bayareafishn

Nov 8, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
Name
Craig
Boat
Looking for a surf skiff
I’m working on restoring a 13ft whaler and found some old repairs while sanding off some really cracked gel coat. Little investigating showed that water got inside and started rotting/eating at the foam inside the hull. Not sure where to go from here, do I cut out a square section around where I think the extent of the damage is? I know I need to get all the old foam out but not exactly sure how. Any help or direction on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated!
EA930CCC-9DA2-4CD1-98E4-EA5B185D1472.jpeg
609E4CB0-003A-4D57-8128-D2D1E8BAAD15.jpeg
5E0CA91C-F7BC-4B56-ADA9-BC9752CDFA80.jpeg
7958175D-CA09-4BBC-AECE-F8A1500B2A23.jpeg
AAD57C79-17C9-451D-A9F6-69162BF6EF71.jpeg

Upvote 0

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Is that toward the front locker? Do 13's have a front locker? I have been working on my old blue deck Whaler for over a year, but I don't have that kind of damage.

Are you aware of ContinuousWave.com and WhalerCentral? Lot's of info and most times helpful members. The owner of the first site will drive you crazy as he is OCD and can't stop himself from mucking with every posts content. He has a great site with tons of great info. WhalerCentral is a bit friendlier, and likely has many folk that have done these same repairs.

Good luck.

Reactions: onehottip
Upvote 0

WHALER21

Almost A Member
  • Aug 27, 2006
    Cerritos
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat
    BW Justice 17', Parker 2320, 15' Boston Whaler & 16' G3
    I’m working on restoring a 13ft whaler and found some old repairs while sanding off some really cracked gel coat. Little investigating showed that water got inside and started rotting/eating at the foam inside the hull. Not sure where to go from here, do I cut out a square section around where I think the extent of the damage is? I know I need to get all the old foam out but not exactly sure how. Any help or direction on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 1237506View attachment 1237507View attachment 1237508View attachment 1237510View attachment 1237511
    Have you had a chance to inspect the entire hull for soft spots? Hopefully, this is an isolated condition and not too serious. Like somebody already mentioned, the site Continious Whaler has helpful information of other whaler owners that has foam that is saturated with water and what they did to fix it. By the way, did you have a chance to see how the hull floats before you started the work? Good luck.

Upvote 0

bayareafishn

Nov 8, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Name
    Craig
    Boat
    Looking for a surf skiff
    Is that toward the front locker? Do 13's have a front locker? I have been working on my old blue deck Whaler for over a year, but I don't have that kind of damage.

Are you aware of ContinuousWave.com and WhalerCentral? Lot's of info and most times helpful members. The owner of the first site will drive you crazy as he is OCD and can't stop himself from mucking with every posts content. He has a great site with tons of great info. WhalerCentral is a bit friendlier, and likely has many folk that have done these same repairs.

Good luck.
    Yup right up near the front locker in the middle of the W that runs thru the front. I’ll check out continuous wave, thanks for that. Already made a post on whaler central so we’ll see if anyone that’s done this before can chime in

Does getrot work on foam? Great on dryrot wood.
    Not too sure haven’t heard of it, I’ll check it out and see though!

Have you had a chance to inspect the entire hull for soft spots? Hopefully, this is an isolated condition and not too serious. Like somebody already mentioned, the site Continious Whaler has helpful information of other whaler owners that has foam that is saturated with water and what they did to fix it. By the way, did you have a chance to see how the hull floats before you started the work? Good luck.

The only soft spots I can feel are just immediately around the botched repairs. I’ll have to check tomorrow for soft spots on the bottom of the hull... I used the boat a handful of times before starting and it sat just like any other 13ft, hopefully that means there’s not much if any water trapped? I didn’t have another whaler to compare side by side but I used one for work for years and it felt exactly the same.

Thanks all for the help!

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
    Poly foam does not rot. It will slowly collect water if left in contact with the water. Apparently once it gets wet it is very difficult to get it dry again. The good news is wet foam does not necessarily cause a big issue except for make your boat heavy. If she floats OK, I would remove the crappy looking part on top, and repair the foam with some two part foam maybe 4 or 6lb, poly sheets and sand bags.

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Karlow is spot on.

I have cut open 2 13' Whalers that had decent water intrusion. One had the whole deck cut off and sat open over the whole summer. The exposed 1/2" of the foam would dry but thats was it. Stick your finger into it and water would run out. I believe what happens is once water gets into the hull there is enough flex in the fiberglass that the water gets driven deep into the foam when the boat pounds. Only way to get rid of the water is cut out any wet foam.

Upvote 0

Latest posts