16VISX vr MAK16SEa

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Olddog8, Oct 8, 2017.

1. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Jonathan, have you caught a cow on the Tac 25? If so, curious as to how the gear ratio worked out. As others have said, on a big fish the Mak 16’s lower low gear might be an advantage. On smaller fish perhaps not so much. I get what you are saying about spool weight which is why I prefer my ATD 12 to the Mak 16. My son however likes the Mak so a lot of this is personal preference.

harddrive and Olddog8 like this.
  2. dh515

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Some additional info on these reels:

Makaira 16 gear ratio 4.3:1 high, 1.3:1 low. Inches per crank 39.2/11.8”
    Penn Visx 16 gear ratio 4.6:1 high, 1.4:1 low. Inches per crank 40/14”
    Talica 25ii gear ratio 5.2:1 high, 2.3:1 low. Inches per crank 46/20”

3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    So.... anybody want to share their cow catches on a Tac 25?

Come on.... the Tac 25 II has been out for 7 years now.....

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    ReelDealAngler- likes this.
  4. JonathanMM

JonathanMM Newbie

Name:
    Jonathan Mitsumori
    Boat:
    Tinker Toy
    Dave
    Not yet, working on it. I'm one of those anal people that leaves no stone un-turned, no excuses. I've had all my big reels blue printed. Cal Sheets added the low gears to it. Yes, I know it's crazy and could have use an out of box Mak SE. I looked at the $250 I spend as money well spent in the big picture. Think of how much we all spend on tackle and trips. Personal preference for lighter reel, casting and reliability/maintenance.

Pull Hard
    Jonathan

5. dh515

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Kindred spirit here. I’ve been eyeballing the Tac 25 for awhile, knowing that to suit my purpose it would have to go to Cal’s. I’ve got three ATD’s and all have been to him with two getting lower gears.

6. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Just beware of the dog and pony show going on here with regards to line capacity... your true "actual" line capacity may vary (especially so when a recently certified line counter is being used). Line capacity is all about diameter, if diameter is too thin compared to others of equal stated pound test you generally have abrasion and durability issues, and its going to break a lot closer to the stated pound test (most super braid lines are considerably underrated with regards to stated pound test). Solid packs better so if diameter is equal to that of hollow in the same pound test or ABS you can actually get 10 to 15% more solid on a reel than hollow when packed properly under proper high tension. IMO, solid fishes better on the fly line (and in general), it also casts better as it tends not to dig into itself or catch on itself like hollow does. Solid is also CONSIDERABLY less cost as well. There is no "magic" to line capacity (no special line winding tricks as some would have you believe)... its all about DIAMETER as it relates to ABS.

With regards to pure cranking power and still being able to cast a fly line bait with a lighter spool that has excellent free spool... I really like my Tiburon SST 16's... now granted the overall weight is heavier than most, but that's because its built like a tank and it has the largest, thickest stainless steel gears you can get in that size of a reel (no comparison IMO)... mucho grinding power and plenty of drag (28lbs at strike) with the after mod drag spacer that Tiburon offers... add to that a long handle blade and the original T-bar knob which is the best IMO for power cranking under heavy load and you end up with top end performance. Auto-shift is the other bonus.

G

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    falconer likes this.
  7. reelconcerned

reelconcerned Member

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    n/a
    I have both the 16 visx's and the mak 16 sea, both are great reels although I have not fished the 16 visx yet, (a lot of garage time). I noticed I need the larger handle/knob on the 20 visx to fit my hands. I have talked to (Joe) at trophy tackle and hopefully will send me a couple handles before my December 10th trip. The 16 sea I have caught several tuna in the 150lb class, great reels (cow capable) especially with the 1:3:1: ratio, but require more maintenance on the spool bearing than other reels that I have fished. line capacity is about the same approximately 650yds....Paul

Rodless_Jim, JohnTFT, Olddog8 and 2 others like this.
  8. falconer

falconer Member

Name:
    Doug Pineo
    Boat:
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    I bought a 16VSX a few years ago sent it to Cal with a Tiburon handle. He shaved the spool, blueprinted, installed a 1:3-1 lower low gear and the Tib handle. For about $740.00 total I got a reel that's pretty comparable to the new 16 VISX. I have it set up with 600 yds of 100# JB hollow and it will indeed cast a sardine on a UC Viper I wrapped.as a rail rod. Being built more or less like Woody Allen, I need all the help I can get!

