12/27 SoCal Distress Calls?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by E1 Toro, Dec 28, 2018.

1. E1 Toro

E1 Toro El Toro

Name:
    El Toro
    Boat:
    Striper 2100 WA, 150HO E-Tec G2
    There were two maritime distress calls in the southern California Coast Guard District yesterday. Does anyone know how I can get details on those distress calls?

Yesterday afternoon I took the brother-in-law and his wife out for a harbor cruise in Newport Harbor. About 4 p.m. the Coast Guard issued a small craft advisory for high seas and heavy winds. We decided to slip out of the mouth of the harbor and take a look. Pretty bad so we quickly scooted back in. About 45 minutes later a distress call came in for a sinking. I looked to the GPS coordinates but couldn't determine how far away they were. About an hour and a half later a second distress call came in for a collision, but then again the GPS coordinates seemed pretty far away.

Neither incident must have been very close, as the OC sheriff boats were just hanging out in the harbor and didn't go anywhere. Same with the Coast Guard Cutter there in Newport. Tied up and shipshape.

2. djam

djam Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 (Terabite)
    Does anyone know if the CG posts their call logs? Some law enforcement agencies post a 'blotter', just curious.

3. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Member

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    This is why all mariners should have a printed map of areas they fish or travel in...Electronic chartplotters have their limits and break down..With a radio gps callout, you can quickly determine if you can assist in a timely manner...As far as Coast Guard info, I have found the Coast Guard information officer to be of limited value in my followup inquiries about incidents....:(