Dexter Outdoors

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
I have a soft spot for the mak 16 sea. I sold my 16 visx just didn't feel right for me. I've killed a few big fish on the mak 16 including two cows. For fly lining during the day with mixed grade of fish around it is pretty much my go to reel.

Reactions: Tackleho619
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Yah but your gnarlier now.

Remember 5 going in the bow with you on your first cow. Stoked the 298 did not need to be dropped out. Because it hit the deck 30 minutes before the rest with a single gaff shot at first.

If you hooked your first cow on a 16 or the super for me on a 16. I dunno back then. I think the 283 would had been lost for sure on a 16 and the 298 would had made it on the boat, maybe

The top 3 largest YFT that I have ever seen in person. 2 came on my 130# fluoro flyline and 1 on my slow troll with 200# mono. Makes one think heavy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The Clip and HB trip before. All flyline bites came on hush hush 90 seaguar. Kept that a secret

I told myself before that 10 day watching the preview at the LB. If a good amount of fish over 250 is around. I'm dropping in with 130# and sticking with it no matter what. No one had 5 big fish (right) but the 130# which beat the gun boat record and largest brace of fish ever on back to back bites. While others fished 100#

I get great satisfaction fishing heavier and getting the most bites.

I fish 2# for largemouth

Raised fishing sardines.

Get a 3/4 day boat regular or crew. With the right gear. And they will smoke everyone

Reactions: canyonman
Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
I know I’m in the minority with this but I’ve killed 5 cows and a super now on my VISX16 and I do consider it a 100# reel and have used 130# top shots as well. When the time came to get another, I chose the 12VISX rather than the 20 or 50 like most would do. Why? I just enjoy fishing this way.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
I know I’m in the minority with this but I’ve killed 5 cows and a super now on my VISX16 and I do consider it a 100# reel and have used 130# top shots as well. When the time came to get another, I chose the 12VISX rather than the 20 or 50 like most would do. Why? I just enjoy fishing this way.
How long was the fight then till you landed it? Never came to mind you wish you’re using a 20 or 50? 🤔

Upvote 0

fishordie

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Please delete

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good afternoon all,

In my opinion, there will be those that come into our shop who might love both reels, those who choose one over the other because of perception and those who rely on the opinions of others... However, when our customers ask the question of which manufacturer they should go with I give the following response:

First off, I show them the similarities in the reels... Both are extremely well built, both are more like Mack Trucks vs. finesse style reels and both will get the job done on most any West Coast, long or short range species... I ask if their initial opinions, coming into the shop are Penn or Okuma as some folks want to keep all their reels with the same manufacturer or are curious about the competitors versions..

Second: I have them feel in their hands the slight differences in tactile feel of the reels. The feel of pushing and pulling the drag levers, changing gears both while cranking and static, the feel of the side plates and frame with their non winding hand... both cupping from the side as well as cupping from the top of the reel. No right or wrong answer.. I have them hold the reel and make several 360 degree cranks of the handle, both in low and high gear.. I then ask does one feel better or different than the other.. Some folks say yes and some do not notice a stark difference.

Third, and in my opinion, most important, I show them the difference in how the crank handle/knob angles are slightly different but give each version of these heavy duty work horses its own individual characteristic. I have them crank each again to see if they can now feel that difference in knob angle as they go thru the 360 degree motions..90% of the folks then actually notice the difference... Some might like one over the other and some will not be affected.

Invariably, I will be asked about the difference in gearing between the two.. My answer is that unless the angler has some pre-conceived notion about gear ratio's, 99% of the angler's will not notice the differences in actual combat situations once they have a reasonable stand up fish fighting and rail rod technique... Once the anglers get a bit more info on how to use the rods in an efficient manner, I do not believe the gear ratio's, one slightly higher than the other, will be noticeable by the majority of anglers while fighting a big fish.. After all, each of these manufacturers did their own extensive testing and came up with their version of the best gear ratio's for their product.

Side by side testing or with a hanging weight while cranking is one thing, but once the angler starts using the rod to do the majority of the work, the gear ratio thing becomes so much less relevant in either gear.. However, to those who care about a low low gear or, like me, a higher than normal gear ratio, then gear ratio becomes a relevant point... Again, the overwhelming majority of our customers do not over think this part of the equation and do not worry about the difference in gear ratios between the two reels once they are on the fish...unless they are not using proper technique...

