fishbadger

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
.Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
I'm considering switching to 15 lb (from 12 lb) cannonballs on my Scotty electric DR's (1106's) in hopes of fishing a little deeper with more precision. The DR's are 5-8 years old. Has anybody had problems or experience with the heavier balls on those? Speaking with the Scotty rep I know, he said they're not really "rated" for that. He didn't exactly give me the green light (knowing that if I burned up the motor, it'd come back to Scotty), but he acknowledged that he knows lots of folks who do that without too many problems, and didn't give me the red light either.

Does anybody have an opinion or experience on this?

Thanks,

fb

T2shortB

Nice fanny pack Fag!!!
Jul 6, 2009
Belfair, WA
Name
Todd Brown
Boat
Defiance 250EX GOT FISH?
Been running 15#'rs on mine for 5 or 6 years.. newer 1106, and an old two belt model.... wouldn't say they are fast...haha, but no issues thus far

Nookie Hooker

Aquatic Slayer
Jul 10, 2010
Custer, Wa
Name
Chris
Boat
Capt. Red
FishBadger,

Yeah, you might want to move this to the regular Washington thread...
But anyways, I have used both 12s and 15s for years and had no problems, except DRs with their tongues hanging out when fishing 200-300' of water off Vancouver Island!

blackmouther

10%er during Salmon Season
Jun 29, 2009
Mount Vernon Washington
Name
Fowlmotuher
Boat
Shopping
The 1206's have plenty of juice to power a teener. The rep doesnt know what he is talking about.

fishbadger

Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
thanks all.

next time I'll use the other forum, but thanks for humoring me,

fb

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
The Scotty's will handle the 15lb balls no problem. Just make sure you are using the proper gauge wire to power them...

Tuna_Chaser

Tuna_Chaser
Jan 20, 2009
Fort Myers, Florida
Name
Mike Miller
Boat
Pro-Line 230 WA
You might also want to try useing Braid rather than wire as well as the 15 lb. balls. A bit more expensive, but it cuts way down on the blow back while trolling and gets your rig down deeper.

fishbadger

Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
Yeah I've been using braid for some time. I think with heavier balls I'll need to be a little more diligent in junction maintenance.

fb