Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
We mingled inline while getting called up for check in. Its about 5AM when I get over to the landing with my gear and treats for the crew. I am a little different than most anglers. I like to be last to check in and last to board the boat. i meet a bunch of anglers I have never fished with and the charter master Rick. After check in everything went smooth. The red shirts pushed our carts down to the Indy and I found my room downstairs and the crew helped me get everything down to the room and tackle box and rods and reels were tossed upstairs. Soon captain Matt comes on the loud speaker and says we our leaving soon. A few ticks go by on my watch and off we go. Next stop to get the bait we will need for the next 16 days. Captain welcomes everyone on board and gives the safety seminar after getting the beautiful sardines from the bait dock. Soon we clear the point and San Diego Is out of view. Most of the group have shared the rail for a few years. I am the new kid on this trip so I go meet everyone I don't know. Soon we are all having a grand old time relaxing inside the Indy and poker is in full swing. I pass as I wanted to get everything in order and take a nap. Before I know it dinner is on its way. A delicious prim rib with all the fixings is served up. The chief on the Indy ( Ed ) can cook up some incredible dishes. The next day Rick the charter master Says its time for some giveaways. Look I have been on over 60 of these long trips and I am shocked the amount of giveaways and work Rick did for everyone. 1st off everyone on the trip got a Graftect rail rod. Then out comes T-shirts - hats - sweatshirts and Raider Jigs. I thought the giveaways were over but I was wrong. Next we put our numbers in a hat and Rick is handing out the lucky angles Avet reels. 3 speed and 2 speed Avet reels now how cool is that.... next he is picking more numbers and handing out more Graftect rail rods and Avet reel bags. I want to thank Rick for all the giveaways and the endless hours he puts in on his trips making sure everyone is taken care of. The next day I wake up to smooth seas and the smell of breakfast. It will be a relaxing day for myself as I hop tables getting to know everyone on the boat. A great group of guys and I am excited to be part of the group. After breakfast captain Matt call out on the loud speaker... 9AM is our seminar. Everyone on our trip are seasoned angles but its a sellout for the info Matt is going to give us. Its about his game plan and a touch up on wahoo fishing. It lasted about 20 min. and we now know we out headed to hurricane bank and make sure your line is fresh on your reels.... Rick our charter master has free line in the galley with a line winder set up. Now the anglers on the trip are gearing up and its a frenzy out on the deck. I relax that day and wake up at 4 AM and have the deck to myself. I toss on a few reels and relax in the galley. Now we our into day 3 and I complete all my set ups and toss on some Basil wind on's and rig up some jigs for wahoo. The next day I will set my drags... arrival time is around 11AM to the bank. Soon the captain calls out... trolling team 1 your up. Soon I hear HOOK UP and I toss my wahoo jig out and after its where I want it I start to crank and boom I am hit and the Wahoo drops my jig. I keep reeling and I get hit again and he drops my jig. I take a break I see about 5 or 6 on jigs and bait coming over the rail. Next stop is about 5 min. latter and boom I get nailed on my green bomb. I crank and I crank and my first wahoo is boated. Around a 35 lbs. I end up getting 5 before we set up on the hook and try for the tuna. Soon I boated about a 60 lb tuna. I end up getting 3 small tuna in the 40-70 lb range and 5 wahoo for my 1st day. The next day we take another look around the bank around 8am but no hits on Wahoo until around 10am and its game on... the wahoo showed up in big numbers and they were big... 30-50 lbs and after the dust settled everyone had a few wahoo. I scored 9 wahoo and donated a few for lunch and dinner in the days to come. A few more tuna after sitting on the hook and now the wahoo are all around the boat. Anglers are running like mad men trying to keep up with there wahoo. A bunch more skins our boated and the wahoo leave and the tuna show up it numbers. Soon the kite is getting bit with 120-270 lb tunas putting the angler to the test. Many our boated on the kite as well on the fly lined bait. We stick it out on the bank and it payed big big time. Most anglers ended up with 10-15 wahoo and around 8-15 tuna anywhere from 40-277. All in all this was a trip the fish wanted to come out and play. We had a few heartbreaks and sharks at times were a pest but it ended up with some great fishing. My room mate Steve was a great room mate to have and a real fishing machine and a great guy. Ok what worked and what did not work.... Skip jack night fishing was a shark fest. Jig fishing or anything in the water before the sun came up was a shark. When the sun was up the sharks would move on but at times in the day a few would be around... not bad in the daylight hours. sardine fly line or with a 2 ounce weight worked very good. Wahoo fishing everything worked... bait - jigs- bombs your wahoo bombs that never had any luck worked at times. I want to thank the Indy crew for making this a fun trip and all the hard work and endless hours they work. Also a huge shout out to our charter master Rick for all the hard work he puts in making this a very special trip. I rebooked as soon as the fish sorting was complete. See some of you boys next year. Rick I will see you in July for your 7 day charter on the Indy.

