castone001

Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
HowDee!

I am looking at a 17' Valco Bayrunner with a 50hp 4stroke and wondering how many folks have had one similar and what the comfort level is for taking it offshore?

Would be primarily used to haul down to Baja. Santo Thomas, San Quintin area, Gonzaga and BoLa etc. But also local SCAL off shore?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I have had mine out over 60 miles offshore here and over 100 miles off Mexico in the PV area... (Tres Marias Island)

Very capable boats. Just need to pay attention to the weather reports and use common sense.

Upvote 0

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
from Richmond marina to Cordell Banks is the furthest I ran my Bayrunner.
maybe 50-60 miles one way! Run two bilge pumps and go for it! Those things will ride the waves and swell! American panga!!!!! I had two of those disc herniation and love them. They just don't love me! Got to go lay down now! You'll see!

Reactions: colemans224
Upvote 0

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
by the way castone (Chris) I think you are the guy I bought my quad from almost 10 years ago now.........still have it. Just rode the shit out of it a few weeks ago in Glamis.

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
I had one and used it in the ocean the majority of tIme,there are many advantages to a tin boat,and a few disadvantages,pros: towing,gas usage,less hp needed,easier clean up,great in lakes,cons: one of the biggest is the wind and bigger seas,as mentioned always be aware of the weather conditions,things change quickly,all in all I really enjoyed the skiff and if the price was right I would consider another!

Reactions: catalin
Upvote 0

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
I had the 19' model for years. Towed it all over Baja. Eventually sold it and bought 21' in 2004 that I still have. It lives at LA Bay. Awesome boats that are totally seaworthy. I love the tall freeboard. NEVER takes on water. Floats right over waves. But they will beat the shit out of you when the weather picks up or when you insist on going fast. Look it over good for corrosion. Especially the transom around any holes that were drilled for transducers, etc. In it's element (bays and Baja - Sea of Cortez) they are awesome boats. Can drag them right up on the beach. No concerns about dinging up the fiberglass. But for a long run offshore I would much rather have fiberglass for the comfort factor. The other great thing about the Bayrunners is the seating options. Anywhere you are standing on the boat you can sit or even lay down for a nap on the combing. Can't do that on most other boats.

Upvote 0

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
The other thing about the 17' and 19' is they are both very "tippy". If you or your fishing partners are big/heavy you need to watch each other carefully and move around on the boat to balance it. I had precarious moments when I had a fat boy on the boat and he either walked towards me or lost his balance and fell towards me. They are also very wet boats when driving into a windy chop. The 21' is a whole different animal. Much bigger in every dimension and much more stable and dry. In my opinion and experience the 21' is far superior to either of the smaller boats.

Upvote 0

gfg

Almost A Member
Apr 25, 2010
San Diego, CA
Name
G
Boat
N/A
Loved my 17 BBR - only issue that i saw was that because it was very light, it was challenging to manage when running with the swells (e.g., making the north to south coastal run from LJ back into SD harbor) - at times had to throttle up and down constantly so as not to risk "surfing" the boat. A little tricky to handle but loved the fact that it was so easy to launch and recover solo.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
I had one for 15 years and took it plenty of times on the 425, 371, 302 route and caught tons of fish in it. Pick your weather days, where an inflatable life jacket and have fun!

Upvote 0