Boat
None
NLA 1.75 December 3-5, 2021
25 Anglers
100 BFT 15-80#, mainly 20#ers, 2 YT 25-30#
Captain Adam
Chef Raul
Crew Matt, Josh, Aaron, Max

We left Point Loma Landing under cold and cloudy skies but once onboard most of us had our heads down the first hours gearing up to even notice. Some of the Big Boys had been caught the week before so while kids have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads at this time of year, we had visions of butterballs and cows bending our rods with line caroling off our reels. Fueled and baited, it was supposed to be a 10 hour run to the tuna grounds at Tanner with an eta of 9:30 PM. On the way, eclectic extraordinaire chef Raul cooked us some tasty homemade lasagna (see pic). Tummy happy, head and body netted in a food coma, me and almost all waddle the ladder down below to rest up for battle. Around 6:30PM my heart alarm starts pounding louder as the NLA engines get quieter. I’m up on deck, it’s dark and cold but Adam’s on the speakers saying he’s marking the Big Boys so adrenaline takes over. We’re 3 hours away from Tanner and just outside Desperation. For 30-45 minutes KB’s, SK’s, FF’s ...drop deep for no biters. All show and no go so we keep on rolling through bumpy water. Rack of lamb that melted off the bone, couscous and grilled asparagus for dinner. Did I mention that Raul could cook! 3AM, Night Cap Josh slides over a high spot and we anchor up. Nothing on the meter but the plan is to make squid for bait. For one hour we’re trying to net them but only the 2-3” models are attracted to our overhanging light. At 4AM we’re all about to hit the galley or bunk again when Josh yells “ they’re here and under us!” I drop my pink 250g KB tied straight to 30’ of 100# mono, 400+ yards of Maxcuatro 100# braid on a Lefty HXJ Raptor and Hydra KB PE8-12 stick. I’m bit almost instantly and a few minutes later the first BFT hits the deck. More wake up and rods are bending with hooping and hollering following. Next two fish I hand off to Nancy who spiritedly battled the two 20#ers to the deck with my lefty reel. She had one limit by 5AM with one to go since this 1.75 had a multiday permit for two limits! Our first stop tally was 45 BFT. 4-5 hour anchor bite so about 8:30AM we pull up and go searching. With the sunrise, most of us shift to flylining dines on 20-40# fluoro. There were a few exceptions though that stuck to working the jigs for the entire 15 hours of rail time. High and hotstick Deon was one of them and he was on fire almost every stop with 14 notches etched to his belt and 2 handoffs to boot. On every stop, depth ranged from 200-400#, Deon sat and rented the port stern corner casting 100’ downwind a 200-250g yellow and pink rockcod jig with twin 5/0 or7/0 assist hooks attached at the bottom. As we drifted or anchored, the mystery jig would hit bottom and be almost vertical at the port stern corner, then he’d work it by flipping it off the bottom like he’s fishing for rockcod and he’d go bent! If that technique didn’t get bit he’d combine the yoyo technique ( fast wind or burn 10-20 cranks ), stop then add the rockcod flipping, slow pitch, technique and get bent again. If I wasn’t right next to him I wouldn’t believe what I just wrote down. In fact, Deon said he was on a charter with Markus a few weeks before applying the same technique and he got skunked. Go figure...Adam though did say that the BFT were marking on the bottom and up to 200’. So Deon’s method shined like a star on our trip. Dave, Dave pops, Kent and myself landed 20/100 on KB’s. I went 7/10 with 3 handoffs. I had to pay the Seal Tax on one loss, 200#+ seal grabbed my bft at deep color and ran 100+ yards with it when Matt took over and tried valiantly the next 10 minutes to get it back. #7 or 27# fluoro is pretty impressive, it was able to stop a seal and almost get my bft back to the deck but snapped with just 50’ to go. Matt did say though if my reel was right handed I’d of had the slightly chewed up bft on the deck. See video attached. Another loss was due to the normal chaos of getting tangled but the last loss was my booboo. I had new braid and new topshot put on my SX reel and had assumed my drag was set the same. One of the sweetest sounds on earth is seeing and hearing line peeling and whirring off on a flylined dine. Then setting it slowly to strike is when the “tug is the drug” overwhelms your senses. In this instant though, my blueprinted Avet SX with 27# fluoro was unwarily set at 20#+ of drag at strike, so my SD knot combusted instantly when it tapped tight. Pooh...#4 circle, 25# fluoro and butt hooked dine accounted for most of the flylined tally. Cap Adam moved us 5-6 times so instead of two turtle doves on day two, the 25 of us drummers drumming and pipers piping put on deck 100 BFT and two day limits! We were hoping to take one more shot at the Big Boys we saw earlier at Desperation, it didn’t happen so we’re still dreaming of them dancing next time on our line...It’s a wonderful blessing to have and share BFT at Christmas!