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Shocking Soda has another killer trip! Thanks for sharing. Perhaps we will share the rail one of these days. Can you give me you fishing schedule for the next 2 years so I know when to plan on making at trip? LOL thanks again for the report.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Great report sir!

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
    Sep 9, 2004
    West LA
    Name
    Min
    Boat
    None
    Nice fishing with you Soda. You are one man with so much energy. Soda was using a Jimmy Bomb in green and was slaying them. I asked if I could borrow one and Soda gave me one and I got a fat wahoo on anchor with it. He gave multiple anglers green bombs too.

Last edited:
    Soda Pop
    Soda Pop
    Min it was a blast sharing the rail with you. We will have to do this again. Your a great guy and fun to be around.
    Upvote 0
    alan760
    alan760
    Can't believe you don't have a green bomb in your box Min. I keep at least 3 in my box along with extra skirt material. Sorry I couldn't make the trip but family duty called.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
    Sep 9, 2004
    West LA
    Name
    Min
    Boat
    None
    Hi guys.

Some pictures from the trip. Wahoo 30lbs + mostly all of them. No thin one this year.

JP picture. Rick Ozaki got third.

Jim Evans 85 years old. Showed us, young guys, now to fish.

JRI. Jerry was good enough to sell me an Intruder for the trip. My buddy and I used it for 8 wahoos. Most time only bite on the troll team.

95EDF8EC-5666-450A-8EDD-D7114FDE1589_1_105_c.jpeg
    7EEB31C5-0523-4044-9CDD-FA596268DCDD_1_105_c.jpeg
    C1D2CC6C-DE38-46A5-AE58-2A96BA3213B0_1_105_c.jpeg
    6E00A438-C12B-441F-826F-E49B547C7B66_1_105_c.jpeg
    AF8AC0BA-380A-4738-97B7-9935158775C7_1_105_c.jpeg
    7EE0EAD5-A41E-4838-9241-99CAC7DD264C_1_105_c.jpeg

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Fun trip, good crew, very good food. Matt is a great captain, running the kites but didn’t hesitate to fly down those stairs to work a crazy three way tangle. Easily apparent that he is in charge, making good decisions. Crew members Brian (Landfill) Romo, Billie, Ted and Forrest worked hard every day. Then late into the night scooping flyers for the kite. Ed (Chef) and Rolo did a fabulous job in the galley.

After a tough catching trip in 2019, I had decided to lay off these long trips. Then Covid wiped out my plans for 2020, so I just asked Lori of the American Angler to forward my deposits to 2021. But after getting vaccinated, I booked this trip, to take revenge on the virus. 2019 I was snakebit on my 14 day, couldn’t hook a tuna. Only five guys got to fish the kite. Pretty poor but we did kick the shit outa the Wahoo. But, I was bummed about the tuna, as you can catch Wahoo in the fall on an 8 or 10 day.

First two days, no tuna for me, but I did get a few Wahoo on the jig, Salas 6X Jr. Day three I had my first shot on the kite, 2 hour rotation and then move on to the next guy. I was nearly timed out after catching two or three sharks when the balloon went down, line released from the clip and I was on! Decent fish around 140. I was fishing a boat outfit with an Avet 50 wide 3 speed on a Super Seeker 3x5. Definitely the right gear, great watching the tail beat as I loaded up the rod and it lifted the fish.

Four more tuna for me for the trip, a small one on the kite and three on flylined Sardines. I used three different outfits for those fish. Mak16SEa with an 80 lb topshot on a 7’6” Viper, then my Super-Tuned BX2600N, 60 lb Premier on a Rainshadow rod I had built, RCJB90XX. Fished my newly acquired ATD Super 12 on the giveaway rod we all received, a Graftech XXH rail rod. 3/0 and 4/0 Ringed Mutu hooks were my choice.

Wahoo fishing was very good, I was happy to have caught 10, including two on the Surface Iron on a Salas 7X.

Met some really nice folks, the Rubio Brothers, Paul and Mike, Min and Max, Wayne, Larry, Louie, Frank, Ken, Matt, Clark, several others and of course our beyond generous chartermaster, Rick Ozaki, the Rodfather. He owns and operates West Coast Marketing and reps for Avet as well as owns Graftech.

My confidence restored, I’m hoping to book a 14-15 day for next year. Soda Pop is the fishing machine, relentless on the Wahoo! Couldn’t ask for a nicer guy for a roomie.

