flytie

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Left Newport before 6am. Parking lot was packed. Lots of boats tied up at the launch. Line at bait barge.

Headed out to the 14. A little sloppy but not turn around weather. About six other boats working the area. One boat hooked up but we didn't meter anything around the hill. Took a few passes and then started patty hopping. Some great patties with bait on them but, even after heavy chunking, no one home. Hit many on the way to the 279, then started finding trash. Lots of trash. 50 gallon bags filled with trash. Must have been from the cruise ships that were stranded off shore, but it was bad. We picked up 50 gallons of cans and chip wrappers. We tried to boat a couple of the 50 gallon bags, but they were too heavy. We must have passed about 5 of these trash rafts that we couldn't pull up.

Detour aborted, started to the 279 but no one was home. There was a large warship out in the distance and we heard them all morning calling people away from them in the "Del Mar basin". We thought... well, they are about three or four miles out off of the 279. They are looking for Al Qaeda, I was looking for Al Tuna. I gunned it. About a quarter mile later, they call out on 16 the colors of my vessel with bow headed for his port, three miles away, to turn away. Damned good bino's for sure on that thing. Oh well, so much for the 279.

Pointed inshore and kept looking for any signs of life. Not much around. One dolphin school with a boat chasing it, but no birds and few patties. Again, patties with nothing on them.

Spotted a mola and tried to bait him, but he wouldn't go and sunk out.

Put out the riggers and trolled from Dana to Newport, just skirting the MPA, hoping to pop up a bonita or something. No takers and the water turned to crap about at CDM.

Into the harbor and it was July 4th on steroids. Almost got rammed by a sailboat, the Pocahontas. Apparently the woman at the wheel tried pulling a u turn in the channel and was pretty shocked to see me on her starboard. Kept the 8-) on all of the way through the harbor. The view there is okay. The only masks I saw were on rental boats and worn Brazilian style.

Ramp was in full turd circus mode. They now have security guards to stop the fights (saw one almost develop right next to us) and to assist the "new boaters". Apparently, according to one of the guards, the "new boaters" have been problematic and are in giant numbers. You should have seen the boat and truck driving. It was classic. One guy docking an open bow loaded with people asked a woman to get off at the dock and grab the rope. She proceeded to remove the dock bumper and jumped on the dock, and stood there as the boat drifted off. Fun, fun, fun.

Nice day on the water looking for the kind. Great time with the wife. Sad about the trash.

Groper

I'm not that guy.
Jun 9, 2018
Name
Bill
Boat
2550 May-Craft PH
Thanks for picking up trash, that fng sucks to see or here about that deal. 🤬

Haha we spent a week in SD mostly in Mission Bay the monday -thursday crowd was tolerable BUT man friday was a shitshow, there weren't enough HP's to chase down the PWC's & Boats on plane throughout the 5ph zones.

Even when anchored we had a few buzz by us really wtf ?

Last edited:
Reactions: whosmatt and flytie

acefuture

Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
18 Klamath "Blue Can"
Newport launch yesterday at noon at 7ish was absolutely nuts. Launched and retrieved solo and luckily was able to meander through the traffic. But I got barked at by the guy who was in front of me for pulling my truck up and waiting for him to load. Gave him AMPLE room to get around and he still yelled at me. His wife came and apologized to me after. Baffling how many brand new boat owners are there. Definitely makes for a great show

Reactions: Tom123 and flytie

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
W. LA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boat
Thanks for the report OP.

Thanks for picking up the trash left by the wealthy. :appl:

When I was a younger fellow, a buddy and I ( 🐵🐵 ) snagged one with a jig for shits and giggles. A 500 lb. Mola pulls pretty good.
:ele:
Damn that's fucked up. No wonder you got a black eye and can't find any gamefish offshore lol.

socaldieseltech

Jun 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
We keep our boat at the dunes for now and the ramp there is pretty crazy. So much entertainment. So far I have seen twice, people launch their boat and instead of sliding it backwards off the trailer they tie a rope to the bow and walk it off doing an immediate u turn off the trailer. Understand, by the time the bow is where the end of the trailer is , you can’t touch the bottom so they swim (try to at least) with the bow towards the dock. It’s wild. Shitshow is a complete understatement for that ramp.

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Thank you for picking up the trash.
Frank & I used to find a lot of wooden crating material when we'd get out more than 30 miles. And sometimes that stuff was big.

Reactions: flytie

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
The inventory on Craigslist next season should be off the charts, along with jet ski's and RV's
I sure hope so. The ramps and parking aren't currently configured for this type of pressure.

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Someone posted a recipe for fresh mola. Something like lobster meat.
I am not superstitious however i was told that hurting a mola was the worst kind of juju by some of the best skippers in the fleet way back when....
Based on how my life has gone recently I am starting to believe in things like that because a reasonable explanation I cant find...
Eating one?? U can eat anything but like lobster? Sorry ain't buying it..

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Someone here will tell you how to eat Mola. I have never nor do I desire eat one. Not superstitious.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Can’t say I’ve ever heard of or baited a mola. I’ve HIT a mola a couple times, but the only ones I’ve killed are the ones my keel and/or props got to. We hit one while racing Transpac (LB to Hawaii) middle of the night about 800 miles offshore, scared the shit out of everyone on the boat, it clipped the keel and bounced off but stopped us dead from 16+ knots. I hit another one going to the island, again, it clipped the port engine prop guard and bounced, damn near threw me into the wheel. Stupid autopilot wasn’t paying attention😬

Reactions: Alan

Sandydog

Mar 18, 2017
Dana Point, CA
Name
John Kim
Boat
n/a
Can’t say I’ve ever heard of or baited a mola. I’ve HIT a mola a couple times, but the only ones I’ve killed are the ones my keel and/or props got to.
I was on a cattle boat in the 1980s when we caught one which bit a trolled feather. It was hooked inside the mouth, so it definitely bit the feather.

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
I stopped to pick up a kitchen trash bag just outside of mission bay one time. We bring it in the boat and there was a fresh turd in it and it was dripping brown water onto the deck. Over the side it went, but I dropped a 16 ounce sinker on it so it would stay down. Maybe not a responsible decision, but fuck that. That was another mans shit.
So my point is, watch out for what is in the trash bags when you pick them up!

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Name
Rocket Dog
Boat
passenger again
I stopped to pick up a kitchen trash bag just outside of mission bay one time. We bring it in the boat and there was a fresh turd in it and it was dripping brown water onto the deck. Over the side it went, but I dropped a 16 ounce sinker on it so it would stay down. Maybe not a responsible decision, but fuck that. That was another mans shit.
So my point is, watch out for what is in the trash bags when you pick them up!

Definitely not the bag of chronic you hear about getting dumped off the coast....

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
When I was a kid fishing 1/2 day out of Belmont Shore I always new when we were about to move. The cook would throw all the trash out the window. Styrofoam plates, cups, plastic forks n spoons... didn't matter. You could tell by the concentration of trash floating on the surface just how long it had been that another Sportie had been in a particular area. Fishing was good back then but people's attitudes sure sucked.. glad that times have changed. Good for you for picking up what trash you could.

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
The inventory on Craigslist next season should be off the charts, along with jet ski's and RV's
God I hope so! I the Forests and Parks in Wyoming are swarming with idiots from every state camping/fishing/hiking for the first time. Shitting 10 feet from camp, as if they are the only people who will ever use that site. Building fires wherever, leaving piles of trash inside bear boxes. It has been insane!