woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    January.... just my personal preference. See who's out....when. The Lighter the pressure the better. Alijos could pay off as well with some nice YFT and YT.... on the way home if your trip is slower on the banks. Either way.... if your really going..... you can't lose.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    January puts the lower banks into the game plan

With the choice. I would go January but maybe March could be way better :D the really heavy winter fish that steered away from Clarion/Islands to make more big fish

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    I went a a charter that left the day after Xmas several times. The good part was we were the only boat down there for the 1st part of the trip so we'd have the bank to ourselves for a few days. The bad part was the was no code group coverage so no fresh intel on other areas like the lower banks. Also we got our ass kicked a couple times coming back in shit weather in January, less chance of storms in March.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Well I pulled the trigger and booked a spot on Bubba's trip on the indy Jan 6. I have not done a trip in 8-9 years now that the Dolphins gone what hotel is close?

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Don't think that it will matter that much. I have fished long trips from late November thru April in the past. Had good trips and poor trips during that time frame. A buddy and I just signed up for the Jan trip on the Indy.
    is that the Jan 6 trip? Bubba's?

Upvote 0

David Brewer

Jan 10, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Brewer
    Boat
    none
    is that the Jan 6 trip? Bubba's?
    Yes it is. This will be our first trip on the Indy, but I have fished with Bubba several times years ago when he was ab rep for Seeker. by the time our trip rolls around, it will be three years since my last trip. Look forward to sharing the rail with you.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Yes it is. This will be our first trip on the Indy, but I have fished with Bubba several times years ago when he was ab rep for Seeker. by the time our trip rolls around, it will be three years since my last trip. Look forward to sharing the rail with you.
    I have fished the indy before, Got my first cow, just a great boat! very well taken care of. I have not been on a trip in 8-9 years? Looking forward too it too.

Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    I have seen it good/ bad through the whole season. Its fishing, so you just have to work it hard if its slow. You likely will get some tuna, wahoo are more effected by pressure. The best wahoo bites I have seen came very early season, and really late in May.

Big tuna can pop almost anytime, fish hard and try to do something a bit different from others if it is slow. I got 5 tuna between 125 and 190 at Clarion on January 1, 2014 using a 5 ounce torpedo sinker while everyone was fly lining.

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I have seen it good/ bad through the whole season. Its fishing, so you just have to work it hard if its slow. You likely will get some tuna, wahoo are more effected by pressure. The best wahoo bites I have seen came very early season, and really late in May.

Big tuna can pop almost anytime, fish hard and try to do something a bit different from others if it is slow. I got 5 tuna between 125 and 190 at Clarion on January 1, 2014 using a 5 ounce torpedo sinker while everyone was fly lining.
    I agree with your advice, I'm going to take advantage of more night fishing too. even if I have to sleep for 3-4 hours and then get up and fish

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Have fished 14 dat trips in January, 15 days in late May and recently the 16 day last half of April. January and June Heat, I’ve experienced unbelievably great fishing and so-so fishing. The April trip this year on the Independence was very good. Just booked it for next year.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Have fished 14 dat trips in January, 15 days in late May and recently the 16 day last half of April. January and June Heat, I’ve experienced unbelievably great fishing and so-so fishing. The April trip this year on the Independence was very good. Just booked it for next year.
    Steve,

I hope you have another good trip on the Indy. next April!

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Hurricane Banks are hit a lot by the seiners. The long range fleet needs to re invent the long trips or who knows Mexico relax Revillagigedo restrictions for Sportfishing.

Reactions: JamesZ
    Upvote 0