TrixKelly, Rodless_Jim and JohnTFT like this.
  9. falconer

falconer Member

Name:
    Doug Pineo
    Boat:
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    Yes, the Tib T-Bar handle is ergonomically the best out there for comfort and turning an individual's maximum capacity into lbs. of torque on the spool.

ReelDealAngler- likes this.
  10. Statistico

Statistico Statistition

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    None
    Just added the 16visx to my quiver. I fell in love with it as I held it for the first time.

The shop where I piuchased loaded it with a 550 yd spool of JB hollow 100lb, topping it off with 50yds of 130# ProSpec hollow. Put a loop on the end and we all pulled separately to test drag smoothness. I thought my boys were going to puddle the floor with excitement. They do a lot of line loading so I know from their experience with good fishermen that their opinion is golden.

Now waiting for January 10th for the true test.

AC51FDA0-A70C-4FCA-9B3F-638BDF1DEC54.jpeg 1885C566-437B-41D1-90D1-52BEDBAE76BE.jpeg

TrixKelly, nmthree, ifish42na and 4 others like this.
  11. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Funniest thing all day.

12. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    So Charkbait got 400 yards of their Chinese TT 100lb hollow line on one 16VISX and Joe's local tackle shop right up the road a bit got 600 yards of made in USA 100lb hollow line on his 16VISX. The very same reel! Nice independent confirmation of my calibrated line counter, thank you Joe. Now, tell me, who's got the dog and pony show RDA?

13. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    PS: John TFT filled the 16VISX with ProSpec Hollow 80: 950 yards. Holy shit, so many made in USA options.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Lone Shark and Olddog8 like this.
  14. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    The numbers are real. No reason for anybody to fudge them. We fill hundreds of reels a month. If we didnt have standards we couldnt be as efficient in doing it as we are.

We go to the spread sheet look up the fill capacities with different length topshots and windons and fill them with the appropriate amount of spectra.

And the notion that packing reels with spectra extra tight to allow the tackle shop to sell more line is nonsense.

I have tried it as my line winder can generate serious pressure.

The results are disastrous. Every reel except Penns and Tiagras get spool creep. They lose all free spool. On one popular brand in testing I was able to wipe out the main shaft bearings repeatedly in my destructive testing.

The idea that tackle shops play games with their line counters and winding pressures to get intended results is pure fantasy.

ripped, Fishybuzz, Bob Sands and 6 others like this.
  15. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    There will be times when low isn't low enough. ;)

16. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Just can't wait for you to go take a nap so I can fish a bait or two with it. ;)

17. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    First off Charkbait hasn't claimed ANYTHING on this thread (I don't personally use TT but have read the specs on it and if Mark chooses to he can chime in here). Mark doesn't troll for biz here on the SD Long Range Forum and is not a regular poster (unlike some shops who constantly do so)... so Mark is probably not aware of BD posted attacks on his TT product by east coast tackle shops. And if they really knew their line biz as well as they proclaim they do, they would know that the TT line that Charkbait sells (both retail and wholesale) is way under rated when it comes to ABS as Paulus would verify... so again they are comparing apples to oranges for THEIR OWN BENEFIT, especially when it comes to DIAMETER vs. ABS (which is VERY confusing in line biz here in the USA as there are NO set industry standards or government regulation currently in place) and that is what an angler TRULY needs to know. Just like the smoke and mirrors show when they were touting the more expensive higher than normal line capacity with that super thin per pound test (not to be mistaken for ABS) "Thread Lock" braid which doesn't state anywhere what fibers are used in making it (big ? there) and that product IS NOT MADE IN THE USA either... so go figure!

They may have convinced some that they need to buy their braid from them and have them wind it on "magically" to get the above normal line capacity they claim, but IMO based on 40+ years of west coast sport fishing experience and 15 years spent in the west coast tackle biz (at all levels) there is sincerely NO reason for ANY west coast angler to send their reel(s) across the country at their expense (and potential risk of loss) when there are so many competent tackle shops and reel repair/mod shops that can spool their reel up locally with whatever braid they desire based on the important factors: DIAMETER and ABS and get the same if not better line capacity results than the east coast "experts" claim.

G

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    TrixKelly and stephen campbell like this.
  18. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Wow!

I am LMAO.

19. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Jigstrike...

ifish42na, Tim Turis and JohnTFT like this.
  20. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    This guy should just quit with all the flirting and say what he really wants.

diabolicaldog likes this.