure where that came from.

They are great boats I'm sure, I've been on a couple, but never outside of the bay. All I'm saying is that they are not the best bang for your buck, like the OP was looking for.

Slowest we've ever been forced to go was 18kts. 25kts in 90% of conditions is a very smooth ride on our boat.

Don't have time to address everything.

Upvote 0

NumberNine

Almost A Member
Feb 16, 2007
Manhattan Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
23ft Clippercraft
Went to the rigging shop in San Diego today to drop off the electronics and the guys were just finishing the order before mine. This skiff is legit and their operation and work is top class! Can't wait to take delivery

Upvote 0

Canyon

Mover
Sep 22, 2013
Santa Barbara
Name
Colin
Boat
Less
I hope you enjoy your boat, I'm sure you will.

Not bashing you as the buyer, but I think it's pretty brazen of the Tahiti Surf Skiff Company to market their boat as a "Greenough Cathedral Hull Design." Attempting to copy a hull design is one thing, but then to go as far as advertising it as a Greenough design...not sure that passes the legal bullshit test.

Post photos as your build gets finalized, I'm sure you're eager to get it on the water with your family.

Capture.JPG

Upvote 0

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
So watching a 24ft Radon is the "experience" you have to make your statement about an Anderson Greenough, which is a drastically different hull design??? That sure makes alotta sense. That would be like me saying..."I've seen a Bayliner so I know how your Proline will perform"

And if you go 25knots in "pretty much any conditions" that says alot about your time on the water, especially in rough conditions....or you have a magic boat.

Funny how people on here make comments on boats they have zero experience with.

I have been on some big cats in the gom with lots of HP. The big Twin Vee's, freemans and 31 ameracat will seriously run 25knts or 40+knts in "pretty much any conditions" we have here in so cal. Its not magic. its 600-1kHP, trimmed to raise the bow, sharp entry, hull packing massive amounts of air and a good bean bag as far aft as possible.

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
A lot of production boats are designed for all around performance. Radons were designed specifically to carry a heavy load down swell so that a diver could return from the northern channel islands with a full load of urchin in speed and safety. They also perform well in other conditions. But it makes sense that you could go upswell faster in another design. Doesnt mean one is better than another for thst reason alone. Build quality, fuel use, all around safety. These are reasons one might be better. Not just because you went faster one time in one direction under certain conditions

Reactions: scwafish
Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
How are these new boats not a copy right violation (not patent) of the greenough hull?

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Thanks Tom. I thought the same thing. I'm flattered that they think it is good enough to copy. I wonder why Tahiti Offshore can't build their own designs? I can only imagine the "quality"
Do they have a license from Greenough to use his name?

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
I have been on some big cats in the gom with lots of HP. The big Twin Vee's, freemans and 31 ameracat will seriously run 25knts or 40+knts in "pretty much any conditions" we have here in so cal. Its not magic. its 600-1kHP, trimmed to raise the bow, sharp entry, hull packing massive amounts of air and a good bean bag as far aft as possible.

Those Freeman's are amazing boats from all I have read online...never been on one. I was referring to the Proline that TannerS mentioned in his post going 25 knots in any conditions, maybe I should have specified that. I've been out on days with big greenies across the entire windshield/up over the boat and white buffalo's chasing me home, it would be amazing to be going 25 knots in crap like that.

A little off topic, but I'm curious why we don't see any of those hull designs in our area at all really. It would be rad to run a Freeman in the SB Channel on a shitty day (like today) and see how well they perform. It's definitely not about the money b/c there are some high dollar boats in this area and at the Channel Islands....very rare to see an east coast go fast boat out here though.

Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
central coast of california
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
I can't even begin to imagine what one of those large Freeman's must cost? And with just a center console, no pilothouse (at least the ones I've seen). That may have something to do with it. I think the world is coming down to a 'get it local' mentality, whether it be the food you eat, the services you use, or the boats you own. Support things that are designed for YOUR area, and enjoy the rewards. Especially with boats, why get a committee-designed boat from the E. Coast when you can get one designed, built, and refined over the years specifically for where you like to operate your boat?

photo 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: charliecat
Upvote 0

SurfSeeker

Captain
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Barbara
Name
Taylor
Boat
Radon 15 "Bixby Bandit" (SOLD), Hawkins 10, 17' Outrage
Is the Tahiti and exact copy of George Greenough's design or is it a hull built with some of the same characteristics. Sometimes I see a 2 boats in pictures and think they are identical but then I see them in person and they are slightly different. It's hard to judge something that I have never seen in person.... But that is just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

CENCOASTFISH

Jan 26, 2009
SANTA MARIA/CA/USA
Name
B. A. STEWART
Boat
PRO-LINE 231 WA B2
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Let the lawyers decide on what is legal, the market will decide who sells boat both in the short and long term.

As someone who navigates regularly from from Santa Barbara and the central coast (In many vessels sail and power including a
Proline231, on A 26x10 tollycraft,+ occasionally a "lowly" trophy25, some
Parkers and several Davis/radon 22-26 types etc ) I would postulate that NONE of the monohulls mentioned would be run by a ""prudent skipper" at 25+ knots in typical "Afternoon" conditions , in either outside waters , in the channel slop, or on the huge winter central coast pacific swells from conception to San Simeon. calm seas are another discussion. even cats have their limits. Now if your Pro-Line is a 36 footer vs a 17 greenough surfboard ranch sled its apples and oranges.

