DeVo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 20, 2006
Eagle River Alaska
Name
Kris DeVo
Boat
Mini jet boat
We are building two mini jet boats to run in super skinny water up here in Alaska. Access to so many areas with shallow water is normally done with air boats and hovercraft. The mini's are now a high performance option for us up here. Problem is most parts have to be custom built or bought from New Zealand or Canada. New Zealand is way ahead of the mini jet boat game and the states are starting to catch on.

We started this project in the spring and had to take a couple months off this summer. Now we are back at it.
Picked up two Honda Aquatrax f15 turbo jet skis and stripped them down. We will use the motor, pump and electronics as a donor for our mini. We bought untested plans from a guy in Canada and ended up scrapping most of it after being cut out and test fitted. Was a costly mistake. This is our first boat build and are learning a ton and making mistakes along the way. Luckily we know a few boat builders who have helped us out as we go.

These will give us access to hunting, fishing and gold mining ground that are otherwise half impossible to get to. My buddy is way ahead of me as I was gone all summer mining but now the build continues.

First two pics here are of guys in Alaska with minis. With full running 1/2" UHMW on top of a 1/4" bottom they can run over almost anything and will run in just inches of water.
22365657_1478905475491959_874854908246567123_n.jpg
21766359_1463681153681058_1639804184106867063_n.jpg
IMAG4953.jpg

We built a leaf brake to bend most of the things we need.

IMAG5065.jpg
IMAG5084.jpg

Brake ended up being able to bend 5' long 1/8" 5052
IMAG5080.jpg

Bottoms were cut and bent locally
IMAG5092.jpg

IMAG5098.jpg
IMAG5103.jpg

Last edited:

Manbat

Aug 19, 2007
chino hills
Name
Jon
Boat
In between
Looks good! I’ve watched those nz guys on YouTube and it looks like so much fun!

Reactions: DeVo

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Awesome build!

DeVo

Feb 20, 2006
Eagle River Alaska
Name
Kris DeVo
Boat
Mini jet boat
Thanks guys! Finished welding in the stringers and intake base. Pulled the boat outside and flipped it. Time to weld up everything on the bottom, make a ride plate, weld up some bigger full running chines and install 1/2" UHMW (plastic bottom).

IMAG5780.jpg
IMAG5794.jpg
IMAG5798.jpg
IMAG5802.jpg
IMAG5806.jpg
IMAG5810.jpg

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Those NZ guys are awesome! Here is one of my favorite videos from NZ
This just gave me a massive panic attack. What type of intake grate are these boats typically running? I can't even fathom running across gravel bars like these guys did

PACIFICPUNISHER

Biscuit Buster
Sep 4, 2009
So Cal
Name
Moondog
Boat
PARKER 2320 "HOTLINE"
Is that a jib(boom) that's mounted to the front of the Toyota? Is it powered by the winch? If so thats bad ass!
Killer build you have going. You got mad skill.

Reactions: marlyn and DeVo

DeVo

Feb 20, 2006
Eagle River Alaska
Name
Kris DeVo
Boat
Mini jet boat
Is that a jib(boom) that's mounted to the front of the Toyota? Is it powered by the winch? If so thats bad ass!
Killer build you have going. You got mad skill.
Yep. It's my buddy's. He mostly uses it for hauling logs for the saw mill but it worked sweet for flipping the boat. Thanks!

IMAG5805.jpg

This just gave me a massive panic attack. What type of intake grate are these boats typically running? I can't even fathom running across gravel bars like these guys did
The guys in NZ run a hardened steel grate. We run hardened steal stomp grates. Wear rings and impellers take a beating and we keep spares with us.

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
So is this a fishing boat? It would sure suck to be fishing a remote river and have some guy come blasting up in one of those things like that guy in in NZ is doing! Especially in AK where the fish are spawning on those gravel bars.....

DeVo

Feb 20, 2006
Eagle River Alaska
Name
Kris DeVo
Boat
Mini jet boat
So is this a fishing boat? It would sure suck to be fishing a remote river and have some guy come blasting up in one of those things like that guy in in NZ is doing! Especially in AK where the fish are spawning on those gravel bars.....
You got a point. Maybe I should stop building my boat and sit in front of my tv so I don't bother anybody. And all gravel bars are spawning grounds so no boats should be allowed anywhere in the AK. Give me a break guy

Last edited:

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
Temecula
Name
Chris
Boat
Bertram Bahia Mar
Who ended up doing the cutting? NZ has so many sick designs....I've been kicking the idea of getting the cut files and having Alaska Copper do the cutting on a 5.5 meter half-cab but so hard to to get pricing without the cut files in hand. Are you doing a windshield?
What a great idea to access some of those remote areas to open up for panning or whatever method suits your fancy.