JK155

Almost A Member
  • Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    First time lobster hooping, first time driving at night so no idea what we were doing. Launched from DP at 445, water temp 62, clear visibility, swells mild, mild wind, high tide predicted 830 pm, new moon.

About 2 miles from harbor entrance, set hoops in 40 feet, 1 hour soak, zip. Moved set closer to the pipe and we got our first lobster. Short and released. Son and I had a hoot looking at it and he had fun releasing it - all 0.5 seconds of it. We didn't get skunked so I considered that a success for an elementary student and fat dad and called it a night at 8pm.

Hadn't used the cabin lights in boat before - stressed they didn't work but smacking the switch like Fonzie did the trick. Also read somewhere to bring a towel to cover up electronics if needed due to lights messing up vision. Surprised how much of a difference that made. Helped me avoid the commercial buoys in the water. Lastly, I think I saw a couple of smaller vessels with hand tillers on the water with no lights, that stressed me out more than anything else.

All in all great night.

lobster.jpg

Oc gabe

Eat the collars!
    Aug 23, 2014
    Dana Point
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat Name
    Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
    First time lobster hooping, first time driving at night so no idea what we were doing. Launched from DP at 445, water temp 62, clear visibility, swells mild, mild wind, high tide predicted 830 pm, new moon.

About 2 miles from harbor entrance, set hoops in 40 feet, 1 hour soak, zip. Moved set closer to the pipe and we got our first lobster. Short and released. Son and I had a hoot looking at it and he had fun releasing it - all 0.5 seconds of it. We didn't get skunked so I considered that a success for an elementary student and fat dad and called it a night at 8pm.

Hadn't used the cabin lights in boat before - stressed they didn't work but smacking the switch like Fonzie did the trick. Also read somewhere to bring a towel to cover up electronics if needed due to lights messing up vision. Surprised how much of a difference that made. Helped me avoid the commercial buoys in the water. Lastly, I think I saw a couple of smaller vessels with hand tillers on the water with no lights, that stressed me out more than anything else.

All in all great night.

View attachment 1338583
    Thank you for the report. I went out Wednesday night for a skunk. I was surprised as last year was epic for me out of Dana. Just one tiny rock crab? These king tides might be too much water moving for them?

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat Name
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Looks like it was just barely short, as usual. If you are hooping anywhere near the commercial guys, you have a tough road. Down here in SD, the bays are hooping only, no commercial. The difference is huge. We cannot compete with them, long soaks, long hours, many traps, (generally) superior knowledge of reading the bottom/ocean. If you can find areas they have not worked, chances are you will do better IMO. Still fun! You will improve the more you do it too! Good luck!

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

stripermaster

• Jun 1, 2015
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Parker 2520
    I think OC Gabe is on to something.
    We launched out of San Diego a few nights ago and it was really slow for us just a few bugs.
    The strong current pushed our traps around and off their spots I think I'm gonna wait for the tides to calm down and try it again.

Thanks for the report and keep taking the little one with you !

Reactions: C-4 Fishing
    Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2018
    Capo Beach
    Name
    ⚓
    Boat Name
    Row boat
    I throw 🦞 nets at Dana sometimes. I get many limits there. This year has been OUTSTANDING. Big bugs and lots of em. I'll letcha know how I git em in the boat. Starting with bait, any fresh caught fish is good bait/ I like using mullet, blue perch, and mac's. When filling the bait cage I slice open the fish bellies so the guts hang out/ seems they like blood n guts. If I want a quick cheap bait fix I go to Smart n Final and buy a spread of chicken for $5 / they will pick at chicken thighs all night. It's best to get out there in the light hours. Then you can see what's going on in the water and set your nets outside their front doors. I like fishing the shallow water rocks at capo beach. I'll start in less than 10' of water if waves permit me. I'll git right in the rocks n drop em right around the edges. Soak em till dark. I pull up 10 plus lobsters in 1 net sometimes and alot of eels. If my first set was good I'll repeat the line if slow I will scoot out my line in deeper waters progressively with each set, covering alot of area. Also bugs like to crawl during storms and when waters are turbulent. I think there is less risk of predators as well as more food to scavenge. Moons will play a big factor on your catch. One more thing I don't fish nets by the jetty. I talk to people that fish lobsters there and it seems they git alot of shorts and a legal bug every so often. Hope this helps next time. Have fun.

Upvote 0

JK155

Almost A Member
  • Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    I throw 🦞 nets at Dana sometimes. I get many limits there. This year has been OUTSTANDING. Big bugs and lots of em. I'll letcha know how I git em in the boat. Starting with bait, any fresh caught fish is good bait/ I like using mullet, blue perch, and mac's. When filling the bait cage I slice open the fish bellies so the guts hang out/ seems they like blood n guts. If I want a quick cheap bait fix I go to Smart n Final and buy a spread of chicken for $5 / they will pick at chicken thighs all night. It's best to get out there in the light hours. Then you can see what's going on in the water and set your nets outside their front doors. I like fishing the shallow water rocks at capo beach. I'll start in less than 10' of water if waves permit me. I'll git right in the rocks n drop em right around the edges. Soak em till dark. I pull up 10 plus lobsters in 1 net sometimes and alot of eels. If my first set was good I'll repeat the line if slow I will scoot out my line in deeper waters progressively with each set, covering alot of area. Also bugs like to crawl during storms and when waters are turbulent. I think there is less risk of predators as well as more food to scavenge. Moons will play a big factor on your catch. One more thing I don't fish nets by the jetty. I talk to people that fish lobsters there and it seems they git alot of shorts and a legal bug every so often. Hope this helps next time. Have fun.
    Wow. Thanks for the tips. I went out this last weekend to fish out of DP to make bait and see where the commercial buoys were. Didn't see any buoys super shallow so was planning to put my set in the shallow area near Poche. I'll report back this weekend.

Thanks again for the tips sir. I don't know if I'm brave enough to get in 10 foot water but shallow seems to be the area that is still accessible for recreational hoopers.

Thor Lars Laizans
    Thor Lars Laizans
    That's a great spot. Coming from the harbor right before you get to poche look up at the houses on the cliff and you will see one with pine trees all around it. There are good holes if you are right out in front of that house.
    Reactions: JK155
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

JK155

Almost A Member
  • Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    12/11
    Had a late start - barely was able to get out before the holiday boat parade started.
    Hit depths of 20 feet around Poche Beach, mackerel and sardines, hour soak - 8 lobsters in one hoop, got 2 more. 10 total, 2 keepers. Thanks @Thor Lars Laizans for the great tips. Low tide was 9:30pm, it was a quarter moon tonight. Almost flat water and minimal wind.
    Happy holidays folks.

IMG_6866.jpg

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat Name
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Nice catch I think you're on to something hope you marked the spot you caught them on and expand your search from there.

Thanks for the report

Upvote 0