12-24-12 Last Minute shopping...

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
So last week asked Nerlie what she wanted for Christmas (yes I know late); she never really told me (which is typical) but she did say she had Christmas eve off... BINGO. I can take that day off as a vacation day.

Got up around 3:45, had some additional things to do on the boat since Robert and I left some things Saturday afternoon. Pushed off around 5:30 tried for Akule for 15 minutes (loose money), then went to the buoy, which was loaded w/ nice sized Opelus. Live well is a full and some just on ice to grind later. NOTE: On the way back in, in the afternoon, there was already a hoop netter at the buoy, bye-bye Opelu.

Crossed the 1000 around 7ish, at about 14 miles thought I saw a splash (or maybe a boat) off on the horizon, maybe 20 minutes later same thing but another 30 degrees North of the previous sign, maybe 10 minutes later Nerlie yells from down below "I see some porpoise" shouldn't surprise anyone she found 'em.

Make a pass thru some, but nothing happening, Nerlie says "hey there are birds further out" turn around and I see some birds working some small akus, I don't want to loose the porpoise so I am perplexed. She then says "there are bigger splashes behind them" sure enough more porpoise maybe another 3/4 mile out.

Get in them and just turning to Stbd when the rigger and the center goes, center comes off riggers stays stuck. Nerlie looks after the driving part I get the back deck set up and get the fish to the boat. It's a small one, perfect to easily manage from boating, gutting, transferring and cutting perspective.
ahi122412 001.jpg

Nerlie is SO HOOKED I am so lucky!!!
ahi122412 004.jpg

JSI on center, Shiroma on rigger, the Tsutomu had fresh teeth marks from Saturday, guess we (Robert and I) had another bite but never knew it.
ahi122412 008.jpg

Aloha
Pat

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Nice catch! Both on the Ahi, but most of all on your wifey who loves to fish!

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Wow Pat what a year! Bet around now a lot of captains might want to borrow Nerlie- heh-heh! I can't grumble my wife loves to go too. Except they stay in the cabin with the portable DVD player and watch movies until we hook up.
Hope next year is another great one for you!

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Wow Pat what a year! Bet around now a lot of captains might want to borrow Nerlie- heh-heh! I can't grumble my wife loves to go too. Except they stay in the cabin with the portable DVD player and watch movies until we hook up.

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Pat and Nerlie, Merry Christmas and congrats on the nice ahi! What a pre-Christmas present! Good going on some great sash!

Morris Lures

Pirate
Feb 17, 2010
Mililani, Hawaii
Name
Nick
Boat
FORCE 21
Good going Pat. You been killing the Ahi this year.

If you want to catch ahi you got to start following Pat lol.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Great report! Congrats. Christmas Eve!
Thanks John.

Now that's how you celebrate the holidays. Good job
Thanks Brian, you are correct.

Nice catch! Both on the Ahi, but most of all on your wifey who loves to fish!
Thanks Jason, Not sure why I am so lucky.

Thanks Steven, its great your wife goes with you.

Nice catch!
Thanks Eric.

Pat and Nerlie, the perfect present for both of you. Congrats.
Thanks Darren, now that the GoPro is 1 year old; maybe I'll turn it on.

Pat and Nerlie, Merry Christmas and congrats on the nice ahi! What a pre-Christmas present! Good going on some great sash!
Thanks Jimmy, the sashimi was/is outstanding.

Way to go with the Christmas present!

Tight lines,
Thanks Eric.

Good going Pat. You been killing the Ahi this year.

If you want to catch ahi you got to start following Pat lol.
Thanks Nick.

Good going on all your ahi's for 2012.
What a year for you. Bottom line is you putting in the time.
Congrats.
Thanks Dave, definitely have put in some hours this year.

Nice catch again Pat!
Thanks Dean.

