tinsleystyle

#1 deckhand
Aug 4, 2011
Steilacoom, WA, USA
Name
Jason
Boat
catch 22
For a long time, I wanted to be the guy dragging the monster halibut down the dock and have it hanging from a beam or the boat for some badass picture. The more I have learned, the more I realize the the cool factor really ends there. Understanding most of the big fish are breeders, and generally not considered great table fare, my brother Josh, friend Matt and myself are pretty proud to have landed this fish, wrangled it for measurements and pictures and released it unharmed. Josh's fish measured just over 65", tail width of 20" and estimated to weigh between 140 and 150 pounds. Later in the day, we landed a 60+ inch fish that we were unable to get a complete measurement on before releasing it. This was an unforgettable day to land 2 fish over 100 pounds out of Neah Bay. I'm hoping the link below works.

I understand handling a monster halibut is dangerous, but so is getting in my truck to go to work so please save the safety speech. We were as gentle as possible with the fish and never had it's head out of the water. I'm sure there are those that will disagree with any handling of a fish that is intended to be released, if you're one of them, don't watch the videos.

YellowJet
YellowJet
That was fucking beautiful. Excellent work all the way around. Thank you.
Upvote 0
david98335
david98335
great Job both the handling and release !
Upvote 0

Sky-Guy

He who has the most fun wins
Jan 15, 2009
Everett/Mukilteo, Wa
Name
Ryley
Boat
Cutwater 302
Good on you guys for sticking to your principles...and hella nice fish.

Ive cut both a 225 and a 180 from Puget sound. The 225 tasted good, but had some flesh lesions and consequent meat loss, and the flakes were so big the texture wasnt ideal.
The 180 was snow white firm flesh and premium throughout.
I wouldnt keep anything over 150 again.

thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Pretty awesome. It’s too bad that they will likely end up on a tribal line. I would be ok with an upper slot limit mostly because I never catch monsters on the ocean. Slot limits would need to apply to commercials as well to make any sense.

Reactions: Spring Fever
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Bravo, same also goes for BIG lings. Most those big toads are females that spawn and refresh our limited resource. Great for pics and atta-boys, not good for conservation. BC and Alaskans rarely keep those big bitches (from what I've seen), hopefully we can fllow suit....to each their own...be safe bitches...

Upvote 0

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
Apr 1, 2011
Ferndale
Name
Eric
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
Good on ya! They aren’t the best to eat when they get that big anyways. I’ve got a 120 lber once that was edible and not too bad if cooked right but it was a lot of meh meat. Fed a full wedding and everyone thought it was great but they don’t usually eat good fresh halibut I suspect.

Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    👍👍

Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
    May 10, 2010
    White trashville
    Name
    Garrett
    Boat
    21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
    Nice job!
    Back when I used to chase big sturgeon, we'd get them next to the boat and mark the boat at head/tail, then measure that. I figure that gets within an inch or so.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Good job! And halibut can "handle" quite a bit and be just fine. I worked as groundfish observer years ago in AK. During the training course, they showed us some photos of halibut that were caught on longliners. One had a clean, half-moon bite the size of half a large frisbee taken out it and the wound was healed. Another had its lower jaw gone, healed up, and obviously the fish could still feed! They are tough fish...

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I don’t want to filet one 150#. I’d for sure need a bigger filet station. Hahaha.

Upvote 0

Fiber Dawg

May 25, 2010
    N. Bend, WA
    Name
    Keith N.
    Boat
    28' aluminum
    VERY COOL!!! Good on ya, releasing those breeders! You must have left out of Seiku to fish that area, right? Been going out of Westport instead since the Res is closed.

Upvote 0