SurfSeeker

Captain
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Barbara
Name
Taylor L.
Boat
Radon 15 "Bixby Bandit" (SOLD), Hawkins 10, 17' Outrage
I had a buddy with a 29' proline who was thrown across the cockpit several times when his boat broached coming down a wave. The same boat later sank… ohh and by the way, every boat he bought after that was a Radon. In not saying production boats aren't good, but Radons, Anderson's, and Wilsons are the hull of choice for local Santa Barbara waters. It would be interesting to see a deep-vee coming down hill with several thousand pounds of urchin on board...

Number nine- I dig the new boat and hope you have a great time on the water with it! Can't wait to see the boat once it is rigged! I saw something about these new hulls 2 years ago but nothing since then until now. These are the pictures that I found 2 years ago...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Big Bad Bill

Mar 30, 2011
Santa Barbara Channel
Name
Big Bad Bill
Boat
Bijoux Del Mar
Sorry Bill, I didn't design or build this skiff. I simply purchased it. As for being cheap- well I guess so. With me just becoming a new father, your skiff are simply out of my price range.
Mike I understand you needed to save some money, I was commenting on the guys who stole the design. It's happened more than once.

I am confused as to the 25K price. Is that bare hull with no rigging or your cost "turnkey" in the water with power, electrical, hardware, fuel, trailer, tax and registration. Don't forget the cost of the electronics, ground tackle and safety gear.

When you buy an Anderson / Greenough you get the experience of building 30 of these boats. The laminates are engineered, the coring is engineered, the stringers are engineered, the Center of Gravity is calculated, the hardware and fuel is engineered. The caprail to hull seam is integral to the boat, not screwed and sealed with a sealer

Thats why I call it a cheap copy.

Bubba

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 6, 2004
Pismo Beach
Name
Bubba
Boat
18' Trophy
Nice looking skiff. Post up pics when it's rigged.

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
I was running in next to a 24ft Radon the other day and they were taking a beating. It was surely rough out but with the deadrise on our Proline, we can hold 25kts in pretty much any conditions. Plus, the cost is super low and you get plenty of amenities. To each his own, I'll take the cheaper boat that catches just as many fish and goes faster more comfortably.
So watching a 24ft Radon is the "experience" you have to make your statement about an Anderson Greenough, which is a drastically different hull design??? That sure makes alotta sense. That would be like me saying..."I've seen a Bayliner so I know how your Proline will perform"

And if you go 25knots in "pretty much any conditions" that says alot about your time on the water, especially in rough conditions....or you have a magic boat.

Funny how people on here make comments on boats they have zero experience with.

Last edited:

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
So watching a 24ft Radon is the "experience" you have to make your statement about an Anderson Greenough, which is a drastically different hull design??? That sure makes alotta sense. That would be like me saying..."I've seen a Bayliner so I know how your Proline will perform"

And if you go 25knots in "pretty much any conditions" that says alot about your time on the water, especially in rough conditions....or you have a magic boat.

I'm sorry, not a Radon. Not sure where that came from.

They are great boats I'm sure, I've been on a couple, but never outside of the bay. All I'm saying is that they are not the best bang for your buck, like the OP was looking for.

Slowest we've ever been forced to go was 18kts. 25kts in 90% of conditions is a very smooth ride on our boat.

Don't have time to address everything.

NumberNine

Feb 16, 2007
Manhattan Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
23ft Clippercraft
Went to the rigging shop in San Diego today to drop off the electronics and the guys were just finishing the order before mine. This skiff is legit and their operation and work is top class! Can't wait to take delivery

Canyon

Mover
Sep 22, 2013
Santa Barbara
Name
Colin
Boat
Anderson 22'
I hope you enjoy your boat, I'm sure you will.

Not bashing you as the buyer, but I think it's pretty brazen of the Tahiti Surf Skiff Company to market their boat as a "Greenough Cathedral Hull Design." Attempting to copy a hull design is one thing, but then to go as far as advertising it as a Greenough design...not sure that passes the legal bullshit test.

Post photos as your build gets finalized, I'm sure you're eager to get it on the water with your family.

Capture.JPG

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA

I have been on some big cats in the gom with lots of HP. The big Twin Vee's, freemans and 31 ameracat will seriously run 25knts or 40+knts in "pretty much any conditions" we have here in so cal. Its not magic. its 600-1kHP, trimmed to raise the bow, sharp entry, hull packing massive amounts of air and a good bean bag as far aft as possible.

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
A lot of production boats are designed for all around performance. Radons were designed specifically to carry a heavy load down swell so that a diver could return from the northern channel islands with a full load of urchin in speed and safety. They also perform well in other conditions. But it makes sense that you could go upswell faster in another design. Doesnt mean one is better than another for thst reason alone. Build quality, fuel use, all around safety. These are reasons one might be better. Not just because you went faster one time in one direction under certain conditions

Reactions: scwafish

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
How are these new boats not a copy right violation (not patent) of the greenough hull?

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Thanks Tom. I thought the same thing. I'm flattered that they think it is good enough to copy. I wonder why Tahiti Offshore can't build their own designs? I can only imagine the "quality"
Do they have a license from Greenough to use his name?

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Then I think a cease and desist letter might be in order. Followed by a lawsuit

Reactions: Canyon

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
I have been on some big cats in the gom with lots of HP. The big Twin Vee's, freemans and 31 ameracat will seriously run 25knts or 40+knts in "pretty much any conditions" we have here in so cal. Its not magic. its 600-1kHP, trimmed to raise the bow, sharp entry, hull packing massive amounts of air and a good bean bag as far aft as possible.
Those Freeman's are amazing boats from all I have read online...never been on one. I was referring to the Proline that TannerS mentioned in his post going 25 knots in any conditions, maybe I should have specified that. I've been out on days with big greenies across the entire windshield/up over the boat and white buffalo's chasing me home, it would be amazing to be going 25 knots in crap like that.

A little off topic, but I'm curious why we don't see any of those hull designs in our area at all really. It would be rad to run a Freeman in the SB Channel on a shitty day (like today) and see how well they perform. It's definitely not about the money b/c there are some high dollar boats in this area and at the Channel Islands....very rare to see an east coast go fast boat out here though.

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
central coast of california
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
I can't even begin to imagine what one of those large Freeman's must cost? And with just a center console, no pilothouse (at least the ones I've seen). That may have something to do with it. I think the world is coming down to a 'get it local' mentality, whether it be the food you eat, the services you use, or the boats you own. Support things that are designed for YOUR area, and enjoy the rewards. Especially with boats, why get a committee-designed boat from the E. Coast when you can get one designed, built, and refined over the years specifically for where you like to operate your boat?

photo 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: charliecat