Offshore 137 Miles and Insane Meter Marks

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
Left Cabrillo at 6 AM, Saturday 7/24 with 84 y/o Dad and covered a total of 137 miles. Picked up bait from SP and most of it rolled. We basically worked from Pedro towards the outer rigs to the East end of Catalina to the West end of Clemente. Came across many kelp paddys that were barren. Saw 1 small group of fish boiling off the front side of Clemente (about 5 miles from the Island), then proceeded to find a handful (or more) of paddys that looked like this one.

IMG_4353.jpg

Worked the area with all the usual tactics and never saw one boil, BUT this was on our machine for over 1 hour drifting this particular paddy. This was under the boat constantly. Looks like something pretty fishy to me...

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4367.jpg
I thought I was hallucinating the entire time. Tried every tactic and never saw even a boil come out of it. Literally drove away from this after Nothing would get them to go, after close to 1 1/2 hours.

Went in to the shallows at Clemente and caught a few bass (just for my Dad to get a tug on the new bass rod I bought him). Reworked the area we came in on and then hit the East end of Cat to Long Point trolling rapalas for a lone bonito, while wishing we spent the day at our usual spots...hindsight being 20/20. The weather at Cat was beautiful. Boarded by the Fish & Game and the two really young wardens were very cool. With no live bait, we headed home and hit up the fuel dock right at 6 PM. $346 of gas later, we were back at the dock. Had the hall pass from the wife and made the most out of the 12 hour day with my Dad. Fishing is fishing and still tired from that run. Man I'm getting old.

The icing on the cake was watching a school of tuna blow up 9 miles outside of the San Pedro lighthouse on the way home. They sunk out super fast and we couldn't relocate them.

So, so Sick...

Tight lines and all the best.

- Nick

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
Mar 25, 2006
Pomona, CA
Name
Paco
Boat
1996 Ranger 488VS 1980 24' Skipjack "La Cuarentona"
Left Cabrillo at 6 AM, Saturday 7/24 with 84 y/o Dad and covered a total of 137 miles. Picked up bait from SP and most of it rolled. We basically worked from Pedro towards the outer rigs to the East end of Catalina to the West end of Clemente. Came across many kelp paddys that were barren. Saw 1 small group of fish boiling off the front side of Clemente (about 5 miles from the Island), then proceeded to find a handful (or more) of paddys that looked like this one.

View attachment 1302747

Worked the area with all the usual tactics and never saw one boil, BUT this was on our machine for over 1 hour drifting this particular paddy. This was under the boat constantly. Looks like something pretty fishy to me...

View attachment 1302748

View attachment 1302749

View attachment 1302750

View attachment 1302751
I thought I was hallucinating the entire time. Tried every tactic and never saw even a boil come out of it. Literally drove away from this after Nothing would get them to go, after close to 1 1/2 hours.

Went in to the shallows at Clemente and caught a few bass (just for my Dad to get a tug on the new bass rod I bought him). Reworked the area we came in on and then hit the East end of Cat to Long Point trolling rapalas for a lone bonito, while wishing we spent the day at our usual spots...hindsight being 20/20. The weather at Cat was beautiful. Boarded by the Fish & Game and the two really young wardens were very cool. With no live bait, we headed home and hit up the fuel dock right at 6 PM. $346 of gas later, we were back at the dock. Had the hall pass from the wife and made the most out of the 12 hour day with my Dad. Fishing is fishing and still tired from that run. Man I'm getting old.

The icing on the cake was watching a school of tuna blow up 9 miles outside of the San Pedro lighthouse on the way home. They sunk out super fast and we couldn't relocate them.

So, so Sick...

Tight lines and all the best.

- Nick
Almost the same thing for us on Saturday.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Those meter marks are the Opah/Sarcastic Fringehead hybrids we have been hearing so much about. They only bite rainbow power bait on the slide..... :D

Thanks for the report!

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Always enjoy your reports Nick, especially how your Pops hangs with the best of 'em not only crossing that channel but also on those looooong offshore days.

We've certainly had days like yours and like you, my mind is boggled when the meter is lit up like that but I cant get a single bite especially when nothing in the tacklebox is working.

In no time you and your Pops are gonna be sending your son over the transom with a spear and a mask to force feed whatever was making those marks.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

QuailSlayer

Almost A Member
    Aug 3, 2014
    Coastal - San Diego North County
    Name
    jj
    Boat
    Got one
    Thanks for the post Nick. Same outcome for us today. Long boat ride, tons of marks (big and small), and boiling BFT all thru the day and couldn’t get a stinking bite. Big girls were deep early but creeped up to the 150’ mark later.

8960BF8A-F159-4B60-A202-FD77513D4D68.jpeg

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
    May 18, 2013
    Cali
    Name
    Dan Monster
    Boat
    Predatormonster
    My pics from today. Same result. 120 miles from HH. Mack bank, snail, cat west end then back to HH

View attachment 1302868

View attachment 1302869

View attachment 1302870

Thanks for the post Nick. Same outcome for us today. Long boat ride, tons of marks (big and small), and boiling BFT all thru the day and couldn’t get a stinking bite. Big girls were deep early but creeped up to the 150’ mark later.

View attachment 1302895
    First pic looks like two whales ! The second two are tuna below bait . The next guy is on bait .

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Well brother Nick.... you see that the BFT don't care how much you spend in pursuit of them. But... you had a great day on the water.... brought dad..... saw puzzling signs...meter marks... made it home safe. You did the big "circle" brother...covering much ground and all those patties. Sometimes that's your day. Sometimes that's a warm up...for your next trip. I believe the second. Be safe brother.

Reactions: Donkey Nick
    Upvote 0