Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Sold long ago
I had both reels.

I am going to throw a curve ball in the proceedings.

A 20VISX is a better choice than both reels. Slightly larger and heavier. But -

Bigger handle.
More line capacity.
Same retrieve rate.
More Drag
A much better cow reel
Casts better than the Mak same as the 16VISX

I have since sold my Mak and Visx 16 - dont see the need for that size reel
This is a resurrection of an Oct 2017 thread, yours is a great answer!
I ended up with a MAK16 because of a lack of availability of the VISX16 at the time.. Fished it with 600yds of 80lb Izor with a 100lb floro top shot. Personal best was a 210lb YFT on the Intrepid. Never felt undergunned but line capacity became a concern when fish made a long run and I still had lines all over mine. Finally cleared the lines and was able to pull and turn fish. Reel cast better than my MAK20's but I have not fished a VISX yet.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Reactions: MadHatches

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat Name
Intrepid
Have both VISX's and Maks but I like the ergonomics on the Maks better...the crank and shifter on the VISX extend out too far for me....both are excellent reels just a matter of personal choice. Caught my personal best on a Mak 16...317#....reel was perfect but IMO it is not my first choice of a cow reel like a Mak 20.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat Name
Zodiac
I had 50,30 and 16 visx sold them all. VSX are better for me.
Hmmm why is that? I've picked up a lightly used VSX 12 and from what I can tell the main difference between the VISX is a bit of weight, bigger clicker know and you can't turn off the clicker sound (although well oiled keeps it pretty quiet)

Last edited:

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
Hmmm why is that? I've picked up a lightly used VSX 12 and from what I can tell the main difference between the VISX is a bit of weight, bigger clicker know and you can't turn off the clicker sound (although well oiled keeps it pretty quiet)

To clarify, the sound you hear on the VSX series is the anti-reverse. Very solid, but engineered a couple of decades ago. I get e-mails all the time from people asking how to "turn the clicker off".

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
VISX 12 is a great reel. Massive fish stopping power in a small package.

My favorite 12VISX story is from Guadalupe a few years ago, amidst a severe shark invasion.
Fairly new angler using one of my 12VISX loaners with 80-pound, drag hammered down trying to get the fish in ahead of the shark.
Unfortunately, a massive 2,000+ pound GWS inhaled the tuna right at the boat, and turned, with the line miraculously sliding just to that one tiny spot in the corner of its mouth where there are no teeth.
The giant monster then swam off, clearly not encumbered by the force of the drag, but just bothered enough that he kept going faster and faster. As the line melted off the reel, we kept waiting for something to break inside of it, but it never did.
Finally with the line level quite low, it mercifully broke with what had to be over 50 pounds of drag on the diminished spool.
After letting the reel cool off, it seemed none the worse for wear, and we actually started using it again the next day.

chilidip

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC
    To clarify, the sound you hear on the VSX series is the anti-reverse. Very solid, but engineered a couple of decades ago. I get e-mails all the time from people asking how to "turn the clicker off".

I purchased a VSX16 that was hotrodded by Cal with the lower gear & finished with a nice T-bat handle. It was a tank of a reel that no doubt would have handled a cow sufficiently. Went into Young’s Tackle shortly thereafter and picked up a VISX16.. sold the VSX16 soon thereafter. The difference in the weight between the 2 made me opt for the VISX.. in a New York second.

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    Seems its nice to revisit this thread with the blue fin tunas are closer to home now.

These are 2 great reels Mak 16sea vis a vis 16visx…with the later have now performed more years since its release…

Reactions: 7emptsT
    Upvote 0

mischief1

Jun 30, 2008
    Canyon Country CA
    Name
    Dennis
    Boat Name
    24 Skipjack "Catchit"
    I like the older 16S spooled up with 600 yards of Jerry Brown hollow free spool like mad
    For sale $ 500.00

image.jpg

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

MadHatches

Dec 15, 2014
    Pasadena
    www.houghtonfoto.com
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Aloha Spirit
    Have both VISX's and Maks but I like the ergonomics on the Maks better...the crank and shifter on the VISX extend out too far for me....both are excellent reels just a matter of personal choice. Caught my personal best on a Mak 16...317#....reel was perfect but IMO it is not my first choice of a cow reel like a Mak 20.
    Very helpful comment. Comparing these 2 reels and new to getting a rail rod so, although not the same as pulling on a beast on the rail, it certainly helps me. So thank you!

