El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
Left HH at 530 A.M, picked up a half scoop of sardines and headed straight to the 14.

Arrived Around 6:20/630 and had a few other PB’ers working the area.

Water was warm...anywhere from 71 to 74.

Trolled some halcos and tuna feathers (pink chrome halco/ purple black feather/white pink feather/chrome green halco.

Found a few paddies (5 decent sized ones) 2 of them were holding dorado. Both paddies that were holding dorado were not interested in fly lined sardines or and lures.

I realized both paddies were holding fish by grabbing a sardine and squishing their heads, then tossing them over and watched them do non stop circles on the surface, below the brain damaged sardines was dorado coming out to check out the ruckus on the surface.

Ended the day with 2 short bites (both on the slow troll around paddies.)

Best paddie found holding fish was on the 14, but it was in the dirtiest green water the 14 had to offer.

I guess they’re there....just not too fired up to eat fly lined baits.

277 pretty much the same, stopped on a few paddies in the channel, but no one was home.

I fished 20-30lb, size 1 to 2/0 hook. I did hear some radio chatter of someone near us at the 14 mile saying they say a 15 foot great white....no speargun onboard, but I kept thinking of all the hook line guys calling in spearo’s to get fish off paddies.

Gives ya the chills

Weather was great, can’t complain.

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Last summer, due west of dp harbor, 5 mi. out, big triangle grey fin just lurking. Flipped a u-turn to check it out, sunk out. Immediately felt like part of the food chain. Eeeeby Jeeebies!!

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
This is why I don't swim in the ocean, despite the water being so warm.

Sounds like a tough day and trust me it's not just for you. Up here, the season hasn't produced much yet; we can only hope the wide open fishing they're currently getting in Mexico will come up soon.

Upvote 0

ActiveBullyz

Aug 28, 2014
Name
Tony
Boat
ProKat 2660
did the exact same thing but got lucky at the 14 got 1 dorado on a blue and white tady. went all the way past the 277 hitting every paddy we could find and no one was home or not interested.

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
Did not see any whites on the 14. Did see an 8 foot hammerhead though.

Yeah, definitely saw life out there, I’m thinking of running out there again, maybe mid week/Thursday, if conditions improve a bit.

I feel like I have a weekend curse, but my weekday luck seems to be much better. I don’t even think it was weekend boat traffic, IMO the the moon prob had more to do with it, atleast this time.

Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
Thanks for posting your report. Big Moon this weekend & Catalina was slow also. So some spearo was gonna stick a fifteen foot GW? You gotta wonder who's the predator and who is the prey. Let the GWs graze on the Sea Dawg population. Sharks are the only creatures that can reduce their (over) 'protected' numbers.

Reactions: bricktop27
Upvote 0
Jun 19, 2009
Costa Mesa, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
36 Riviera, RIPTIDE
Cheech, I don’t think he meant spear the shark. He was thinking in terms of spear fishing while the tax man is around. I dive paddies all the time but not worried about whites. The water is so clear they don’t mistake me for a seal. Now giant Makos are another story.

Upvote 0