J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
Hi. I have a Gregor 12' that I keep in Baja. Problem is I keep busting the plastic mounts for my transducer because I always run up to the beach and shallow rocks when I launch/retrieve. Any creative ideas? I'm toying with the idea of mounting it to barstock or something and then clamping it to the transom so I can pull it when I go shallow or beach it. It's not enough to just flip it up on the standard mounts because it still manages to bump into rocks. Thanks.
What you suggest to mount the transducer to a piece of bar stock or square tube is probably the way to go. I would try to mount it so it flips up just like those beach launch wheels. That way it is well out of the way but not kicking around in the bottom of the boat. Another option is to install beach launch wheels so the transducer doesn't hit bottom.

brokeass boater

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
Good job JW, Watch how much weight you move forward to the bow. Adding your gear, fuel, battery, anchor and I assume a buddy. If you don't repower with enough HP, it's going to run with the bow down and be a slow wet ride. A 15hp will be under powered IMHO. I had a 14' Klamath that was set up the direction your going, and I had a 25hp two stroke on it, that was a perfect combination. You mentioned repowering with a 4 stroke 15hp - 20hp. The 20 hp is the better choice of the two for your set up,,,gregg

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Great little thread (excuse the pun)
I've got that exact hull and did a similar project although you have done a lot of trick things I wish I thought of before buttoning mine up.
I ended up making a poor man's bass boat and am having a blast with it.
I did a carpeted deck all the way to the bow and installed 3 hatches, one up front for the anchor, and I split the area between bow and second seat in half and built a carpeted tackle storage on the left and the other space for cushions/PFDs/dry storage.
Also after replacing the transom wood, decked the rear with a hatch for the battery/gas tank and installed a swivel seat for steering.
Installed a 40lb foot control Motor guide trolling motor on the bow and a pedestal seat.
As mentioned by others, the one thing I'm eventually going to have to do if I want to fish with a buddy is replace the 9.9 Merc 4 stroke with a bigger outboard. (I got a rediculous deal on it)
Alone, I can cruise around 20 but with my friend only 12 or so.
Cachuma_Bass_1.jpg
Crappie_1.jpg
Great little

Reactions: R&R and J Woodman

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
Life and everything it throws at me has gotten in the way of me and this little boat project. I expected to be completely done by now but that deadline has long since passed. Whenever I get a chance I do a little bit on this and it is almost done. The boat itself is complete except for replacing the registration numbers and putting a motor on it. I stained the plywood seats with walnut stain, then 2 coats of satin polyurethane. The floors got 2 coats of Hurculiner truck bed liner. New plastic seats mounted on the original swivel clamps.

006.JPG

010.JPG

Both compartments have full length stainless piano hinges and flush slam latches. The battery compartment has a lock on it but Coast Guard regulations require the gas tank to be accessible with no lock. Notice the foam tape between the wood and hull to reduce vibration.

009.JPG

I finally got a bilge pump that works so it was hard wired with solder and shrink tube to reduce corrosion. It also is only held in with gravity so it can easily be cleaned or flushed out outside the boat.
011.JPG

The anchor locker is completed with PVC rod holders on the inboard wall.

012.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG

I never get tired of these interior lights. I put them directly under the plywood seats front and back of the front seat and the rear seat and they just disappear but they are so bright at night that I had to put a valance where they might shine in the driver's or passenger's eyes. They are LED strip lights with a peel and stick backing. I added silicone after sticking these in place because they won't stick very long by themselves. They come in a 15 meter roll and you just cut it where ever you want, within 3 inches, and stick it on.

016.JPG

018.JPG
002.JPG

I still need to do some work to the trailer and what I mentioned above on the boat but this project is almost complete. When it is done I will post it in the For Sale section. I already have a newer motor for it but I don't want to post anything until I have a chance to test drive it to make sure everything works right. I hope you all like it so far.

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
Jul 6, 2004
el cajon
Name
chad
Boat
26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
Great idea on the bilge pump . I'll be copying that .boat look great.

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
I copied the bilge pump on my western. I really like the quick remove floor better than my 8 slated 32 screw set up.
Good job Jeff !!

Reactions: J Woodman

EL JEFE

Feb 7, 2004
Inland Empire
Name
"EL JEFE"
Boat
1988 Arima Sea Sprinter
Nice job! Someone's gonna get a nice boat that was done right!

Do you have a small tin boat for yourself?

I scaled down myself with a 17' Gregor CC. Gregors are nice boats and constructed well.

Boba-Lou

Dec 31, 2006
Leucadia, Ca
Name
Bob
Boat
23' Panga (Ganchado)
Love your idea's of indirect l lights and extra compartments in foam filled cross sections. I'm on my fourth boat now which is a 14ft Klamath. I had a chance to do some work on it when I bought it back in Dec 14, its a used 2005 hull and 15hp 4strk Honda. I was able to take it to Baja and leave it in my garage for our next trip on the 24th for a couple of weeks. That will be our maiden voyage on it. When I was down Dec/Jan, it was freezing weather, too cold to take out!! I had some idea's too but need to accumulate a few more items to take and upgrade in the garage. Again, great idea's and keep them coming!!

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
Nice job! Someone's gonna get a nice boat that was done right!

Do you have a small tin boat for yourself?

I scaled down myself with a 17' Gregor CC. Gregors are nice boats and constructed well.
Yes, I have a 15' Gregor similar to this one, but with a few more tricks built into it.