The "expensive boats " are normally built "better" if thicker and heavier is the standard , all the boats do some things better than others . BTW I thought, maybe wrongly the radon design was to carry AB's before Urchins were the only harvest.? weight in any case. A working boat has some different needs IMHO than a sport-boat ,often in the area of catch handling/Hold, customization ability, serviceability & equipment mounting(hydraulics, compressors,line haulers etc vs. sportsmen rod storage,showroom looks, passenger space & comfort, top speed, fuel economy,trailerability , uipfront cost$, clear fishing areas,

ALL boats make compromises. there is reason your hull is not 1 foot thick and another that it is not made out of titanium. there is a reason most boats were once made of wood and a reason that few contain much any more.

The Copycat probably is doing so legally if design isn't protected although it is shamefacedly bold to use the name in the design claim. Who knows if its built the same or not ,maybe heavier for better or worse. Maybe butnotlikely the builder reverse engineered and used CAD programs and prototypes to test improvements or maybe he just lofted it from a hull and slapped together a mold then laid a up a boat . big Builders often have better "engineering" and smaller ones overbuild to compensate , OLDer companies have invaluable experience and new companies have fresh ideas. this new rig may be a "good enough "and a bargain or a pennywise-poundfoolish mistake. copy may not have the resale value and end up costing more overall. heavy is not always strong, thick is not always better, this is sometimes worse, flexible and rigid each have a place. the best boat is the one you are safe and happy with.

So chose Wisely Grasshopper .

Reactions: sbsurfer
Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Nice ride NumberNine and forgive Bill. He has every reason to be annoyed, and he is not annoyed at you near as I can tell.

@tanner.s

Bro, I have been on more than one ride on Striper and they do take a head sea beautifully. But any design is a compromise and the most dangerous conditions that Radons and Andersons handle is a death sentence for a deep vee.

Head seas will not kill you as long as you can stay pointed into them, following seas or beam seas will kill you when you broach and/or roll. What we fear in the North Pacific is when you are outside and some Aleutian Juice comes up fast and you are too afraid to turn and run home because your boat cannot handle large following or beam seas. Nobody sweats local chop which is what a Striper excels in.

Sorry, not trying to be a dick, just giving you something to think about when you consider what a Radon/Greenough is designed to handle, open water outside the lee of pt. Conception and the islands.

Pretty sure those Freeman are like $300,000++ also...never met anyone yet that thought a Power Cat was safe in quartering seas/downhill as they like to point themselves where they want to go but I have no experience in one myself.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Nice ride NumberNine and forgive Bill. He has every reason to be annoyed, and he is not annoyed at you near as I can tell.

@tanner.s

Bro, I have been on more than one ride on Striper and they do take a head sea beautifully. But any design is a compromise and the most dangerous conditions that Radons and Andersons handle is a death sentence for a deep vee.

Head seas will not kill you as long as you can stay pointed into them, following seas or beam seas will kill you when you broach and/or roll. What we fear in the North Pacific is when you are outside and some Aleutian Juice comes up fast and you are too afraid to turn and run home because your boat cannot handle large following or beam seas. Nobody sweats local chop which is what a Striper excels in.

Sorry, not trying to be a dick, just giving you something to think about when you consider what a Radon/Greenough is designed to handle, open water outside the lee of pt. Conception and the islands.

Pretty sure those Freeman are like $300,000++ also...never met anyone yet that thought a Power Cat was safe in quartering seas/downhill as they like to point themselves where they want to go but I have no experience in one myself.
We aren't talking about the North. We are talking SoCal. This guy is out of Manhattan Beach, LA. So all of the stuff about heavy following seas really doesn't matter all too much. Hell, we rarely get big head seas. But in an afternoon chop, a deep V really is the better boat down here. And for a more budget minded boater, like the OP, a cheaper boat with less of those following sea-worthy characteristics is the way to go.

As for cats, the guys in WA using them go faster and are more comfortable than most others with the same size boat. They are tested designs in the conditions you describe.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
We aren't talking about the North. We are talking SoCal. This guy is out of Manhattan Beach, LA. So all of the stuff about heavy following seas really doesn't matter all too much. Hell, we rarely get big head seas. But in an afternoon chop, a deep V really is the better boat down here. And for a more budget minded boater, like the OP, a cheaper boat with less of those following sea-worthy characteristics is the way to go.

As for cats, the guys in WA using them go faster and are more comfortable than most others with the same size boat. They are tested designs in the conditions you describe.

Yep, I feel ya. Just sayin' the boats coming out of the Anderson yard are a serious boat for serious conditions and don't take chop by design.

Overall, we don't need to bust the OP's balls at all. He has way more boat than I do :).

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Yep, I feel ya. Just sayin' the boats coming out of the Anderson yard are a serious boat for serious conditions and don't take chop by design.

Overall, we don't need to bust the OP's balls at all. He has way more boat than I do :).
Haha, I gotcha. I know those boats are seriously great handling boats, especially at lower speed with heavy loads, as in a commercial applications.

I really like the OP's skiff (even if it's not a "real" boat by some's standards)

Upvote 0