Finally, if the customer wishes, we can put each reel on a test rod and show the feel of each reel in their hands while the rod is bent on our test rail or while stand up angling.. If the customer want's, I can tweak their fish fighting techniques to see if they can develop a better feel, Better leverage, try different body angles and off hand holding techniques to see if they like one reel over the other..

The great news is, again, in my opinion, there is no better or best between these two reel manufacturers as a generic statement.. Both Reels will get the job done beautifully, especially if the angler is using good fish fighting techniques. Both are the Mack Trucks of reels.. Now, it is up to each angler to make their best informed decision to choose based on their own sense of feel... Heck, nothing wrong with choosing the one you think is prettiest... Again, no right or wrong answer.. Both are AWESOME reels.

Now, Reel Size,, Thats a whole different subject but the above will still apply to which manufacturer to choose.

If you have any other questions you are welcome to PM me..

Have a great season..

Jamie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Good afternoon all,

In my opinion, there will be those that come into our shop who might love both reels, those who choose one over the other because of perception and those who rely on the opinions of others... However, when our customers ask the question of which manufacturer they should go with I give the following response:

First off, I show them the similarities in the reels... Both are extremely well built, both are more like Mack Trucks vs. finesse style reels and both will get the job done on most any West Coast, long or short range species... I ask if their initial opinions, coming into the shop are Penn or Okuma as some folks want to keep all their reels with the same manufacturer or are curious about the competitors versions..

Second: I have them feel in their hands the slight differences in tactile feel of the reels. The feel of pushing and pulling the drag levers, changing gears both while cranking and static, the feel of the side plates and frame with their non winding hand... both cupping from the side as well as cupping from the top of the reel. No right or wrong answer.. I have them hold the reel and make several 360 degree cranks of the handle, both in low and high gear.. I then ask does one feel better or different than the other.. Some folks say yes and some do not notice a stark difference.

Third, and in my opinion, most important, I show them the difference in how the crank handle/knob angles are slightly different but give each version of these heavy duty work horses its own individual characteristic. I have them crank each again to see if they can now feel that difference in knob angle as they go thru the 360 degree motions..90% of the folks then actually notice the difference... Some might like one over the other and some will not be affected.

Invariably, I will be asked about the difference in gearing between the two.. My answer is that unless the angler has some pre-conceived notion about gear ratio's, 99% of the angler's will not notice the differences in actual combat situations once they have a reasonable stand up fish fighting and rail rod technique... Once the anglers get a bit more info on how to use the rods in an efficient manner, I do not believe the gear ratio's, one slightly higher than the other, will be noticeable by the majority of anglers while fighting a big fish.. After all, each of these manufacturers did their own extensive testing and came up with their version of the best gear ratio's for their product.

Side by side testing or with a hanging weight while cranking is one thing, but once the angler starts using the rod to do the majority of the work, the gear ratio thing becomes so much less relevant in either gear.. However, to those who care about a low low gear or, like me, a higher than normal gear ratio, then gear ratio becomes a relevant point... Again, the overwhelming majority of our customers do not over think this part of the equation and do not worry about the difference in gear ratios between the two reels once they are on the fish...unless they are not using proper technique...

Finally, if the customer wishes, we can put each reel on a test rod and show the feel of each reel in their hands while the rod is bent on our test rail or while stand up angling.. If the customer want's, I can tweak their fish fighting techniques to see if they can develop a better feel, Better leverage, try different body angles and off hand holding techniques to see if they like one reel over the other..

The great news is, again, in my opinion, there is no better or best between these two reels as a generic statement.. Both Reels will get the job done beautifully, especially if the angler is using good fish fighting techniques. Both are the Mack Trucks of reels.. Now, it is up to each angler to make their best informed decision to choose based on their own sense of feel... Heck, nothing wrong with choosing the one you think is prettiest... Again, no right or wrong answer.. Both are AWESOME reels.

If you have any other questions you are welcome to PM me..

Have a great season..

Jamie
WELL SAID JAMIE.....as what No Cal Lou said...GET BOTH if Undecided, I will. 👍😂🎣

Reactions: Bob Sands
Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I have Mak 16 sea on a 7’6” centaur, great set up.

I have the same setup and love it. That said I'm not sure there is a "right" answer for this question because the VISX 16 is a badass reel to. You'll need to have both in hand side by side and make your decision off what feels best.