Aloha
Pat

da reel man

Jan 22, 2008
hawaii
Name
cuz
Boat
21 alii kai
good going pat you been on a roll for quite sometime now keep it up. looks like an original j.s.i. one of the first ones. congrats my friend

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
good going pat you been on a roll for quite sometime now keep it up. looks like an original j.s.i. one of the first ones. congrats my friend
Thanks Robert, interesting story about that whole process of getting that (JSI) back in the spread. I had been running a very favorite lure on the center for a long time w/ hardly any action this whole year. When the Shiroma started to get bit, I looked thru the lure locker and saw the JSI and said; "that looks similar to the shiroma".

So I retired the favorite for now (going to reskirt it soon) and started running the JSI on the center, almost immediately it started to get bit, so it has found a semi-permanent home, until such time that it quits working.

Hope your Christmas was good and wishing you a Happy New Year!!!

Aloha
Pat

poidog

lurker
Jun 5, 2012
BI
Name
poidog
Boat
18'
Hey Pat, nice fish. I have a question for you... It seems the sentiment toward opelu netters is negative on oahu.. I only ask because here where I live netting is a family tradition passed down from each generation..there are certain "rules" we follow such as areas to fish, types of palu, seasons to harvest or season to strictly feed and "raise" the koa,etc.. but it doesn't seem that way on Oahu.. For one I never seen or heard of a netter at a buoy..ever. I hate to open a can of worms but I'm just curious... Aloha and happy holidays.

Fish Whisperer

Jeordie
Jul 24, 2008
Pearl Harbor
Name
ABOUT TIME
Boat
33 Tiara
Another nice fish Pat! You are certainly on a great roll!
Thanks for the photos too. Love your boat. I had her sister, called Witchy Woman, for a few years, now I'm back in the islands for good and managed to hook up with 3/4 time.
On my way out now to see if I can find the New Year Ahi. Tight Lines!
Jeordie

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Hey Pat, nice fish. I have a question for you... It seems the sentiment toward opelu netters is negative on oahu.. I only ask because here where I live netting is a family tradition passed down from each generation..there are certain "rules" we follow such as areas to fish, types of palu, seasons to harvest or season to strictly feed and "raise" the koa,etc.. but it doesn't seem that way on Oahu.. For one I never seen or heard of a netter at a buoy..ever. I hate to open a can of worms but I'm just curious... Aloha and happy holidays.
Thanks, as far as your question about Opelu netters: DISCLAIMER: These are my thoughts and my thoughts only... First off its hard to compare the BI to Oahu especially when you look at the water area to population, not saying you are just qualifying that. Not all of us (it's easier to come up with solutions if you consider yourself part of the problem) understand conservation ultimately leading to sustainability. I do believe some of us are pretty indiscriminate when it comes to taking of fish/sea life.

Specific to Opelus; I've noticed a significant reduction of buoy Opelus over the years and most times when the Opelus are at the buoys the hoop netters are not far behind. I would be very surprised if the buoy has any Opelus left, compared to last Monday morning when they were very prevelant. You can still find Opelus up on the ledge but I got spoiled years ago when you could run to the buoy and grab a few for the live well almost everytime you went. Now it is the exception if the buoy is holding.

I realize everyone has to make a living in some form or fashion; but sustainability has to be part of the equation.

Another nice fish Pat! You are certainly on a great roll!
Thanks for the photos too. Love your boat. I had her sister, called Witchy Woman, for a few years, now I'm back in the islands for good and managed to hook up with 3/4 time.
On my way out now to see if I can find the New Year Ahi. Tight Lines!
Jeordie
Thanks Jeordie, good luck today, may you load them up...

Cheers
Pat

poidog

lurker
Jun 5, 2012
BI
Name
poidog
Boat
18'
thanks pat. Youre right about comparing BI to oahu fisheries; not trying to point any fingers or anything like that, but was just trying to get an understanding of it, more or less. i was just kind of thrown off by a netter at a buoy as opelu is something Ive done since i could walk. Like you, i also remember the "good ole days" when everything was easier. your last two lines say it all. i think MOST fishermen feel the same way. Cant pound an area and expect to go back tomorrow and do the same..Thanks for putting your opinion out there