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Almost A Member
    Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat Name
    Outer Limits
    I’m sort of a Penn guy but like variety. Have had Mak’s, Penn’s, Accurate’s, and even Duel’s.

At least for now I’m sporting Torques 15N, 25N, 40N with VSIXS 12,16,20, 50, 50SEW. I also have a few Accurates including ATD30, Mak 10, and Avet narrow Raptor to fill the ranks.

I could easily switch all of that out for equivalent Mak’s and be happy. Silly but still like to support the USA.

Lastly, I figured out that he rods are critical. Maybe more so than the reels. Currently I’m fishing mostly UC but Seeker, Phoenix, Calstar and others are great too. I spent the extra $$ for custom so they fit me.

With respect to Mak vs VISX I defer to Alan Tani. I know what he will say but I’ll let him say it:)

Reactions: MadHatches
    Upvote 0

MJ73

Sep 6, 2016
    Utah
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    None
    There is nothing perfect, until they take a Super Duty and place a Cummins and an Allison in the power train.

Mechanical reels today are all great. Brand blind is a good thing. You would be far better served if you go to a tackle shop blindfolded and find what fits you best. Ergonomics and use is far more important than the opinion of some one who could be a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier, with large hands. We still have to turn the handle, what is best won’t help with that aspect if is uncomfortable to fish. The magic pill is hit the gym!!!

Upvote 0

MadHatches

Dec 15, 2014
    Pasadena
    www.houghtonfoto.com
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Aloha Spirit
    There is nothing perfect, until they take a Super Duty and place a Cummins and an Allison in the power train.

Mechanical reels today are all great. Brand blind is a good thing. You would be far better served if you go to a tackle shop blindfolded and find what fits you best. Ergonomics and use is far more important than the opinion of some one who could be a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier, with large hands. We still have to turn the handle, what is best won’t help with that aspect if is uncomfortable to fish. The magic pill is hit the gym!!!
    I am certainly brand blind and looking for opinions from experienced rail rod guys here. Have checked out both reels and both feel great. Looking for the small details I might miss....like drag curve out of the box, torque to lift (which seems to favor the Mak) and that is the heart of the board here. I enjoy the opportunity to ask questions and learn from super knowledgeable people here and keep improving my own craft and experiences

Upvote 0

MJ73

Sep 6, 2016
    Utah
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    None
    Absolutely! If you can’t instantly change from 2nd to 1st gear what good does that do you? If the reel doesn’t fit you that is a problem.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Almost A Member
    Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat Name
    Outer Limits
    Ok. Don’t know if Alan Tani will see or reply to this thread. He likes and fishes both Mak’s and VISX’s. I think he would tell you out of the box the Mak SEA is great. The VISX requires some tweaks. That said he and I fish the tweaked VISX’s. But that is purely personal preference. I like the shifting mechanism, geometry, gearing, and US manufacture. Most everyone I know with Mak’s love ‘em. And boats like NTNC in PV fish them exclusively for cows( of course Alan blueprinted those reels for them too).

Bottom line is you can’t go wrong either way.

Upvote 0

MJ73

Sep 6, 2016
    Utah
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    None
    Same as golf clubs. Blades and x100’s are not meant for everyone. We all have loyalty and love certain things. I prefer red heads.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Almost A Member
    Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat Name
    Outer Limits
    Maybe we need to include Shimano, Diawa , FinNor, Alutecnos and other reels.

For the record when I played golf I kept getting better clubs . Eventually I figured out it was the golfer that was the problem.

Reactions: MJ73
    Upvote 0