shinbob

Almost A Member
Oct 31, 2011
Pasadena
Name
Shin
Boat
Triton 240 LTS
Took out my new boat for a break-in/shake-down cruse with my daughter. Launched out of Cabrillo at 6am to foggy conditions. Thankfully my Humminbird radar and chartplotter worked really well, once I figured it out.

Other than the persistent fog, conditions were really nice, little wind and 1-foot seas. Saw HUGE pod of dolphins off PV, which was a lot of fun as they really wanted to swim with us, and with the low seating position of the bay boat, it felt like we were swimming with them too. After 2 hours of cruising around and doing engine break-in stuff, decided to try a few bottom spots before the rockfish closure sets in.

First 4 random but promising spots in east PV and west Horseshoe produced only whitefish and small rockfish, which were carefully descended and released. Went deeper and caught a few sand dabs, but the last spot of the day, again randomly chosen in the west horseshoe area in about 200 feet, was the ticket.

Daughter caught a really nice 3.6-lb vermillion, and followed up with a 3.5-lb canary rockfish. Far exceeded expectations for this bonus fishing session. With dinner well taken care of, down to our last few chunks of squid, did one last drop before going in for the day.

Hooked up to what seemed like a big rockfish at first, but after a few cranks was getting harder to pull in, and actually started taking drag. About 10 minutes of give and take (only had a 15-lb dropper loop rig), a big ling surfaced. I didn’t have a gaff on board, didn’t really think I would need one today, and only had a little bass net to try to get this in. After a few minutes of wondering what the heck to do, decided to put the ling’s head into the net and flip him up onto the deck. That worked, and the result was a 15.8-lb lingcod, by far my biggest ever, and in fact the biggest one I’ve seen in my limited party boat experience.

Bait used was chunks of some old frozen San Pedro Bait squid from a trip a few weeks ago that I re-froze and re-thawed. Tackle was my old Daiwa and Cabela’s linecounter reels, 30-lb braid, and cheapo Shimano rods that I use for trolling for stripers at Pyramid and Castaic.

I’m new to saltwater fishing, and am just amazed at the fishery we have right at our doorstep. I have all winter to get the boat, tackle, and equipment dialed in, and am looking forward to a great spring, summer, and fall in 2018!

Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
Oct 31, 2011
Pasadena
Name
Shin
Boat
Triton 240 LTS
FVk4jNR.jpg

Upvote 0

JustOneCast

Arnold
Sep 11, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
A CAST
Boat
25’ Farallon Whaleback
Nice work and great job putting your daughter on the fish. Happy New year and hope you rip lips on your new sled in 2018! Good start with the Ling!

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
No better way to break in a boat than to catch fish with it, congratulations and happy New Years! Many fishing adventures ahead.

Upvote 0

ctmfish

Almost A Member
Feb 2, 2010
Downey
Name
Cameron
Boat
Wellcraft V20
Congrats on a great beak in trip! Great report too! I don't know much about Triton boats but looks like a solid boat that can get the job done!

Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
Oct 31, 2011
Pasadena
Name
Shin
Boat
Triton 240 LTS
Thanks all -- I just realized that the title of this post makes it seem like my boat got broken into, haha. Is there any way to change the title?

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

willbuyone

Terry Cobb
Aug 4, 2016
Lompoc Ca
Name
Terry Cobb
Boat
Robalo R180 ( Sole Seeker )
Thanks all -- I just realized that the title of this post makes it seem like my boat got broken into, haha. Is there any way to change the title?

Go to your original post look for thread tools bottom right open that and choose edit title

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    FINTASTIC !!!!!!
    Great work. Your daughter's red is a nice dinner like you stated.
    A lot different than Castaic.
    Pretty much all my bass fishing is of the Pacific variety now a days.
    Same gear as used at Castaic and such, but a saltier bass species.
    Great sled you got Shin.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Way to break in the boat and fish with your kid. I was at PV with one of my daughters and her beau, and GOOD LORD was it foggy.

Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
    Oct 31, 2011
    Pasadena
    Name
    Shin
    Boat
    Triton 240 LTS
    Way to break in the boat and fish with your kid. I was at PV with one of my daughters and her beau, and GOOD LORD was it foggy.

Yeah, it was a lot foggier than forecast said. Kept waiting for it to burn off, which it did briefly before being blown back in the afternoon.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
    Oct 31, 2011
    Pasadena
    Name
    Shin
    Boat
    Triton 240 LTS
    FINTASTIC !!!!!!
    A lot different than Castaic.
    Pretty much all my bass fishing is of the Pacific variety now a days.
    Same gear as used at Castaic and such, but a saltier bass species.

Agree fully. I've learned that Calicos fight a WHOLE lot harder than LMB, that's for sure. I'm keeping my freshwater boat for the striper boil season, and for Crowley trips, but I think I'll be doing most of my C&R-type bass fishing in and around the kelp from now on.

Reactions: kookfarmer
    Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
    Whittier California
    Name
    Victor
    Boat
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Excellent,I was thinking while reading your post,man I would have liked to see some pics of those fish,I scroll down and bang!
    Beautiful red and a nice ling to boot,wtg Pops,also looks like your fishing from a nice skiff,congrats! Good times ahead.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Agree fully. I've learned that Calicos fight a WHOLE lot harder than LMB, that's for sure. I'm keeping my freshwater boat for the striper boil season, and for Crowley trips, but I think I'll be doing most of my C&R-type bass fishing in and around the kelp from now on.

Don’t limit yourself to kelp while bassing. There are a whole lotta bass out to 90’ around structure. They are deeper too, but C&R is problematic.

Enjoy your new ride, and see you out there.

Reactions: repo805
    Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
    Oct 31, 2011
    Pasadena
    Name
    Shin
    Boat
    Triton 240 LTS
    Don’t limit yourself to kelp while bassing. There are a whole lotta bass out to 90’ around structure. They are deeper too, but C&R is problematic.

Enjoy your new ride, and see you out there.

Thanks! I've seen your videos, and will try to emulate some of your tactics once I've had a chance to gear up appropriately. For now, though, I'm using my freshwater gear (Chronarchs and spinning tackle, 1/2-oz lures max), and having a blast on the 1-2 lb-ers along the kelp, breakwall, and in < 40 FOW.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Thanks! I've seen your videos, and will try to emulate some of your tactics once I've had a chance to gear up appropriately. For now, though, I'm using my freshwater gear (Chronarchs and spinning tackle, 1/2-oz lures max), and having a blast on the 1-2 lb-ers along the kelp, breakwall, and in < 40 FOW.

A Chronarch 100 with 10# would have caught everything we caught yesterday, except for the 10-15# BSB that punched above his weight. We used Chronarch regular and SF for years way back when. The Curado 200 was our heavy rig back then lol.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Title fixed

Reactions: shinbob
    Upvote 0

screaming_spool

Apr 26, 2005
    Cedros
    Name
    fisherman
    Boat
    What
    Nice! That’s a great day of family fishing. Winter time bass fishing can be awesome in same area . Lead head and squid

Upvote 0