I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat Name
26 Blackman Billfisher
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
My Club had its annual Marlin Tourney yesterday based out of San Diego; I hadn't heard of any marlin seen down here for a week so I prefished Friday started on the 9 and headed south to the 302. Didn't see much until inside the 302 started seeing a ton of bait and then a few large kelps with 3 of 12 or so holding Dodos and we managed 4 bulls 12-18# during the day. Saw a Marlin jumper @ 32 24 117:26 and it looked good but never saw any others so we opted to head north to the Avalon Bank/ 14 Mile Bank where they were being seen and a few caught. We got into the zone by 7AM and started trolling our usual MJG and Black Skipjack spread up the shipping lanes until we heard of action on the north end of the 14; we turned and headed that way towards a group of 5-7 yachts fishing the zone. The area looked good with a lot of surface bait and other boats starting to see and hook feeders. We had a feeder pop up @ our 10 o'clock 50' from the boat too late to cast bait so I ran it over for no bites and continued figure 8s for 15 minutes. We headed back up swell and radio reception was so good I could hear 2 fish aleady taken back in San Diego; one of them 1 mile from the jumper I saw the day before and another on the 9 mile bank. Both on Pink Jigs so I put a Pink Bird and a Pink Sevenstand Clone out on a Whiskey Line and headed back down swell and it wasn't 20 minutes before we got bit on it but 2 jumps and it came unbuttoned. So then I swapped out my 2 short corners for a Pink Zuker 3.5 on starboard side and a Pink/Blue 3.5 on port corner; went up and down the outside of the bank for another couple of hours until we noticed some terns following something at the north end of the bank so we drove to them and got bit on the port corner. 20 minute fight and we had our fish on the swim step. Seemed like the Northwest Corner of the bank had the most action today; there were also a few fish caught off the Avalon Bank later in the morning. One boat got bit on the backside of Cat south of Two Harbors but it fell off. Don't know if these fish were the same ones that moved off the 286/270 from a week ago, looks like a new batch of fish has shown up on the 9 mile Bank.

That's all I know for now but the water was a steady 71.5 so the fish should hang around a little longer.

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat Name
26 Blackman Billfisher
IMG_6356.JPG

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat Name
arima - the SLIDER
Fish looks anemic. Good thing you killed it.

Upvote 0

Deamon

Almost A Member
Dec 16, 2009
La Mesa
Name
Jim
Boat Name
Future Boat Owner
Way to go Meeker! Missed you at the banquet! Your dude walked away w prize money and some raffles too! Not a bad weekend for the Doghouse!

Reactions: DOGHOUSE26
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat Name
everyone elses
:appl:

Still got the "lunchbox"?

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat Name
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Nice, uh, stripper. Good fishin'!

Upvote 0

waynesworld

Apr 24, 2006
Escondido
Name
Wayne
Boat Name
Sold it -need a ride
Probably not fishing it this year -going to give all the other participants a chance
Actually -I sold my boat and all my fishing bud's have either sold their boats or are not fishing that much anymore.Oh ya one of them just came back from an Alaska cruise with covid

Upvote 0