Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I have a 16 VSX that clicks all the time when reeling. The clicker is off. Its not a loud click, but enough that it gets the attention of other anglers around me and I'm sure they think i'm an idiot that has the clicker on. Is this normal, not that i'm an idiot, but the clicking sound? Regards.

PENN

Service Team
Advertiser
Jan 26, 2012
Philadelphia, PA, USA
www.pennfishing.com
Name
PENN
Boat
PENN
Thanks for the question. That is the anti-reverse dog and ratchet you are hearing.

I have a 16 VSX that clicks all the time when reeling. The clicker is off. Its not a loud click, but enough that it gets the attention of other anglers around me and I'm sure they think i'm an idiot that has the clicker on. Is this normal, not that i'm an idiot, but the clicking sound? Regards.

jarhead

Nov 19, 2007
Southern NJ
Name
Jim
Boat
Maycraft 2550
That is one awesome reel, I have one loaded with 80lb JB and use it for chunking YFT. And the clicking after a while you don't even hear it.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Yes sir. i love mine too. i'm gearing up slowly but surely to go on a 15 day LR trip out of SD. i'm looking at a 50 and 80 VSW to go along with the 16 on the trip. i have a Squall SQL60LD that i bought here while back for a 56 hour trip out in the GOM and it did a hell of a job. Looking at taking it as well as 2 - 113HN Baja specials. That amount of arsenal should round out what i would need i hope.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Leave the 80 out of your arsenal. With modern Braid the biggest reel you need to fish is a 50...MAYbe 50W... but most guys I know now are fishing 30 size reels for most of their cow fishing. Haven't seen an 80 in a while.

Remember, you are holding that set up in your hands for hours sometimes while fishing and an 80 weighs a ton.

best

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
This will not be recommended by Penn, but I just removed the ss plate on the right side of the reel, and all that noise went away. Imagine that!

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Thank you very much John, that's the kind of info i need. i've done numerous trips out in the GOF, but nothing compared to what you guys do on the west coast. Any help will be greatly appreciated on what type gear I need. Thanks again.
Thank you Tony, I'll do that. That clicking drives me crazier than i already am.
Jerry, are you a retired marine?

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
So Jerry, out of what i listed, you would leave out the 80 and recommend a 30 and 50 VSX with the 50 the go to reel for cows and maybe the 30 for a backup or maybe for smaller sized units? i'm 5-11, weight about 160, aint got much lead in my narrow ass. i would love to fight a cow stand up style, and i have the harnase for it, but in all reality i would have use the rail.

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
So Jerry, out of what i listed, you would leave out the 80 and recommend a 30 and 50 VSX with the 50 the go to reel for cows and maybe the 30 for a backup or maybe for smaller sized units? i'm 5-11, weight about 160, aint got much lead in my narrow ass. i would love to fight a cow stand up style, and i have the harnase for it, but in all reality i would have use the rail.
I would use the 30 for small bait like sardines. Then use the 50 for big baits like salamis. Also talk to the crew about what is around the boat and ask for their recommendation.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I appreciate it David.

Texlee,
Be careful about dipping your toes into the quicksand of long-range tackle addiction!
As mentioned, 80's are very rarely used, and then only for kite fishing. If necessary, the boat will have one for you to use.
How many rod/reel combos do you want to commit to?
It can get pretty wacky [and specialized], even to the point of having separate "dedicated" rigs all set and ready to go with such esoteric things as chunk baits and PL68 jigs, not to mention backups for your most-used combos, and even something "at the ready" just to catch bait.
However, consider this lineup:
113HN- long 50-pound topshot over 65 or 80-pound braid- Wahoo jigging and possibly yellowtail jigging if stopping at an island on the way down/home.
12VSX- fill w/65 or 80-pound braid, use w/50-60 pound topshots for "Guadalupe/Alijos grade" tuna [50-150 pounds].
16VSX- fill w/100-pound braid, use w/80-100 pound topshots for "mini cows" [125-199 pounds], or as a "finesse" rig for cows.
30VSX/50VSX- Stacked line system, 100-130 pound braid, use w/100-pound topshots as your "go to" sardine combo.
"IF" you can afford 2 of something, that would be the one.
50VSX- 130-pound braid [stacking optional], w/ 130-pound topshots as heavy sardine/big bait combo.
All of the above presumes a "cow" related trip of 10 days or longer; shorter trips [or even 10 days in the early season] will require several different [lighter] combos.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Tunanorth, that's exactly the kind of info i need. "Stacked line system"? please explain further. i am presuming what you mean is so many yards of ?# braid, so many yards of ?# braid and a mono/fluoro topshot. Thanks

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Tunanorth, that's exactly the kind of info i need. "Stacked line system"? please explain further. i am presuming what you mean is so many yards of ?# braid, so many yards of ?# braid and a mono/fluoro topshot. Thanks

Tex,
You are correct.
Generally it is a fairly short section [around 25 yards] of heavier braid [say 200] on top of the main section [maybe 700 yards] of 130-pound, plus the mono and/or fluoro. A few people may even stack 3 different braid tests.
Start a discussion on the topic down on the "Long Range" forum, I'm sure you will get a lot of differing opinions about what is best!

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
My 16s does that too..