wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Ok, time for a real report from our killing spree last Saturday. We set aside the date a couple months ago and hoped that Mother Nature would be nice to us. We agreed to drag out the @shimano folks and a few managers from @Sportco. I figured we'd be amply covered in tackle from those two sources :). We also had a pretty kick-ass river guide with us on this trip, @BadAshFishing. Ashley was giving an interview to the folks at 710 AM ESPN The Outdoor Line about some sort of slimy steel something kind of fish from boats with oars, so we didn't leave the dock until about 0700. I've never caught, nor seen, a live steelhead, and she made it sound pretty damn appealing. Might book a trip with her. AFTER TUNA SEASON!!
IMG_1500.JPG

Anyway, we loaded up a full tote of ice into the two aft holds and a 48" kill bag on the bow. I hadn't gotten around to insulating the bow boxes yet. That's about 300# in each box and 200# in the kill bag (give or take). The previous Sunday sucked, but ARSC, Tailwalker, and Offshore NW had some productive numbers earlier in the week. We were expecting to find fish on the chew!

We stopped at the best live bait shop in town and grab two large scoops of the cutest little choives we've seen. The good news is, we had plenty of light wire #4 hooks and these baits were very lively.

Reports were from the 33-34 / 11 region, but the SST and Chloro shot from Friday morning suggested a shorter run. I set 40/50 as my waypoint and pushed the 300 Zuke handles all the way forward after we rounded the red can near the marina. We did slow down a tad as we shot the gap a the south jetty.
IMG_1496.PNG
IMG_1497.PNG

We ran out on at 37-38 knots on a nearly flat Lake Pacific. About 5 miles from our waypoint the wind picked up and we had some little lambs running around the surface. No biggie for any boat. As we approached the waypoint, the water temp jumped 3/4-1° and Offshore NW was already on the troll, so I continued a little bit before dropping down to 3-4 knots to slow troll some swimbaits, a Xrap20, and a cedar plug.

IMG_1501.JPG

Not 3 minutes later and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZING game on!!!! Chovie pattern swimbait in the corner got hammered. The crew thought I was pretty damn good, but I know it was dumb luck.

I think we picked up 8 fish on that stop; most on Shimano flat sides, then flat falls, then bait. I had two raps on my first flat fall drop, but could get the hooks in. Then a third hit stuck... all the way to the side of the boat. Doh!!! Crackered my first tuna of the season.

Back on the troll, circling back over the spot. Hit another troll fish, all by itself. No love for any of the jigs or bait. We trolled around for 20-30 minutes and I called lines up and wanted to run west a little more. So we did. Gear in, throttles down, and we were at 38/55 in no time, even with some wind chop on the surface. Lines in and another albacore takes immediate advantage of a poor, defenseless swimbait. Now, the crew is really impressed, even though I'm laughing at how lucky I got again. Unfortunately, I spoiled the little bitches and they began expecting immediate action every time we went on the troll. A bunch of demanding princesses. LOL

That was a decent stop with maybe 6 fish killed. That seemed to be the trend for us. Some stops with 1-3 and some with 6-10. We figured mid 20s by noon. Then 3 of the 4 swimbaits got hammered. TheWoman dropped back a flatside on "the slide" and that's got hammered. Quad! And then many more on iron and bait.

By 1230 or so we had a nice haul of sashimi aboard and decided to call it a day. Left the grounds at 1 with a 35 NM run to get to the weather buoy. We were getting fuel at 215, including a stop at the weather buoy to validate out temp gauge and have a quick "bio-break". 43 dead albies. 100 miles or so ran (including troll), and 120 gallons burned.

These folks were a complete blast to fish with. Kiley and Ashley know their shit, work hard, and understand what it means to follow your fish. Everyone did a pretty damn good job spreading out, especially while hooked up, to keep sweaters to a minimum. I think Dr Tangles might even be able to stay outta trouble aboard this gal. Really happy we have sliding doors on both sides of the cabin. Makes it real easy to get around people with fish.

She's headed back to ACI tomorrow to raise the motors a hole or two. We only hit 5,740 RPMs, so I think another 250 rpm will get us a little better efficiency. Or, I might just not operate the throttles at only two positions :rockin:

Enjoy the videos. I'll try to remember to moved my head a little slower next trip. We are asking the owner's of Wraptor rods out on the 29th. Many of you may recall that they built the custom bait sticks for my brother and I. Again, thank you to each of you involved with that!!!!:cheers:

We also had MT, IA, Tacoma, Portland, Cincinnati, and Boulder Dave aboard. My first time tuna fishn with him. He isn't too bad to fish with. I'll probably have him back out ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
For those of you who wondered about the Tranx reels... oh, hell yeah. Those little bastards had no problem getting it done. And so damn light!
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_3346.PNG

Here's an clip of Rob trying to console a poor albacore during its last, dying tremors. Not sure if he will ever be the same.

Attachments

• IMG_3326.MOV
    11.8 MB · Views: 64
Reactions: Titan and sgwill122
Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
Great videos Laurence, thanks for posting them.

As big as that Cat looks on the trailer it gets small quick out on the big blue.

Fuel burn is WAY higher than I would expect on a day with Lake Pacific on duty, am I being unrealistic about fuel consumption numbers?

Great post.

WD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
120 gallons burned !?!?!?!?!?
wow.

Upvote 0

Roll the Bones

Dr. Fong
Jul 15, 2008
Operating Room
Name
Dr. Fong
Boat
Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
Wow, we went 128 Nautical miles and burned 95.7, of course only 28 knots out and 31 knots coming in with a wide open sprint to blow the cobs out the last mile and a half.