On another note, I finished this project with a Honda 20 hp, electric start and power trim/tilt. I took it for a test ride in Ventura harbor about 2 weeks ago and got a top speed on a handheld GPS of 22.5 mph. I was pretty happy about that but it did have some slow speed issues so it is getting the carb. rebuilt right now. I will post pics of the finished product when I get the motor back on.

Reactions: Goonie

Goonie

Goodies Never Say Die!
Aug 22, 2013
El Cajon, CA.
Name
Jason
Boat
17' Gregor
How long has it been since you completed your Herculiner floor and interior paint?
Any chipping, peeling?
How many times have you been out in the boat since?
How is the paint holding up?
How is the Berliner hold up?
How do you store your boat?
What would you do differently if anything?

With the 20hp, how big O' boy are ya? And do you have any passengers, is so what their weight?

Love the light!
Awesome job! Thanks fir sharing!

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
How long has it been since you completed your Herculiner floor and interior paint?
Any chipping, peeling?
How many times have you been out in the boat since?
How is the paint holding up?
How is the Berliner hold up?
How do you store your boat?
What would you do differently if anything?

With the 20hp, how big O' boy are ya? And do you have any passengers, is so what their weight?

Love the light!
Awesome job! Thanks fir sharing!
Let me start from the top:
It has been 1 full year since I put herculiner in my 15' Gregor. It wouldn't be fair to use the 14 footer for these questions since it has only been on the water 1 time. Absolutely no chipping or peeling. The paint has some scuff marks on it where I stack hoop nets and is partially worn off in the back where I keep a milk crate and plastic 5 gallon bucket.
I have used the boat extensively on fishing trips and probably 40 times hooping since new.
Both the paint and bedliner are in great condition today.
The boat is stored in a covered carport out of the sun. I have a friend with another Gregor with 3 years of similar wear on it. He keeps it in a parking lot with a cover on it. You can see some minor cracks in the plywood under the bedliner. The bedliner material is still in good condition.
I would have gone to law school instead of getting high and working construction when I could.
I was by myself when I gave the 20 horse a trial run in the 14 footer. I am #230 and I probably had a little less than #100 of gear, battery, fuel, etc. That is me in my avatar pic in my first aluminum, a 12' Valco. You can see I needed a bigger boat.

Goonie

Goodies Never Say Die!
Aug 22, 2013
El Cajon, CA.
Name
Jason
Boat
17' Gregor
Let me start from the top:
It has been 1 full year since I put herculiner in my 15' Gregor. It wouldn't be fair to use the 14 footer for these questions since it has only been on the water 1 time. Absolutely no chipping or peeling. The paint has some scuff marks on it where I stack hoop nets and is partially worn off in the back where I keep a milk crate and plastic 5 gallon bucket.
I have used the boat extensively on fishing trips and probably 40 times hooping since new.
Both the paint and bedliner are in great condition today.
The boat is stored in a covered carport out of the sun. I have a friend with another Gregor with 3 years of similar wear on it. He keeps it in a parking lot with a cover on it. You can see some minor cracks in the plywood under the bedliner. The bedliner material is still in good condition.
I would have gone to law school instead of getting high and working construction when I could.
I was by myself when I gave the 20 horse a trial run in the 14 footer. I am #230 and I probably had a little less than #100 of gear, battery, fuel, etc. That is me in my avatar pic in my first aluminum, a 12' Valco. You can see I needed a bigger boat.
Tks for the details! It's never too late to go back to school. Lol

Reactions: NO4NMTL

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
Here is the finished product. I finally got the motor back from the shop where they did a carb. rebuild. It took forever.....and ever! I don't think I will go back there. I got the trailer finished up with new bunks, sloped in the back and extra padding for shallow launch and new LED lights and double tow chain.

003.JPG

Then I mounted the 2003 Honda 20 hp with electric start, power tilt & trim. Thats what the heavy duty wiring and plug behind the rear seat was all about.

004.JPG

006.JPG

I am also including 2 life jackets, a throw cushion, a paddle, and a storage tarp with support underneath.

005.JPG

002.JPG

When I sell this it will include a fully installed Raymarine DS 400 color fish finder. If anybody is interested it is for sale for $4600. The best way to get a hold of me is call or text Jeff @ 805-701-7673. You can also leave a PM on this site. I usually check in at least once a day.

Juny

Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
Killer job on the restore. I sometimes wish I had waited around for a 20hp instead of a 15hp for my 15'.

Produce Man

How you Bean ?
Jul 20, 2003
San Diego/Rolando Village
Name
Jay
Boat
14' Hewescraft
Fantastic job on the resto. I will be stealing several of your ideas for my 14' Hewescraft. What did you use for holding the anchor? Looks like large diameter pvc that you formed. Also what are your thoughts on 4 vs 3 blade props for small boats? That boat should sell fast.

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
Fantastic job on the resto. I will be stealing several of your ideas for my 14' Hewescraft. What did you use for holding the anchor? Looks like large diameter pvc that you formed. Also what are your thoughts on 4 vs 3 blade props for small boats? That boat should sell fast.
You are correct on the anchor sleeve, it is 2 1/2" pvc that I heated and then shaped. That is the first motor I have had with 4 blades. I can't really tell any difference without comparing it to a 3 blade prop.

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Great job, where did you get the LED light strip?