ShadowX

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Did anyone else go out to the 150 area around 1-2PM time frame on Sunday? We were out in the area next to the City of Long Beach fishing rockfish when we noticed a big school of fish break the water about a mile away in the direction of Catalina near the double rigs.

At first we thought they were a school of dolphins, but they seem too fast at the rate they were moving. They foamed on a school of bait twice and disappeared. There were hundreds of fish in that school that came out of the surface. We didn't see any dorsal fins on the fish that looks like dolphins. When it went down after the second boil, they never came back up gain. With dolphins, you usually see them come back up again for air. We have seen dolphins hundreds of times and trolled over them, but the fish absolutely did not look like dolphins. They had long football shapes and not a slender shape with an obvious dorsal fin. We never saw the fish come back up again. The water was clear as a lake and we saw absolutely nothing come back up again to the surface.

Too bad we didn't have a camera facing that direction. It happened so fast. We only notice it because you can hear the bait fish boil up and the sound of the fish breaking the surface was distinct. We went over to check out but by the time we got out rock fishing gear up and went there, they were gone. It was surreal to see possible tuna in the 150 area, but we do know wahoo was near the rigs a few years ago. The water temp was around 71-73 in the area.

There was another Triumph 23 boat nearby with twin engines but I don't know if they saw the same thing. We didn't see a lot of other boats nearby. I don't know if any crew or fishermen in the City of Long Beach saw the big boil. They would have be in the front port side to see it. We did get radio reports of a school of YFT nearby in the 14 mile bank to the 277.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishchaser12

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
The City of Long Beach didn't have a fish report yesterday, was this Sunday?

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Probably got flashed up by a school of big yellows
They were definitely tuna shaped. The fish jumped clear out of water by the entire school. Even my friend driving the boat was shocked. We literally thought it was dolphins jumping until we realized the shape and the speed in which they moved was nothing like any dolphins we ever saw before. Based on the size and the distance from us, they had to be at least 20+ lb fishes. These were not football size fish for sure.

The tunas are around in the area for sure. I doubt they would bite but we did try to troll a few cedar plugs. We only saw a few deep bait balls around 150 feet deep during trolling. We were set up for rockfish and had to scramble to get some rods and trolling plugs.

Last edited:

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
It would be awesome if it was tuna.

Not doubting it.

But..... it could have been bonito.

Many people confuse the two.
And from a distance, crashing bonito looks like tuna.

But I will stay optimistic

Horrible boat name btw......

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
Saw that last year near the oil rigs.....Yellowfin.

Last edited:

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha

Not doubting it.

With light tackle, from a sport perspective, nothin wrong with bonito

Reactions: Ivan Z

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None

Not doubting it.

Unless the bonito are 20+ lbs, they were tuna. The fish was large enough to be mistaken for dolphins from a long distance. These were BIG fish that came up. I'm not talking about football sized fish. They might be skipjacks if there are any around, but its not bonito for sure.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Most likely cow bluefin
I wouldn't doubt they were big fish. I don't want to exaggerate so I just said they were 20+ lbs. It looks closer to 40-80lb fish from our estimates. They were big enough to be mistaken for dolphins from a distance.

Reactions: slydawg

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Not impossible, but more likely its bones or yellow rather than yellowfin.
We caught enough of both yellowtail and bonito and seen them crashing before. These fish that crashed were tuna for sure. We had to do a double take since we have never seen them inshore. We seen them crash offshore when you expect them to be out there. You wouldn't expect to be fishing around 250 ft depths and see tuna crash about a mile out. When we got there, the fish finder was reading 700-800 deep, so it is close to the drop off point.

I remember Erik had a report from Farnsworth when they went offshore after catching some yellowtails. He saw some fish and thought they were dolphins too but it turned out to be 40 to 50 lb yellowfin.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/farnsworth-bank-report-sunday-9-24.668029/

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthBayKiller

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
JD and other locals reported YFT in the shipping lanes (sunday) and I have seen it before. The hard part is getting them to stop.
Its good to know that it wasn't just us that saw them around. Its amazing to see YFT this close to inshore. Where we saw it was only about 5-10 miles from the shipping lanes.

Two years ago we saw some huge boils and birds crashing. We never got to see what was causing the boils since the fish disappeared ever time we got near. It happened in Catalina and also offshore. The offshore was probably tuna and the one near catalina was probably yellowtail.

Reactions: Scott Edwards

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I'm just trying to help someone out there if they are going local to be on the watch. We didn't have any live bait since the plan was to only go for rockfish. It looks like there are still some interesting fish around due to the warm waters. Most of the people are focused on rockfish and lobsters this time of the year in the local waters.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
There seems to be a bubble of very warm water around Southern California despite a developing La Niña further south so I wouldn't be surprised. 71 to 73 degree water around Long Beach at this time of year is more significant than people give it credit for.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Fishtrack still shows the water is warm around the area. Even though the water between LA and Catalina is measured at 69-70 in the graph, the actual measured temperature was around 71-73.4 based on the fish finder and sensor on the transducer. The number from the Fishtrack site might be based on average temperature over some depth and not the surface within 10 feet.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
This picture of warm water definitely confirms those were yellowfin tuna you saw.