17' Mako- Complete Rebuild, First Boat

Hacker

May 6, 2021
The OC
Name
Brian Hudson
Boat
17' Mako project
I've wanted to start a project like this for years, but I had no idea what I was really getting into. I've done a fair amount of wood work in the past, but zero glasswork, and I haven't even owned a boat before this. I saw Joe's (CHRISTINA LYNN) listing and called him up. We had a great conversation and I said "let's do it". Joe has been gracious enough to let me do all the filthy (grinding) work at his place. He's given me direction and will be my greatest resource throughout the project. That's pretty amazing considering how busy he is with a huge rebuild of his own right now. Here she is to start:
IMG_6320.jpegIMG_6321.jpeg
IMG_6324.jpeg
IMG_6325.jpeg

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
This already has me itchy. I don’t envy you by any means, but I do appreciate your work and hope your dedication sees you through the project.

Reactions: Avery Gilleland

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
I went and looked at this while it still had a floor in it and decided it was too much work at the time. Now it’s even more work! Good luck, I’m sure it’ll be a Bitchin skiff once it’s wrapped up

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
It' a bit late for this but, you have removed all of the foam. That foam core glass cloth reinforced polyester construction was light, strong and stiff. Now that the foam is gone, how are you going to restore the boats integrity? Typically the foam core boats use a thinner shell and little if any reinforcement. Other boats use more of a skin on frame construction with a thicker skin.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Hacker

May 6, 2021
The OC
Name
Brian Hudson
Boat
17' Mako project
Karlow, thanks for the concern. The plan is to rebuild the inner wall to allow for storage under the gunwales. All voids will be refilled with foam. I'll be "sistering" new stringers to the existing ones which will strengthen the hull and give a better foundation for the deck, console, and leaning post/bait tank. I had a few hours to spend sanding the past couple days. Nothing too exciting, but its progress! I worked on the hull, prepped old hardware holes for filling, sanded most of the old non-skid off of the cap, and made a template to begin rebuilding the transom.
IMG_6431.jpeg
IMG_6430.jpeg
IMG_6427.jpeg
IMG_6396.jpeg
IMG_6395.jpeg

Reactions: Arima-bob
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
More storage is always very desirable in a small boat. Your project is looking like a ton of work and you are just at the start of the build part! Are those boats self bailing from the factory, or do you have to raise the floor as well?

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Damn this is going to be sweet when you get her done!

Upvote 0

Hacker

May 6, 2021
The OC
Name
Brian Hudson
Boat
17' Mako project
More storage is always very desirable in a small boat. Your project is looking like a ton of work and you are just at the start of the build part! Are those boats self bailing from the factory, or do you have to raise the floor as well?
It will be self bailing.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
When you go to connect the cap to the hull, be sure to seal it. Most won't sealed at the factory and you had a ton of water incursion into the hull while on the water.

4200 is your friend. I used a couple of tubes on a cool day (hot days it will run) and then put masking tape over the line to keep the 4200 in the gap as I worked it. A second set of hands to do the taping might be helpful as well while you are pumping 4200 in the gap.

Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
I concur with flytie, my friend's Mako (19 or 20?) could not figure out why even on a calm day took on a lot of water, after sealing up the cap/hull joint, boat never had a problem. That boat caught a lot of fish, very stable platform. Good luck with your boat!

Upvote 0

Hacker

May 6, 2021
The OC
Name
Brian Hudson
Boat
17' Mako project
I concur with flytie, my friend's Mako (19 or 20?) could not figure out why even on a calm day took on a lot of water, after sealing up the cap/hull joint, boat never had a problem. That boat caught a lot of fish, very stable platform. Good luck with your boat!
Sorry for the lack of response. I had family in town for the weekend so not much progress to report. I’ll be sure to seal under the cap. I removed the old silicone and didn’t see much sign of intrusion when I removed the foam.

In addition to the boat, I’ve been chipping away at refreshing a trailer I bought from a fellow BDer. I need to have it ready soon to transfer this little project back to my place. I spent this afternoon setting up a 14x20 foot canopy on the side yard. The workspace is ready.

Upvote 0

Hacker

May 6, 2021
The OC
Name
Brian Hudson
Boat
17' Mako project
Sorry for the lack of response. I had family in town for the weekend so not much progress to report. I’ll be sure to seal under the cap. I removed the old silicone and didn’t see much sign of intrusion when I removed the foam.

In addition to the boat, I’ve been chipping away at refreshing a trailer I bought from a fellow BDer. I need to have it ready soon to transfer this little project back to my place. I spent this afternoon setting up a 14x20 foot canopy on the side yard. The workspace is ready.
Trailer before:
6E60BD33-EB32-45CC-B22E-9C8918D3C0E8.jpeg
8EC67CB9-4096-482F-984F-58912854634D.jpeg
9AA3C959-34AB-47DC-9E21-6F932A5349DA.jpeg
79827779-3FC2-4E64-A88F-5FA2F2B42C8C.jpeg

Upvote 0

Hacker

May 6, 2021
The OC
Name
Brian Hudson
Boat