Paul Ward

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
They had 4 rigs all set up on standby. One gets hooked up and passed to a passenger and then the next rod gets baited and sent out. Pretty good system. There were a couple times that 3 cows were hooked at one time.
Ok . Thanks for the reply. Thought I was done for the season but maybe not

ironnutts

Feb 18, 2007
san diego
Name
FisherMinh
Boat
20ft trophy
Damn that's sweet...gonna go check weather see how it's gonna be this weekend...gonna go down to anglers choice pick up a few of them frozen flyers...any particular way in rigging those flyers.

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
Well there you go. The op stated they went 17 - 17 on the "Cows" and then said they got one way under 200. Carry on
The way I first read the post said the 108 was a baitfish separate from the kite cows...what's the argument?

Reactions: 2454 big mike

jjhollin

Jun 29, 2006
Del Mar
Name
Jake Hollingsworth
Boat
None
6DB27285-BB58-49EC-A221-C0FD25D001AA.jpeg

5380BFB5-3F73-4264-A3F1-2DB6D604F556.jpeg

Damn that's sweet...gonna go check weather see how it's gonna be this weekend...gonna go down to anglers choice pick up a few of them frozen flyers...any particular way in rigging those flyers.
These are the best pics I could find of the rigging of the flyer. They are screen shots of a video that I took during the trip. There are two hooks in the bait crimped together on a 300 (or more) pound leader

Reactions: Larmo

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
The frozen flyers should lay almost flat, especially since you want it to sit and bounce on the surface when you are not moving. The rigging above seems to make the flyer hang at an angle, which is ideal if you are trolling.

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Rig it flat and it nose dives into waves and gets beat up real quick
I think we are in violent agreement. If you troll the flyers, angle them, if you are fishing frozen flyers drifting or on anchor, you should have them rigged flat. I watched the Vagabond crew get dozens of bites on cow sized tuna while drifting because they were hooked up already or were just waiting for the school to swim around again. If the frozen flyer is flat and only moving a little, then it resembles a live flyer on the surface. Take a look at videos of them or watch them at night, they often just lounge on the surface moving slowly.

heatsource

Mar 28, 2018
nevada city, ca
Name
dave
Boat
north river
I would imagine how windy it is that day would make a difference and how steep the swell is
Even just drift fishing if it’s windy out I was moving about two knots and with the swell my flyer got beat up really quick last trip out
I did learn some tricks on patching them back up tho

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I would imagine how windy it is that day would make a difference and how steep the swell is
Even just drift fishing if it’s windy out I was moving about two knots and with the swell my flyer got beat up really quick last trip out
I did learn some tricks on patching them back up tho
Can someone just make a realistic plastic flyer that we can use already... Clearly these flyers look much different than the existing plastic yummy flyers. The ones around san clemente and catalina are darker, more like a sardine, and larger than the yummy flyers. I'd have no problem paying to have realistic ones made if I could just find a custom manufacturer.

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
Can someone just make a realistic plastic flyer that we can use already... Clearly these flyers look much different than the existing plastic yummy flyers. The ones around san clemente and catalina are darker, more like a sardine, and larger than the yummy flyers. I'd have no problem paying to have realistic ones made if I could just find a custom manufacturer.
seriously nobody has ever caught one on a plastic flyer..

warichio

Jul 23, 2014
Name
Michael Warren-Angelucci
Boat
jet ski
I'm thinking about going middle of next week on this trip, getting excited just thinking about it.
What should I bring? I have a couple 50lb set ups, should I even bring those? or just rent the bigger gear when I get there? Should I buy some flat falls? What size line where you using? Almost sound like you were just using the kite which I assume was their set up?
Any tips would be great! Ive never been on a big blue fin trip but have gone on a bunch of yft overnighters. I would be so pumped to pull in a big blue

David Ross

Jul 27, 2017
Cardiff
Name
David
Boat
Alex Ross
Congrats boys, sounds like the stuff that dreams are made from. You’ll remember that trip till your dying day.

rick Jackson

"Carpe diem"
May 28, 2015
Name
RIP Jim Peterson
Boat
Glasspar Avalon/SeaQuest
Great job reporting! Capt. Pat Cavanaugh of the Pacific Dawn
is without a doubt one of those good guys for Sportfishing.:notworthy

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I'm thinking about going middle of next week on this trip, getting excited just thinking about it.
What should I bring? I have a couple 50lb set ups, should I even bring those? or just rent the bigger gear when I get there? Should I buy some flat falls? What size line where you using? Almost sound like you were just using the kite which I assume was their set up?
Any tips would be great! Ive never been on a big blue fin trip but have gone on a bunch of yft overnighters. I would be so pumped to pull in a big blue
Yes, your 50lb might be useful. The kite rod is supplied by the boat. An 80-100lb setup for bait might be useful in case the big ones eat the flylined bait while you are drifting with the kite/balloon out. Use the heavy setup with the flatfall at night.