Upvote 0

TheWoman

Nobody cares. Work harder.
Jul 11, 2009
Olympia
Name
Erica
Boat
Once you go cat, you don’t go back
I think the throttle in the full forward position isnt doing good things for fuel consumption. LOL When that silly lake goes back to being a real ocean, and we cant run 38kts all day, I'm sure fuel efficiency will change. I guess we did slow down to 34kts on the way back in with a full load tho. But there is still room to tweak the motor and props too. All things to work out on a new boat design.

Reactions: rickstah
Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Nice job Laurence. Saw you when we were baiting up but it was just a quick hello, then off to do damage.
    I was on the 17 line all day and burned 69 gallons. God I love that new rev 4 15p.

Reactions: Chasin' Tail
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I'm trying to figure the fuel burn compared to the Worldcat, which is the same size and close to weight, but CC instead of a larger pilot house.

We know the Zukes want to spin from 5,700 to 6,300 rpm and we are only getting 5,740 WOT. So, there's some room for different props and/or raising the motors 1-2 holes.

Then, they intentionally left the backs off the pods under and forward of the motor area on each sponson. Some of you may remember seeing those at the shows. Anyway, they wanted to see how she did without sealing those off. Sealing them off will add a couple hundred pounds of floatation (maybe for each sponson), which can increase efficiency.

Thirdly, I got 1.1-1.3 mpg with the Worldcat, but I NEVER ran her WOT. We usually ran 28 knots. We all know there's a big difference between 28 knots and WOT at 38 knots.

Lastly, I ran 5 people and 1/2 tote or so of ice. Obviously a lighter load in the Worldcat. Plus, we usually capped at 30 fish.

We discussed the burn rate and she goes back to ACI tomorrow for sealing the aft pods and probably raising the motors. Then run her again and see.

Getting to fuck with shit to figure out how it'll all come together for our needs is kind of tedious, but also fun.

It'd be awesome if any of you have numbers at WOT with loads like this we can compare to. Because, what I haven't tested at all is how much does she burn at a realistic RPM range. Like 4,200-4,400. Cause, why not run 38 knots when we can.

It was still a $600 day and divided amongst the crew, we were cheaper than the typical Worldcat day, got out faster, got back quicker, had more fish, and were more comfortable :).

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

dany08fa

Almost A Member
    Aug 5, 2008
    Olympia
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    High Hopes
    Man i wish there were more report this! Great job on saturday! I fished both sat and sunday. Sunday was much slower fishing.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I really missed tuna fishing and the resulting table fare.

IMG_1504.JPG

Ponzu, cucumber, white onion, and jalapeño.

Upvote 0

spoon man

It’s all smoke and mirrors
  • Jul 20, 2012
    Olympia, wa
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22' Alumaweld
    Great videos, great pics and awesome report Laurence! Team lumacat kicking ass!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

RatherBfishN

Gone Coastal
    Jul 10, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    Wellcraft 252 Coastal
    Thanks for all the sharing, and man does that look like a tasty feast!

Question on the Zuk's, are they really supposed to get up 5,700 to 6,300? I think I've only hit 5600 so maybe I should look into that. We could always use more speed 45mph is not enough!

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Yup.

I'm happy with the top end. Heck, it's not often we will get to run WOT anyway. I'm more interested in increasing efficiency some.

IMG_3361.PNG

Upvote 0

mtotemeier

Captain Caaveman!
    Mar 2, 2011
    Poulsbo wa usa
    Name
    Marcus
    Boat
    World CAT 266 SC "The Big Butt"
    Laurence, I have only ran the Big Butt at WOT for a 14 mile run, At 6300 RPM my fuel consumption was 54 gph, I had 8 passengers on board, and most of them thicker than I, plus two large ice chest full of liquid entertainment, we hit and held 48mph, on a flat lake with no wind, and it was scary....So i estimate that to be about .88 mpg now running that same load, at 33 my fuel consumption drops down to 17gph = ~1.944 mpg. What I have found is if i want to go fast, i stay below 40 (35 is a nice speed) and i get about 1.4. Zukes seem to stay happy right at about 4400 rmp. In my opinion anyway.

Reactions: Sockeye71
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Thanks Marcus. Dude back east with a 320EC and 2017 Df300s is getting 1.3 at 32-33 mph, fully loaded.That boat is 10'6" beam with full cabin. He's also spinning different props, 3x16x17R. We have 3x16x20R now. All stuff we need to play with.

Upvote 0

Fishinnut

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 18, 2008
    Monroe, WA USA
    Name
    Ron Garner
    Boat
    32 Proline Express
    My 32 Proline is spinning 3x16x18s on df300s. My 22 degree deadrise requires me to run on the faster end when possible. 4650 rpm seems best as I have to get that big v up out of the water. I noticed lately leaving the motors running and idling a lot eats up a lot more fuel. In big rollers where I have to really throttle up and over a lot I would get about the same milage. I take a lot of people when I go too so the boat is heavy. 300 gallons is around 2000 pounds so a volkswagon in the back to boot.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    thanks. We obviously have some more testing to do to get her dialed in.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Ok. My video editing skills aren't anywhere near what Swede is capable of. Laughable in comparison, and it takes me waaaay longer. But here is finally video 3 of 3 from the 15th.

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Ok. My video editing skills aren't anywhere near what Swede is capable of. Laughable in comparison, and it takes me waaaay longer. But here is finally video 3 of 3 from the 15th.

Can 2 people slide by each other down the side rail of that boat?

Upvote 0