Long Beach Bob

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
and, That is why I always dive with a big gun shooting a five foot 3/8" shaft....:O if the shaft doesn't do the trick, I can always turn the gun sideways and feed it to him......when a big one is homing in on you, the first thing you notice is even with it's mouth closed, you can still see their teeth!... Been there, done that....

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Wow!! 18'... thats a big ass GW. I am always grateful to see rare sightings like this. I saw my first basking Mola a few weeks back, wish I could have taken a photo. This is definitely next level bro. Thanks for sharing!

suede

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 30, 2011
Laguna Hills
Name
JL
Boat
'88 22 Whaler Outrage
I went out sunday to the same area and came across a pretty large dead seal (or sea lion, whatever, didn't look THAT close) that had two bite marks out of it. Could definitely see big teeth marks. The jaws looked to be about 12-15" across. Shoulda taken a pic but didn't. Second dead seal i've seen out there in the last two trips. The GW's are handling business. Hope all the juveniles inshore are balancing things out. Too many bobo's.
BTW, didn't see any tuna. Found a bunch of dry paddies. Found only one with a few ~5-8 lb YT down on top of the 267. No biters.

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Nice pic. I think people really over-estimate how many seals a mature great white shark eats. They are not going to make any significant impact on the seal population. For example, Guadalupe Island probably has one of the largest population of big GW sharks, yet the seal population at the island is not only big, but just as over-populated as anywhere. I've been told by a shark expert, that mature sharks are only eating maybe 1 seal every 30 days. So don't think that an increase in sharks off our beach is going to dent the furbag population. Seals are just too protected and these marine rescue nuts don't help either. Just my .02 cents.

neversink2

Here fishy fishy fishy...
Oct 9, 2004
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
Chris
Boat
31' Cabo Express
That made my rear end pucker when I saw your wet suit and spear guns in the third pic. One of the main reasons I prefer to stay topside! Glad you are safe.

Reactions: meebo

basecamp9890

Jun 9, 2016
Dp
Name
Will
Boat
Na
Guess I'll need someone to show me the ropes with a rod and reel. Not gonna lie, that fish is gonna make it a little harder for me to get in the water.

Reactions: bajabills

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Guess I'll need someone to show me the ropes with a rod and reel. Not gonna lie, that fish is gonna make it a little harder for me to get in the water.
It will fade with time and you will be back in the water....good story to tell the grandkids one day when you are an old salt.....the 15 plus footer that went after me at Church Rock, Catalina had 300 lbs of seal meat in it's stomach, so, they eat more than one seal at a time...sharks are equal opportunity feeders....A swordfish plank boat harpooned it the next day as it was chasing seals near the inshore rookery....I don't dive near rookeries any more....:)

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Pretty sure I mightve seen him today just a couple miles due N of the 267/279 right above a wreck site on all the charts. Only saw his dorsal, was cruising the surface. I doubled back and watched for awhile as I closed in, then about 25 meters out he just sank slowly. No tail kick or splash. Never saw the body. Couldve been a big Mako or other shark, all the GW pictures look similar to what i saw and it isnt all that far from the 14.

Reactions: bloodytuna

ScaleyOne

" I never met a fish I didn't like"
Apr 23, 2015
Tustin
Name
Brent
Boat
Molly D
View attachment 844695 View attachment 844696 View attachment 844697 Headed out the the 14 mile out of DP. Ran late and got on the water around 8. Paddys were few and far between with little life. Couldn't seem to find any YT. At what became our last stop this big SOB bulled right to the boat as we were getting in. We were in a 16 whaler and he was easily bigger than the boat. We figure he was pushing 18'. That will definitely be on my mind on future dives.
I think I'd have to lay off getting into the water at this point around here. At least until the sightings fall off. Waaaay too many of those around now to be putting my big seal looking ass in there with them.

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
Apr 30, 2012
Ca
Name
Bill
Boat
blackman fishmachine
Your definitely in the food chain when diving. Dude, nice pics glad your not injured and alive.
Also , after I stopped diving, I realized my life insurance will cancel the payoff should I die diving. You know for a fact they invest with the odds in their favor. Not dissing scuba, or freediving, I have many years and fond memories doing both.

But now that the Great White Sharks are going full steam and still on the " endangered" species list in California. Shark attacks ARE on the rise again. Proven fact.

Certain sharks are apex preditators. While others are scavengers. Not too many things can kill Great whites. Except man, or sometimes an orca. Imbalance in Great Whites is not good, like the imbalance of sea lions is not good. Great Whites are man eaters .

Count your blessings, and be grateful for what you experienced, and appreciate your life.

Me I like fishing, as it takes me out of the food chain, but it is an incredible world down there.

Last edited:

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
The meat taste like a cross between a condor & bald eagle
Nice pics
Dont be rude........

Everybody knows they taste like a spotted barn owl

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Brings a whole new meaning to sharing a kelp paddy...

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
DOES anybody know why a shark circles you first , Before it eats you, They want to scare the shit out of you , So you taste better ,,, Waters warm lets go swimming yea .B