Reactions: DesotoBound
    Upvote 0

JonathanMM

Nov 29, 2011
    San Pedro, CA, USA
    Name
    Jonathan Mitsumori
    Boat
    Tinker Toy
    For what it worth, (my 2c): The Mak and Penn are both bullet proof, no objections there, but I happen to be a Tac guy, (8II to 25II). I like them for weight, reliability, drags and cast-ability. My 25II and 20II are both blue printed by Cal with lower gears and T-bar handle, (no excuses). 25II has about 750 yds of 100# Izor solid spec with 100# FC top shot. 20II has about 550 yds of 100# Izor solid spec with either 60 or 80# FC top shot. I've always blue printed my cow reels. Last one I have have is old Penn 50S, sold or gave away others. Blue printing is a relatively small cost in the world of SD long fishing to sleep well at night.
    Pull Hard
    Jonathan

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I've read all the threads I could find on the VISX reels and, while there is mention of the MAK in comparison, I found nothing that really compares the two reels real world.

Has anyone had the chance to use both reels?

I need a new 80/100lb castable reel (want a lot, do not need anything) and these two are my front runners. Of course a new reel will ultimately lead to "I need a new Centaur 76 because..." it's a vicious circle.
    I haven't fished the VISX, but I've had a Mak 16 since it was introduced. Caught numerous Yellowfin over 150# on it, it's a fantastic reel! I have no doubt it could handle a cow in the right hands. It's drag is buttery smooth, freespools's extremely well, and is built like a tank! Plus that tiburon handle is awesome as well. I'm sure the Visx is a outstanding reel as well, and you probably couldn't go wrong either way. I fish a 60 -80# Topshop of floro, a use 80# pound izor solid spectra, it's kinda my stealth presentation bait rig, and have it on a 8 foot UC Raptor, that is rail ready.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    I use a Mak 16II SEa on a Calstar GF775XH for 80 lbs. rig targeting BFT. I am confident I could land a cow bluefin on that rig if all goes well. I would want at least the next size up in rod & reel if cow-sized YFT are the target. YFT fight harder for the same size fish (larger tail to body ratio).

The Penn 20 VISX is an excellent reel too. I have landed big tuna with it. The gear ratios are the main difference between them. The Mak 16 has a much lower low-gear ratio. It is best if you determine which one fits better in your hands on a rod. They are both built very strong and engineered better than any other reels I know for their size.

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: Russ Scholl
    Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Almost A Member
    Apr 1, 2018
    Tuscaloosa
    Name
    Russ Scholl
    Boat
    Kayaks
    A nice feature on the 16VISX is you can change the stock handle to one of the larger models.

The 20 handle is a direct replacement. It has a larger knob area. For those with bigger hands its a great option.

Only issue is all the the handles are going to fill orders right now. The 20 handles will be available for resale around the mid to end of December time frame.

The MAK is a great reel. It redefined what a 16 sized reel's capabilities should be.

The VISX is another choice for anglers. And for all of the points made previously it becomes a matter of preference as IMO the two reels are very close in performance.
    Thanks John-you are always helpful.

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Almost A Member
    Apr 1, 2018
    Tuscaloosa
    Name
    Russ Scholl
    Boat
    Kayaks
    I use a Mak 16II SEa on a Calstar GF775XH for 80 lbs. rig targeting BFT. I am confident I could land a cow bluefin on that rig if all goes well. I would want at least the next size up in rod & reel if cow-sized YFT are the target. YFT fight harder for the same size fish (larger tail to body ratio).

The Penn 20 VISX is an excellent reel too. I have landed big tuna with it. The gear ratios are the main difference between them. The Mak 16 has a much lower low-gear ratio. It is best if you determine which one fits better in your hands on a rod. They are both built very strong and engineered better than any other reels I know for their size.

- Jeff Burroughs
    Thanks for sharing such good information for us newbies Jeff.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Love my Mak 16. Got three cows on it so far. It’s basically personal preference. I own a mak 16 AVET hxw raptor and an accurate 12. I use them all with confidence. I added a visx 12 but sold it shortly after purchase

If you don’t mind my asking why did you sell the VISX 12? I’ve been thinking about getting one

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
    brooklyn
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    Independence
    Just personal preference It was a nice reel, just not what I was looking for. If you are still undecided I would physically check out all your options if possible

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Of the two which one had smaller side plates?

The reason I ask is that I've got smaller hands and want one I can hold comfortably with my left hand on the side plate
    I believe the VISX 16 is smaller than the Mak 16. Also weighs less, 36 oz for penn and 41 oz for okuma.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0