NumberNine

Almost A Member
Feb 16, 2007
Manhattan Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
23ft Clippercraft
My new SurfSki is out of the mold and ready for rigging. Going to be powered by a Zuke 70hp 4stroke
20151014_140423.jpg
20151014_140406.jpg
20151014_140413.jpg

Upvote 0

NumberNine

Almost A Member
Feb 16, 2007
Manhattan Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
23ft Clippercraft
Tahiti Offshore builds the boats, really great guys! Delivery is in a week or two, I'll post pics. So far this is by far the best skiff I've seen under 25k.

Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0

Big Bad Bill

Mar 30, 2011
Santa Barbara Channel
Name
Big Bad Bill
Boat
Bijoux Del Mar
I'm flattered that you tried to copy a great hull design.
Can't you come up with your own ideas??
I have the "ORIGINAL" George Greenough design. George (my good friend and mentor) made the plug for our 17' and 21' Greenough models. This looks like some one stretched the Del Mar 13 without considering the balance. We have built over 30 of the G17 hulls. None of our boats are pop riveted together. Do you want your hull seperating from the caprail when you are offshore?
Why buy a CHEAP imitation?

Some years ago Amato in Ensenada copied our Anderson 26 and makes a poor quality of the real thing. More CHEAP imitations. I repaired a couple of them. The owners said what poor quality they were.
Quality counts especially when offshore in bad weather.

This is George Greenough's original he built from #1 hull we made for him.

image014.jpg

More G17 boats we've built. I could fi
First Bixby Run w_ Pure Fun, Sept 2013 0079.jpg

g2.jpg

Brad01.jpg

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
your boat looks like mine, but mines an "original" so yours sucks...you gotta be kidding me. I can't beleive somebody made a boat that looks similar to another boat...that's unheard of. The guy is stoked on his new ride, no need to shit on it. Mike, the boat looks sick man, have fun with it!
The Anderson guys are extremely proud of their boats and any slight or exact imitations are immediately inferior in their eyes. If you ask me, the Greenough boats are overpriced for what you get but I know many disagree. I'd rather take a well built, modern deep V for a lower price with more amenities. It will get the job done just the same.

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
The Anderson guys are extremely proud of their boats and any slight or exact imitations are immediately inferior in their eyes. If you ask me, the Greenough boats are overpriced for what you get but I know many disagree. I'd rather take a well built, modern deep V for a lower price with more amenities. It will get the job done just the same.

How many Anderson's (Chaz or Greenough's) have you been on to make a statement like that? Have you ever seen the fuel burn numbers on a Greenough vs the standard deep v design? It also depends on where you boat. You definitely would not be making that statement if you did most of your boating in the SB Channel where these boats were designed and excel.

They say imitation is the best form of flattery, but I can definitely see where Bill's frustration is coming from on this when someone copies their very unique hull design. I don't know the copyright laws when it comes to boat design but for most other industries copying a design is illegal and leads to a lawsuit. I know the Radon's deal with this as well b/c there are quite a few Radon copy's being built in Hawaii. It may not come across in his post but Bill is one of the nicest guys in boat building, just pissed that someone is out there copying his boats....I think most of you would be too if the roles were reversed.

All that being said, I can also see where Mike is coming from looking to buy a more affordable skiff after recently becoming a father and don't fault him for it one bit. I hope it gives him hundreds of happy hours on the water.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
Los osos
Name
Tony
Boat
19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
Cool skiff
Should have many years of fun with it.
Souldnt matter if it's a radon/Anderson/greenrough
I don't really care what boat I'm in.
I just want to catch fish and have fun.

Reactions: NumberNine
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
How many Anderson's (Chaz or Greenough's) have you been on to make a statement like that? Have you ever seen the fuel burn numbers on a Greenough vs the standard deep v design? It also depends on where you boat. You definitely would not be making that statement if you did most of your boating in the SB Channel where these boats were designed and excel.

They say imitation is the best form of flattery, but I can definitely see where Bill's frustration is coming from on this when someone copies their very unique hull design. I don't know the copyright laws when it comes to boat design but for most other industries copying a design is illegal and leads to a lawsuit. I know the Radon's deal with this as well b/c there are quite a few Radon copy's being built in Hawaii. It may not come across in his post but Bill is one of the nicest guys in boat building, just pissed that someone is out there copying his boats....I think most of you would be too if the roles were reversed.

All that being said, I can also see where Mike is coming from looking to buy a more affordable skiff after recently becoming a father and don't fault him for it one bit.
I was running in next to a 24ft Radon the other day and they were taking a beating. It was surely rough out but with the deadrise on our Proline, we can hold 25kts in pretty much any conditions. Plus, the cost is super low and you get plenty of amenities. To each his own, I'll take the cheaper boat that catches just as many fish and goes faster more comfortably.

Upvote 0

scwafish

Obsessed with fish
Jun 19, 2009
Nor Cal
www.gwkc.com
Name
Sean
Boat
Radoncraft 18
Every design is a compromise. Boats that are great in a head sea are generally not great in a following sea etc.

in pretty much any conditions

its the conditions outside "pretty much" that the Radon was designed for...when you find yourself in them you'll get it. Its no coincidence that the small commercial fleet on the north coast is 90% Radon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SurfSeeker

Captain
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Barbara
Name
Taylor
Boat
Radon 15 "Bixby Bandit" (SOLD), Hawkins 10, 17' Outrage
I had a buddy with a 29' proline who was thrown across the cockpit several times when his boat broached coming down a wave. The same boat later sank… ohh and by the way, every boat he bought after that was a Radon. In not saying production boats aren't good, but Radons, Anderson's, and Wilsons are the hull of choice for local Santa Barbara waters. It would be interesting to see a deep-vee coming down hill with several thousand pounds of urchin on board...

Number nine- I dig the new boat and hope you have a great time on the water with it! Can't wait to see the boat once it is rigged! I saw something about these new hulls 2 years ago but nothing since then until now. These are the pictures that I found 2 years ago...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Big Bad Bill

Mar 30, 2011
Santa Barbara Channel
Name
Big Bad Bill
Boat
Bijoux Del Mar
Sorry Bill, I didn't design or build this skiff. I simply purchased it. As for being cheap- well I guess so. With me just becoming a new father, your skiff are simply out of my price range.
Mike I understand you needed to save some money, I was commenting on the guys who stole the design. It's happened more than once.

I am confused as to the 25K price. Is that bare hull with no rigging or your cost "turnkey" in the water with power, electrical, hardware, fuel, trailer, tax and registration. Don't forget the cost of the electronics, ground tackle and safety gear.

When you buy an Anderson / Greenough you get the experience of building 30 of these boats. The laminates are engineered, the coring is engineered, the stringers are engineered, the Center of Gravity is calculated, the hardware and fuel is engineered. The caprail to hull seam is integral to the boat, not screwed and sealed with a sealer

Thats why I call it a cheap copy.

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
I was running in next to a 24ft Radon the other day and they were taking a beating. It was surely rough out but with the deadrise on our Proline, we can hold 25kts in pretty much any conditions. Plus, the cost is super low and you get plenty of amenities. To each his own, I'll take the cheaper boat that catches just as many fish and goes faster more comfortably.

So watching a 24ft Radon is the "experience" you have to make your statement about an Anderson Greenough, which is a drastically different hull design??? That sure makes alotta sense. That would be like me saying..."I've seen a Bayliner so I know how your Proline will perform"

And if you go 25knots in "pretty much any conditions" that says alot about your time on the water, especially in rough conditions....or you have a magic boat.

Funny how people on here make comments on boats they have zero experience with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0