NLA 2 DAY LIMITS.jpg

NLA JONATHAN LIVINGSTON SEAGULL FREE .jpg

NLA RAUL LASAGNA.jpg

NLA RACK OF LAMB.jpg

Attachments

• NLA BFT VIDEO ON DECK.MOV
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • NLA SEAL TAX.MOV
    3 MB · Views: 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Classic!
Then setting it slowly to strike is when the “tug is the drug” overwhelms your senses. In this instant though, my blueprinted Avet SX with 27# fluoro was unwarily set at 20#+ of drag at strike, so my SD knot combusted instantly when it tapped tight.

This too . . .
NLA JONATHAN LIVINGSTON SEAGULL FREE .jpg

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
Another great tail of all that's good!
Nice to see even the pros can improve on something. Alan always checks the drag on every reel..you know he carries that scale with him like a pocket knife.
Thanks Brother Ben!
Alan’s BFT gear can fit in a bank pouch 11 x 2.5 x 5.5 inches. Didn’t know though that he had a scale in his pocket when mine is normally in my backpack. Next season, I’ll be carrying mine like a pocket knife too. Whoever said old dogs couldn’t learn new tricks probably wasn’t a fisherman…

Upvote 0

Localkine

Mar 6, 2017
Chula Vista
Name
Stanton
Boat
Project
NLA 1.75 December 3-5, 2021
25 Anglers
100 BFT 15-80#, mainly 20#ers, 2 YT 25-30#
Captain Adam
Chef Raul
Crew Matt, Josh, Aaron, Max

