17' BW montauk re power

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by lilrick, Apr 13, 2017.

1. lilrick

lilrick Member

Name:
    Lilrick
    Boat:
    whaler
    So, my pops has an 87 CC Boston whaler that he purchased new. It still has the OG 70 horse Johnson on it and it's been nothing but a money pit!! Needless to say it's time to put ol' smoky to bed.
    Without starting a WAR or nasty debate, we're looking for some opinions about what brand of motor to hang on this old girl. We're definitely going to step up the power from 70 to 90. Not trying to go faster, but that 70 worked pretty hard on an uphill swell with a few guys on er. The 90 should be able to run at a lower rpm with the right pitched prop to achieve similar speeds and performance. Any input u guys have will be greatly appreciated.

Please keep the discussion civil and let's not turn this into a FORD vs. CHEVY shitfest!!
    Thank you

ZUK
    Honda
    Yamaha
    Merc
    e-tec

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    I think you can't go wrong with a 4S Mercury or Yamaha 90. I have a Merc 90 ELPT on mine and it is very efficient and very reliable. Mine is paired with a 20P SS Prop and I also have a hydro-fin on the lower unit to help us plane.

3. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    I had a 90 2 stroke on my 88 Montauk and went to a 2015 70 hp 4 stroke Yamaha for weight reasons. The F70 is a different block and WAY lighter, like 120lbs less, than the Yammie F90. To me, the F90 (or Honda 90) wasn't even in contention due to its increased size and weight (the F90 and the F115 are about the same in size and weight). That said, I do notice a definite performance loss. Don't get me wrong, IMO the F70 is still plenty, but before I could easily do 40 on flat water and the hole shot would throw your head back! But that F70 is oh so smooth and quiet and efficient. Overall, its worth it. Going fast in a Montauk will break your back anyway.
    I also looked at the Etec 90, as it's lighter than Yammie, and if you absolutely have to have a 90, that is what you want, but I just couldn't get my mind around the ETec's reliability vs the F70, so ultimately the F70 won. Merc's and Zuke's weren't in contention. Hope this helps.

SDWhaler17, onehottip and pukahd like this.
  4. lilrick

lilrick Member

Name:
    Lilrick
    Boat:
    whaler
    Thanks for the input fellas!

5. jigstrike

jigstrike SCUBA Spearing Daddy

Name:
    Tom McKinney
    Boat:
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    What type of motor is available locally from someone who can service it and has room for you to easily drop the boat off without having to take half a day off work to be there? I loved my Tohatsu 90 tldi, but my local service provider just didnt work for me. Small shop, no room to store boats, no full time tldi mechanic. To many hoops to jump through. The yamaha would have been 1 to 2 thousand more and worth it. But if I lived next to a full time Tohatsu shop, would buy one again.

6. balik

balik Newbie

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    17 Whaler Dauntless
    I re-powered my 1997 Dauntless 17' last year. Changed out the original Yamaha 130 Saltwater Series 2-stroke for a 90 hp Suzuki 4-stroke, and absolutely LOVE the new motor. Purrs like a kitten; no more smoke; starts right up like your car; and (I'm not exaggerating!!) my fuel economy has more than doubled!!!

Curiously, the two engines are the same weight despite the 40 hp difference. My Dauntless is heavy, 1500 lbs, and rated for 90-130 hp. I could hit 36-37 knots with the old 130; the new 90 tops out at 29. So if you want to wakeboard or waterski with 3-4 peeps, a little underpowered. But I just fish, and she'll cruise all day at 22 knots getting about 4 mpg so I'm stoked.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend Suzuki for your re-power.

7. Aliikai17

Aliikai17 Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Less now
    Honda, I had 3 whalers. A 17' w/90, 20' w/150, and a 22' w/225 all worked for me!!
    I also owned a Suzuki and Yamaha. Never had problems with any 4strokes as long as you throttle up and down smooth. Good Luck!!! Don't get a etec you still need to use a shit load of oil...

8. Canyon

Canyon Mover

Name:
    Colin
    Boat:
    Anderson 22'
    Zuke or Yamaha. If you have shop close by which specializes in either, choose that motor.

9. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Whaler Guardian
    If you are buying new, yamaha has redesigned the f90 and it lost some weight. Make sure you get the newly designed f90 if thats what you decide. Otherwise the f70 is very good on the montauk at 270 lbs.....

ielgdpt likes this.
  10. pukahd

pukahd Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    I had 2 Montauks back in 2000-2010 or so and both had a Yamaha 90hp 2 strokers. The weigh was perfect. The only other suggestion that I recommend is that the Montauks bunny hop a bit, meaning the bow is light and it bounce quite a bit. I used a whale tail or wing added above the lower end wow it makes a huge difference. The boat still pounded but it eliminated the bow hop.

11. PaDDy Killer'

PaDDy Killer' Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    I have a Merc 90 4 stroke on my 17' Moutauk that it came with factory. No issues. But if I was going new I would go Yamaha. But I am a whore for Yamaha, best outboard imo.

12. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    I second being a Yamaha whore but LOVE the Merc that came with my boat.

13. fly liner

fly liner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18.5 wahoo/21' crystaliner /15' prowler
    I recently repowered my 18.5 wahoo with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke and couldn't be happier. I've seen 5 mpg and top out around 36 knots....

Previously I had a 150 2 stroke that was either a mean machine or a head ache. It was a bit faster, But it was loud and drank gas.

onehottip likes this.
  14. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Whaler Guardian
    I know of a very nice lower hour 2009 yamaha f115 20" thats is available......

15. Ed Y

Ed Y Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    BW Montauk 170
    The 87 would have been a Montauk 17 vs the newer 170 and designed around older lighter 2 strokes. Not sure how well it'd do with the extra weight back there - I'm guessing from 2 stroke 70 to 4 stroke 90 is probably around 100 lbs?

16. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    90 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke LPDI.I went with the 2 stroke because of maintenance costs and weight factor.Great fuel mileage also.

onehottip likes this.
  17. onehottip

onehottip Member

Name:
    Guerms
    Boat:
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Does tohatsu still make a 2 stroke? I'm in same boat. No pun intended. I'm shopping for my wahoo also. I'm looking at the e tec 115 ho the Yamaha 115 or ?

18. onehottip

onehottip Member

Name:
    Guerms
    Boat:
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Hey josh, I have the same boat. Original owner. Who did your install? Can I ask what u paid otd

fly liner likes this.
  19. skipjack

skipjack Member

Name:
    skip
    Boat:
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    A buddy has a 17' Whaler with a 90 Etec. It does 35 mph and gets 5 mpg.
    I not a fan of 2 strokes but it runs sweet.

onehottip likes this.
  20. fly liner

fly liner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18.5 wahoo/21' crystaliner /15' prowler
    Last chance performance marine.
    Hemet Ca.

Great people. I had to go everything new, because I had a evinrude before, So controls, tach. Harnesses, prop. Extended warranty all said and done. $13,650.

If I remember right. That could be plus or minus a couple hundred.

Like stated above make sure you have a service center near you.

onehottip and repo805 like this.