12/30 O'95 year end bluefin trip

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by neue, Dec 31, 2017.

1. neue

neue Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Outrage 17
    My son, Max, and I have been trying for bluefin for several years now. Despite our success in locating them many times, even bouncing lures off of them a few times, and having guests on our boat catch them, neither of us have been able to catch one ourselves (plenty of yellowfin, but not the fabled bluefin). We had really high hopes of catching one in 2017, and we paid our dues in time on the water and gas in the boat over the summer (probably not enough time and effort, but we're weekend warriors). When the bluefin started biting on the 60 mile bank in November, my wife and I gave Max an early Christmas present and sent him on a day and a half trip to give it a shot. Unfortunately, he didn't get one then. We saw on Fishdope that the bite has been continuing on the 60 and we decided to make one last effort to get one in 2017 and jumped on the Oceanside 95 leaving Friday night, and fishing Saturday, 12/30. I hadn't been on that boat before, but had read lots of positive things on BD about it. I can say that everything positive that I read was true. Captain Rick was awesome, and made some really good judgment calls that paid off. The crew was helpful and friendly, and the boat is very nice. We had 21 passengers on the trip, everyone was experienced and friendly and it made for a nice day.

We left on Friday, baited up, and headed for the 60 mile bank. I woke when the anchor dropped about 6am. We fished about 11 hours on the anchor, and the action was slow but steady the whole day. Those fishing light line (15-20lb floro) did the best, with small hooks (size 4). I am stubborn, so I fished 30lb mono with a 1/0 hook to see if it would make a difference. I got less bites, but when I found a good swimming bait, it got bit. All of the fish were about 15-20lbs. However, I hooked one that was substantially larger, and it ripped line off my Lexa 400 and almost spooled me. In a panic I cranked the drag down and gained back about half the line. If I had been thinking clearly, I would have backed the drag off a little, but my arms were giving out after a while, and I ultimately had a line failure in the 65lb spectra backing (really heartbreaking). The good news is that I did manage to hook and land my first bluefin a short while later. My son managed to land 2 bluefin, and since he ate the heart of the first one, he dared me to do the same, and I did. I had already done this ritual a few years back with a yellowfin (which did not taste good), but was surprised that it wasn't too bad. I managed to catch a yellowtail when a paddy drifted close to the boat. The total count for the boat was 34 bluefin, so almost boat limits.
    This was a great way to end the year for us. Happy New Year fellow BD'ers!

DSC04247-pb.jpg DSC04253-pb.jpg DSC04266-pb.jpg

2. tmines

tmines Dead Engine :(

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    SkipJack 20 Open
    What a way to end the year, Father & Son slaying blue fin!! Congrats!!

3. chef gabe

chef gabe Eat the collars!

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
    Awesome mike. Glad to see you got on them and a yellowtail on a paddy in December!!!!
    Happy new year!!!:jig:

4. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Great deal. Sounds fun. My brother and his son are on the Chief today hear the boat had limits!! Her from him at rose bowl tomorrow. Excited to go be fun. I leave for Illinois on business Tuesday. Hear it’s -20 there!!! Fuck me. Happy New Year !!! Hope we have half as good fishing next year!!! Cheers!!

5. Mark49

Mark49 Mark litwiler

Name:
    Mark Litwiler
    Boat:
    In search
    so awesome to get your first! crazy they are still here biting.

6. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Great report--- CONGRATS!! Sorry for the big one that got away!

7. lkatdpelicanfly

lkatdpelicanfly Lizard Fish Slayer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Kayak
    How big were the yellowtail?

8. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Way to GO Mike and MAX looks stoked. Too cool. Happy New Year! LOL

9. Jdouglas

Jdouglas Member

Name:
    Jesus
    Boat:
    17' holiday center console
  10. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Awesome! Glad you guys got some!! Thanks for posting a report!

11. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    Great father/son story. Happy New Year.

12. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Love these stories, way to hang in there and work at it. Congrats on the first bluefin for both of you. You and your son will always have that memory to share!

13. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    Congrats to you and your son:jig:Way to be a good dad. Eating the heart saves dinner money. Could have gone back for seconds.

14. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    Awesome way to end the year...:appl:
    Glad the weather held steady and you were able to share some great memories..

15. scubaarchery

scubaarchery ScubaArchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Congratulations great way to end a year and a great experience with your son. Can’t wait for my 2 and 5 year old girls to join me!

16. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Thanks for the review and congrats! How was it fishing with 21 in terms of space? I see max load is 34 so also curious, if anyone has gone when it's max load, what its like fishing with that many.