Upvote 0

Eric Ancog

Almost A Member
  • Mar 3, 2018
    Lakewood
    Name
    Eric Ancog
    Boat
    Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
    We mingled inline while getting called up for check in. Its about 5AM when I get over to the landing with my gear and treats for the crew. I am a little different than most anglers. I like to be last to check in and last to board the boat. i meet a bunch of anglers I have never fished with and the charter master Rick. After check in everything went smooth. The red shirts pushed our carts down to the Indy and I found my room downstairs and the crew helped me get everything down to the room and tackle box and rods and reels were tossed upstairs. Soon captain Matt comes on the loud speaker and says we our leaving soon. A few ticks go by on my watch and off we go. Next stop to get the bait we will need for the next 16 days. Captain welcomes everyone on board and gives the safety seminar after getting the beautiful sardines from the bait dock. Soon we clear the point and San Diego Is out of view. Most of the group have shared the rail for a few years. I am the new kid on this trip so I go meet everyone I don't know. Soon we are all having a grand old time relaxing inside the Indy and poker is in full swing. I pass as I wanted to get everything in order and take a nap. Before I know it dinner is on its way. A delicious prim rib with all the fixings is served up. The chief on the Indy ( Ed ) can cook up some incredible dishes. The next day Rick the charter master Says its time for some giveaways. Look I have been on over 60 of these long trips and I am shocked the amount of giveaways and work Rick did for everyone. 1st off everyone on the trip got a Graftect rail rod. Then out comes T-shirts - hats - sweatshirts and Raider Jigs. I thought the giveaways were over but I was wrong. Next we put our numbers in a hat and Rick is handing out the lucky angles Avet reels. 3 speed and 2 speed Avet reels now how cool is that.... next he is picking more numbers and handing out more Graftect rail rods and Avet reel bags. I want to thank Rick for all the giveaways and the endless hours he puts in on his trips making sure everyone is taken care of. The next day I wake up to smooth seas and the smell of breakfast. It will be a relaxing day for myself as I hop tables getting to know everyone on the boat. A great group of guys and I am excited to be part of the group. After breakfast captain Matt call out on the loud speaker... 9AM is our seminar. Everyone on our trip are seasoned angles but its a sellout for the info Matt is going to give us. Its about his game plan and a touch up on wahoo fishing. It lasted about 20 min. and we now know we out headed to hurricane bank and make sure your line is fresh on your reels.... Rick our charter master has free line in the galley with a line winder set up. Now the anglers on the trip are gearing up and its a frenzy out on the deck. I relax that day and wake up at 4 AM and have the deck to myself. I toss on a few reels and relax in the galley. Now we our into day 3 and I complete all my set ups and toss on some Basil wind on's and rig up some jigs for wahoo. The next day I will set my drags... arrival time is around 11AM to the bank. Soon the captain calls out... trolling team 1 your up. Soon I hear HOOK UP and I toss my wahoo jig out and after its where I want it I start to crank and boom I am hit and the Wahoo drops my jig. I keep reeling and I get hit again and he drops my jig. I take a break I see about 5 or 6 on jigs and bait coming over the rail. Next stop is about 5 min. latter and boom I get nailed on my green bomb. I crank and I crank and my first wahoo is boated. Around a 35 lbs. I end up getting 5 before we set up on the hook and try for the tuna. Soon I boated about a 60 lb tuna. I end up getting 3 small tuna in the 40-70 lb range and 5 wahoo for my 1st day. The next day we take another look around the bank around 8am but no hits on Wahoo until around 10am and its game on... the wahoo showed up in big numbers and they were big... 30-50 lbs and after the dust settled everyone had a few wahoo. I scored 9 wahoo and donated a few for lunch and dinner in the days to come. A few more tuna after sitting on the hook and now the wahoo are all around the boat. Anglers are running like mad men trying to keep up with there wahoo. A bunch more skins our boated and the wahoo leave and the tuna show up it numbers. Soon the kite is getting bit with 120-270 lb tunas putting the angler to the test. Many our boated on the kite as well on the fly lined bait. We stick it out on the bank and it payed big big time. Most anglers ended up with 10-15 wahoo and around 8-15 tuna anywhere from 40-277. All in all this was a trip the fish wanted to come out and play. We had a few heartbreaks and sharks at times were a pest but it ended up with some great fishing. My room mate Steve was a great room mate to have and a real fishing machine and a great guy. Ok what worked and what did not work.... Skip jack night fishing was a shark fest. Jig fishing or anything in the water before the sun came up was a shark. When the sun was up the sharks would move on but at times in the day a few would be around... not bad in the daylight hours. sardine fly line or with a 2 ounce weight worked very good. Wahoo fishing everything worked... bait - jigs- bombs your wahoo bombs that never had any luck worked at times. I want to thank the Indy crew for making this a fun trip and all the hard work and endless hours they work. Also a huge shout out to our charter master Rick for all the hard work he puts in making this a very special trip. I rebooked as soon as the fish sorting was complete. See some of you boys next year. Rick I will see you in July for your 7 day charter on the Indy.
    Great report Soda Pop!!

Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
    Jan 1, 2010
    sb 805
    Name
    hilltop
    Boat
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    Yew, slayed em Pop! Stoking!

Thanks for the report and story!

Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
    Sep 9, 2004
    West LA
    Name
    Min
    Boat
    None
    Alan. It's a Raiders trip and usually, Raiders kick ass. For some reason, the wahoo wanted something green. :p

Nice fishing with you Soda. You are one man with so much energy. Soda was using a Jimmy Bomb in green and was slaying them. I asked if I could borrow one and Soda gave me one and I got a fat wahoo on anchor with it. He gave multiple anglers green bombs too.

Upvote 0

Latest posts