nik olson

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 23, 2014
PNW
Name
nik
Boat
Davis Cortez
You guys with your rad compact skiffs have inspired me to get off my ass and build one. I have a bigger boat but was interested in getting a little 12-15 ft skiff for crabbing in the Puget Sound and San Juan Islands. Up here in the NW, Livingston's are pretty common( and cheap), so I picked up a 13fter yesterday. I like the stability that a cat hull provides in such a small boat. Ill start by cleaning it, drying it out, removing all the crap on it, flipping it and getting to work on the outer hull.

IMG_0148.jpg IMG_0149.jpg

nik olson

Aug 23, 2014
PNW
Name
nik
Boat
Davis Cortez
Not much fun stuff to report. I have just been sanding off all the old paint and most of the primer. I'm thinking of going with a narrow center console, center storage/fish compartment on the middle bow, stern- storage box on one side-fuel tank on the other with an engine well, battery in the steering console. Also want to add some floor boards so I'm not standing on a wet floor all the time maybe teak. If I had any skills with the photo editor I could draw it. But I don't. So I can't.

IMG_0178.jpg

rydawg

Feb 13, 2015
Name
Ryan
Boat
Livingston
Livingston boats are great platforms for a custom build... keep up the good work!

nik olson

Aug 23, 2014
PNW
Name
nik
Boat
Davis Cortez
Actually been working hard on this thing but not much visual progress. Sanded all the bottom paint off and removed a lot of the previous gelcoat, paint, whatever old finishes were on it. Finally found a new pad for the 8 inch DA which made the job much quicker. There is quite a bit more damage to the keels than I anticipated so this is gonna take longer than I thought, but it's all good! Going to be glassing and repairing damage this week.

IMG_0244.jpg IMG_0245.jpg IMG_0247.jpg

mikedynp

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 30, 2016
montana
Name
mike
Boat
"the drain plug", 18' klamath;1979 17' Boston whaler (it's a project)
Nice work. I have a similar project that I am getting ready to start as soon as it warms up a bit. Are you planning on using gelcoat or paint on the hull?

nik olson

Aug 23, 2014
PNW
Name
nik
Boat
Davis Cortez
I'm thinking gelcoat but I haven't made my mind up yet. I think it's a little more durable than paint- for beach launching, crabbing, and general banging around?

Reactions: mikedynp

stella marina

Nov 21, 2011
santa cruz
Name
Andrew
Boat
Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
Nice job bud!
Isn't sanding fun??
I learned long sleeves are a must, and a resperator, rather than a dust mask..
Can't wait to see it all done.
I just received my tuff epoxy primer, hopefully it makes my first fiberglass attempt look better.
What are you going to use on the bottom after glassing?

nik olson

Aug 23, 2014
PNW
Name
nik
Boat
Davis Cortez
Oh yeah sanding fiberglass is the best lol. Yes sleeves, respirator, hat, all that. I don't know yet what I want to do for the bottom. I'm liking this project because it's like a blank canvas-can do pretty much anything I want as long as it's within 13ft... any suggestions? It will not be kept in the water for more than a few days at a time. Would prefer no bottom paint...

Reactions: elifish

stella marina

Nov 21, 2011
santa cruz
Name
Andrew
Boat
Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
I'm planning on making a larger casting platform in the front, like the other livingston on here, check out the seahawk tuff stuff for the bottom. It's suppose to be a water barrier, comes in white or grey., I'll let you know how it goes once the weather warms back up.

gunnyslinger

PickDickler
Mar 15, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Justin
Boat
20’ CC
I'm thinking gelcoat but I haven't made my mind up yet. I think it's a little more durable than paint- for beach launching, crabbing, and general banging around?
Take a look at VC Performance Epoxy. I just painted the bottom of my skiff with it. Easy stuff to work with.

nik olson

Aug 23, 2014
PNW
Name
nik
Boat
Davis Cortez
Ok thanks for the replies. I will check them out.

mikedynp

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 30, 2016
montana
Name
mike
Boat
"the drain plug", 18' klamath;1979 17' Boston whaler (it's a project)
That's the way I am leaning as well. Seems like people have pretty strong opinions on the matter in both sides. Have you done a project like this before?

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Ah another Livingston boat project! Looking good!

Aliikai17

May 6, 2012
Kona Hawaii
Name
Pat
Boat
Less now
Just go home depot and pick up a sander outside. Way better and you don't get any fiberglass on you!! Thought about doing that on my next project to subcontract it out at home depot.

dmrides

Jun 23, 2009
San Diego
Name
Darren
Boat
Firstlight; Livingston 14
You should look into getting the stainless steel keel guards from Livingston as long as you’re doing all that bottom work.

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
Have that exact boat. After much use the floor WILL WEAR OUT. Solve this issue by placing floorboards on the high spots on the edges on the floor. Use 3/4 ply with water proof glue and you will be happy. If you go with bare floors in time it will delaminate and it’s a time consuming rebuild. I filled mine with foam and cut a larger well in each side for the bilge pumps and float switches. Run a 25-30 hp 2 stroke as these are weight sensitive. Not sure about a light four stroke as the 28hp erude special I run on mine gets the job done very well. Also before you build in the front area fill the spots not used with foam. Would balance the battery’s and such up front to help with the initial plane. I use mine as a bay boat and placed the bait tank in between the two seats back of center in the starboard well worked out great. I have. The factory center console and just sit facing to port. You will love it when done. The hole in the hull is very common and it initially had the stainless runner on it clearly removed from yours. Use the bags of cement to figure out where to put stuff. Hate redoing things or what I call twice or three times construction! Best of luck to you.....

nik olson

Aug 23, 2014
PNW
Name
nik
Boat
Davis Cortez
Hey thanks guys... A lot of useful input. Norm- I'm planning on doing glassed-in plywood floor boards, about 1-2 inches above the bottom. Someone at one time had added stainless runners on the skegs. I removed them and not planning on re -installing them. Also, like the idea of adding foam up front. We don't fish with live bait up here, so not stressing about where to put a bait tank.

What do you think about a 20hp 4 stroke- is that enough power?

dmrides

Jun 23, 2009
San Diego
Name
Darren
Boat
Firstlight; Livingston 14
Mine had a 20hp 4 stroke on it when I bought it. When it died I put a 25 4 stroke on it. Though it is heavier, it does much better fully loaded, especially with two people. I get an extra 4-6 knots without much change in mpg.

Reactions: Mo Betta

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
I would suggest you look at the footprint of the motor you looking at. Most run a different carb and timing for 20-30 horsepower. Go with the most you can get for the year and series of engine your looking at. Just don’t go bonsai full throttle from the start the transom on the 13 I think is rated for 20. You can go larger and just use some common sense on how you operate the boat. Again the weight on a 13 needs to be carefully thought out. The gunnels are deep, however be careful on the weight.

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
I find my 20hp Yamaha 4stroke tiller, lacking excitement. It gets the job done but that’s it, 22mph max, solo.

Reactions: dmrides