17.5' center console, Dana Point, Catalina, La Jolla, San Diego, Coronado. Later this month

PENN

Constantine

Sep 13, 2014
Name
Constantine
Boat
20ft Pursuit
I'm a northern California salmon fisherman heading down to pick up my 17.5' center console from Dana point in about a week. I would really like to catch some fish that I don't normally have the oppurtunity for such as yellow tail, WSB, and possibly tuna if I'm lucky. I have heard of fish being caught down there and really want input on where I should be planning a trip. Was originally thinking about fishing/camping at catalina but have been hearing a lot more reports of fish around LA Jolla and Coronado. I really need to make this a fun trip as I don't know when I'll be towing my boat down there again and my dad was in a serious car accident and is recovered enough to finally fish. I am originally from Dana point but moved to Eureka almost 10 years ago so you can be sure if you share any info I won't be crowding your spots this summer. Maybe you want a buddy boat if your planning a trip as well. Also what are the rules on Coronado? Do you need permits, passport, Mexico card or what?

Upvote 0

kohatsu19

Aug 6, 2009
Long Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
NA
Hey dude hit me up to buddy boat it later this month. I spoke to you before when you had your boat listed. Glad all is well, let's fish.

Reactions: Constantine
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Grab a buddy boat or an experienced fisherman to go with you. I'm sure there are plenty.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
if you want to camp while here it;s not cheap or private but campland on the bay is just minutes from a launch ramp in either san diego or mission bay.The good part is you can have your boat right in the camp site with you and not have to dismantle everything worth stealing like you would parked in a hotel parking lot.
You'll need a mexican fishing lic and permit for being there and there are plenty of threads on how to get them here. This time of year afternoons can be quite windy so you want to be on the water at first light.By far the best way to kill some yellows or seabass is live bait ,,,do you have a tank?
pm me if you like and i'll be glad to put you on a yellow at lj. I've been fishing la jolla since 1972 and caught thousands of yt there.

http://www.campland.com/
http://sdfish.com/saltwater/get-your-passports-mexico-issues-new-requirements-for-anglers/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Constantine

Sep 13, 2014
Name
Constantine
Boat
20ft Pursuit
Well it's probably too late to get a passport, but I would at least like to try for something fun while I'm down. I'm going to look into conditions as I have heard it might be too windy. I wish I could hit the bite off coronado right now, but even to come back with yellowtail would be amazing. I head down Monday and will be there for about a week. Let me know if anyone wants to go fishing.

Upvote 0

Constantine

Sep 13, 2014
Name
Constantine
Boat
20ft Pursuit
Hey dude hit me up to buddy boat it later this month. I spoke to you before when you had your boat listed. Glad all is well, let's fish.
Message me for my phone, I head down Monday and will be there about a week

Upvote 0

Constantine

Sep 13, 2014
Name
Constantine
Boat
20ft Pursuit
I think I'm gonna try La Jolla tomorrow morning if anyone is also going let me know

Upvote 0

Constantine

Sep 13, 2014
Name
Constantine
Boat
20ft Pursuit
Well nobody wanted to fish with us, but we had a great day anyways. Found some fish, nice day on the water with Dad. Here is a little Calico I got
IMG_20160502_124915_01.jpg

Upvote 0

smazza123

1997 Spectrum great riding skiff
Aug 29, 2014
Oceanside
Name
steve mazza
Boat
19' spectrum
Hopefully your trip worked out well. I formally lived up your way and fished the Shenandoah out of Trinidad. Fun light tackle rock fishing up there. Hopefully you got your answers. I was fishing Catalina on Wes under a groupon deal. If you are still around it is worth the 48 bucks to go on a 3/4 day out of Newport. That 48 bucks included breakfast and lunch. Now I would not go on the weekend but if you can get bait and find out where fish are being caught then take your own boat to the spot you know is holding. I would agree that if you have the necessary docs to go to the Coronados out of San Diego, you may just get some tuna.

Upvote 0