We left Point Loma Landing under cold and cloudy skies but once onboard most of us had our heads down the first hours gearing up to even notice. Some of the Big Boys had been caught the week before so while kids have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads at this time of year, we had visions of butterballs and cows bending our rods with line caroling off our reels. Fueled and baited, it was supposed to be a 10 hour run to the tuna grounds at Tanner with an eta of 9:30 PM. On the way, eclectic extraordinaire chef Raul cooked us some tasty homemade lasagna (see pic). Tummy happy, head and body netted in a food coma, me and almost all waddle the ladder down below to rest up for battle. Around 6:30PM my heart alarm starts pounding louder as the NLA engines get quieter. I’m up on deck, it’s dark and cold but Adam’s on the speakers saying he’s marking the Big Boys so adrenaline takes over. We’re 3 hours away from Tanner and just outside Desperation. For 30-45 minutes KB’s, SK’s, FF’s ...drop deep for no biters. All show and no go so we keep on rolling through bumpy water. Rack of lamb that melted off the bone, couscous and grilled asparagus for dinner. Did I mention that Raul could cook! 3AM, Night Cap Josh slides over a high spot and we anchor up. Nothing on the meter but the plan is to make squid for bait. For one hour we’re trying to net them but only the 2-3” models are attracted to our overhanging light. At 4AM we’re all about to hit the galley or bunk again when Josh yells “ they’re here and under us!” I drop my pink 250g KB tied straight to 30’ of 100# mono, 400+ yards of Maxcuatro 100# braid on a Lefty HXJ Raptor and Hydra KB PE8-12 stick. I’m bit almost instantly and a few minutes later the first BFT hits the deck. More wake up and rods are bending with hooping and hollering following. Next two fish I hand off to Nancy who spiritedly battled the two 20#ers to the deck with my lefty reel. She had one limit by 5AM with one to go since this 1.75 had a multiday permit for two limits! Our first stop tally was 45 BFT. 4-5 hour anchor bite so about 8:30AM we pull up and go searching. With the sunrise, most of us shift to flylining dines on 20-40# fluoro. There were a few exceptions though that stuck to working the jigs for the entire 15 hours of rail time. High and hotstick Deon was one of them and he was on fire almost every stop with 14 notches etched to his belt and 2 handoffs to boot. On every stop, depth ranged from 200-400#, Deon sat and rented the port stern corner casting 100’ downwind a 200-250g yellow and pink rockcod jig with twin 5/0 or7/0 assist hooks attached at the bottom. As we drifted or anchored, the mystery jig would hit bottom and be almost vertical at the port stern corner, then he’d work it by flipping it off the bottom like he’s fishing for rockcod and he’d go bent! If that technique didn’t get bit he’d combine the yoyo technique ( fast wind or burn 10-20 cranks ), stop then add the rockcod flipping, slow pitch, technique and get bent again. If I wasn’t right next to him I wouldn’t believe what I just wrote down. In fact, Deon said he was on a charter with Markus a few weeks before applying the same technique and he got skunked. Go figure...Adam though did say that the BFT were marking on the bottom and up to 200’. So Deon’s method shined like a star on our trip. Dave, Dave pops, Kent and myself landed 20/100 on KB’s. I went 7/10 with 3 handoffs. I had to pay the Seal Tax on one loss, 200#+ seal grabbed my bft at deep color and ran 100+ yards with it when Matt took over and tried valiantly the next 10 minutes to get it back. #7 or 27# fluoro is pretty impressive, it was able to stop a seal and almost get my bft back to the deck but snapped with just 50’ to go. Matt did say though if my reel was right handed I’d of had the slightly chewed up bft on the deck. See video attached. Another loss was due to the normal chaos of getting tangled but the last loss was my booboo. I had new braid and new topshot put on my SX reel and had assumed my drag was set the same. One of the sweetest sounds on earth is seeing and hearing line peeling and whirring off on a flylined dine. Then setting it slowly to strike is when the “tug is the drug” overwhelms your senses. In this instant though, my blueprinted Avet SX with 27# fluoro was unwarily set at 20#+ of drag at strike, so my SD knot combusted instantly when it tapped tight. Pooh...#4 circle, 25# fluoro and butt hooked dine accounted for most of the flylined tally. Cap Adam moved us 5-6 times so instead of two turtle doves on day two, the 25 of us drummers drumming and pipers piping put on deck 100 BFT and two day limits! We were hoping to take one more shot at the Big Boys we saw earlier at Desperation, it didn’t happen so we’re still dreaming of them dancing next time on our line...It’s a wonderful blessing to have and share BFT at Christmas!

View attachment 1340885

View attachment 1340887

View attachment 1340888

View attachment 1340889
Thanks for the blow by blows, Pics and videos.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2021
SouthOC
Name
Steve
Boat
NONE
Nice report, Danny. You know it was a good trip when there is nowhere to walk on the deck!
That grub looks great. Is that Israeli couscous with lamb chop? Dang, I could have that for breakfast right now.

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
Nice report, Danny. You know it was a good trip when there is nowhere to walk on the deck!
That grub looks great. Is that Israeli couscous with lamb chop? Dang, I could have that for breakfast right now.
Arigato!
Chef Raul grew up some in Florida so he's got a Caribbean, Cuban, South American and Asian influence. Not sure where the couscous came from but everything he cooked up was tasty. A previous trip, many were raving that his cooking was the bomb as we rotated to sit in the galley. Raul shot back when we told him what all were saying, " it's not the bomb, it's Pearl Harbor!"

Reactions: Chicken of the Sea
Upvote 0