14 Mile Bank Underwater Video - Fish ID?

Mr. Jones

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
Found this cool video of an ROV driving around the 14-mile bank. Looks like a fair amount of bottom life there. Around 1:49:00 there are a bunch of flatfish, anyone know what they are? Sanddabs?

There's a pretty cool shark at 3:55:17. Maybe a sixgill?

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Pretty sure those are halibut @1:49:00.

Reactions: billytupman

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Name
Rocket Dog
Boat
passenger again
The sight of fish is what interested me, but the background chatter is what kept me looking. :p

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
Found this cool video of an ROV driving around the 14-mile bank. Looks like a fair amount of bottom life there. Around 1:49:00 there are a bunch of flatfish, anyone know what they are? Sanddabs?

There's a pretty cool shark at 3:55:17. Maybe a sixgill?

That's my lead!

Sandydog

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 18, 2017
Dana Point, CA
Name
John Kim
Boat
n/a
Anyone able to ID the fish at 1:53:19? Looks like a rattail, but I dunno what the stuff underneath is. A parasite? I vaguely recall someone posting pics of a fish they caught with something similar hanging off of it.

Most of the stuff down there eats stuff which dies and sinks down from the surface. If you've gutted fish on the way home and tossed the offal overboard, some of it ended up down there.

At 3:50:03 it looks like someone lost a piece of pottery at the 14 mile bank...huh?
Sea sponges get really big.

Mr. Jones

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
Anyone able to ID the fish at 1:53:19? Looks like a rattail, but I dunno what the stuff underneath is. A parasite? I vaguely recall someone posting pics of a fish they caught with something similar hanging off of it.

Most of the stuff down there eats stuff which dies and sinks down from the surface. If you've gutted fish on the way home and tossed the offal overboard, some of it ended up down there.

Sea sponges get really big.
That would be a huge parasite, poor fish. Maybe some kind of copepod.

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
I was also there Sunday. Metered some bait and caught a mako. No tuna. Should have deep drifted for those flatfish.
Agreed. I brought my halibut gear and jigs but my wife talked me out of it and I left the descender at home.

Were you on a yellow center console?

Mr. Jones

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
Agreed. I brought my halibut gear and jigs but my wife talked me out of it and I left the descender at home.

Were you on a yellow center console?
No, I do remember that guy though. Twin outboards on a yellow center console, good size one too. I was near him when he was on the high spot. If you saw him I was probably within eyesight. I was on a Seaswirl striper 29, twin O/Bs (white). I was trolling with some neon yellow line.

There was a charter boat out there too for a bit, then I saw him move off south but still in binocular distance. Maybe paddy hopping.

I got really excited when I got the Mako. Started chumming like crazy thinking "This is the easiest fighting Tuna I've ever had."

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
I saw the yellow CC pulling on something but no one else had a hook up when were were there. I was on the white CC with a blue stripe pulling outriggers counter clockwise around the mound. We took off for paddies after a couple of passes and when one of the sport boats started heading towards the bank on the way to the slide.

Mr. Jones

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
I saw the yellow CC pulling on something but no one else had a hook up when were were there. I was on the white CC with a blue stripe pulling outriggers counter clockwise around the mound. We took off for paddies after a couple of passes and when one of the sport boats started heading towards the bank on the way to the slide.
We did a little paddy hopping, metered some smaller fish but couldn't get them to go. Someone ran over it while we were working it. Such is life, the way fishing was over the weekend, we wouldn't have hooked up anyway. We ended up fishing out of Newport to catch lots of small bonito and some sheepshead.

I'll keep an eye for you next time we're out there.

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
We did a little paddy hopping, metered some smaller fish but couldn't get them to go. Someone ran over it while we were working it. Such is life, the way fishing was over the weekend, we wouldn't have hooked up anyway. We ended up fishing out of Newport to catch lots of small bonito and some sheepshead.

I'll keep an eye for you next time we're out there.
Sounds good, buddy. Tight lines.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Man I wish we could fish that bank legally, would be a game changer for DP and NP. PS that looks like some kind of sole not a halibut. Cool find and thanks for sharing!

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
I think you're right. There's apparently a lot of halibut at 1,500FT at the 14-mile bank.

View attachment 1183043
From the google machine..
Halibut are usually on or near the bottom over mud, sand, or gravel banks. Most are caught at depths of 90 to 900 feet, but halibut have been recorded at depths up to 3,600 feet.

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Surprisingly few rockfish, especially considering the kickass looking habitat, ledges and dropoffs. Seems like there are quite a few crustaceans and whatnot to eat. Maybe they just aren't hanging out on the ridge.

Anyways, there were more rockfish than beer cans, and more beer cans than skates, and more skates than swordfish.

The pitted looking rock is interesting almost looks like limestone, which there's not really a lot of around here. Maybe just volcanics with mineralized crusts or something. Lots of fine sediment sitting on much of the rock, suggests currents aren't all that strong.

On the whole, about as interesting as 8 episodes of Planet Earth!

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
Those flatfish are some kind of sole or something....I don't think Halibut are that deep...

Cool beer can at 3:37:11. Wonder how long it's been there. Overall, surprisingly little trash...which is good.