Johnsd

🇺🇸🛥🌊🐟
Apr 22, 2020
Huntington Beach
Name
John
Boat
Bass tracker
My new wife as of 7/9 and I Started yesterday at o dark thirty and grabbed some bait and took off. Saw lots of life around the 14 and started trolling around. Water looked like shit so started trolling south. Didn’t see anything until we got all the way to the 209 which was two different nice kelp patty’s holding nada. Weather picked up fast and got bad so spent the next 4 hours going 4 mph trying to get to Catalina. Let me tell you I made I stupid decision going out that far in a 15ft center console. If you seen us yah that was my dumb ass. Anyways made it to Catalina and ducked out of the weather and was deciding on if we were gonna stay and realized I left my wallet in the truck so no money. Great right. Well after an hour weather died down a little and I ventured out to see what it looked like and a really nice marlin boat came by and was cutting through the weather nicely so I said fuck it and hoped in behind him and followed him all the way back to new port. Guy lost me in the boat traffic in the harbor but if he’s on here and reads this, man thank you. So a long day. Got my wife hooked up on a little fish at Catalina and put a smile on her face but my ignorance was down right stupid. My buddy’s boat I used handled great but never should of got caught out there like that.

3BAD4EBB-9686-45BE-B355-AE34ACEB41F4.jpeg

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Did you read swell and weather reports before? It's a staple before offshore trips like that.

I use Windy, Surf Report and NOAA. Never be too proud to turn back if you feel like it. That's what makes a true captain.

Lastly, I hope you have appropriate safety gear onboard.

Johnsd

🇺🇸🛥🌊🐟
Apr 22, 2020
Huntington Beach
Name
John
Boat
Bass tracker
Did you read swell and weather reports before? It's a staple before offshore trips like that.

I use Windy, Surf Report and NOAA. Never be too proud to turn back if you feel like it. That's what makes a true captain.

Lastly, I hope you have appropriate safety gear onboard.
I did have everything we needed in case of a emergency and I did turn back once it started to get rough. We were trolling back toward the island, it just picked up a lot quicker then I anticipated.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I did have everything we needed in case of a emergency and I did turn back once it started to get rough. We were trolling back toward the island, it just picked up a lot quicker then I anticipated.
There you go! Good luck out there.

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
Knowing the mistake and owning it are admirable.
Congrats on the marriage and best of luck to you two. Here's to many more successful trips
Tight Lines

• Love
Reactions: repo805 and Johnsd

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
keeper !

Reactions: Johnsd

Long Beach Bob

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Back in the day in my 16' Whaler, I would drop in behind the Catalina Express boats to make it home on windy afternoons after commercial diving for abalone. Best day of my life was when I went to an enclosed cabin!

Reactions: jaw1970

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
My new wife as of 7/9 and I Started yesterday at o dark thirty and grabbed some bait and took off. Saw lots of life around the 14 and started trolling around. Water looked like shit so started trolling south. Didn’t see anything until we got all the way to the 209 which was two different nice kelp patty’s holding nada. Weather picked up fast and got bad so spent the next 4 hours going 4 mph trying to get to Catalina. Let me tell you I made I stupid decision going out that far in a 15ft center console. If you seen us yah that was my dumb ass. Anyways made it to Catalina and ducked out of the weather and was deciding on if we were gonna stay and realized I left my wallet in the truck so no money. Great right. Well after an hour weather died down a little and I ventured out to see what it looked like and a really nice marlin boat came by and was cutting through the weather nicely so I said fuck it and hoped in behind him and followed him all the way back to new port. Guy lost me in the boat traffic in the harbor but if he’s on here and reads this, man thank you. So a long day. Got my wife hooked up on a little fish at Catalina and put a smile on her face but my ignorance was down right stupid. My buddy’s boat I used handled great but never should of got caught out there like that.

View attachment 1169776
That counts!

ShadowX

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
The weather is not very forgiving in the past month. Right around 1PM, the wind picks up and things get choppy out there. Glad you made it back.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

MulegeMx

Apr 13, 2020
Murrieta, CA
Name
jorge de la cruz
Boat
1971 Glastron Swinger V176 Trihull
I would love to see more pictures of your boat. I have a 17" trihull that I want to use for just INSHORE bay and La Jolla fishing, weather permitting.