fishnfool2

Chapo
May 18, 2010
IE menifee ca
Name
chapo
Boat
Hydra sport / Tomahawk Sportfishing
Me and a buddy took his boat out for the first time. We left Mission Bay around 6 with a nice half scoop of bait and some squid strips. shot over to La Jolla and did some bottom fishing got some White Fish couple rockfish and then put some Trolling Feathers out caught a few Bonita no sign of Yellowtail headed back in around 1 o'clock stop around OB for a quick drift for halibut Drop some deans on the dropper Loop and my buddy hooked a yellowtail probably 13 to 15 lb he got it up to the boat but I had a had a hard time getting the Gaff out of the gaff holder. so I decided to grab the line to swing it in and snap he was gone bounced off the gunnel and swam away . I feel so damn bad so now I need to take him back out and redeem myself. All and all good day

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
. . . and my buddy hooked a yellowtail probably 13 to 15 lb he got it up to the boat but I had a had a hard time getting the Gaff out of the gaff holder. so I decided to grab the line to swing it in and snap he was gone bounced off the gunnel and swam away .
Got to be relaxed. You can pluck them out of the water if need be.

https://videopress.com/v/8l5co42U

Last edited:

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
If I had 1$ For every swing and a miss! I’m haunted by several missed gaffs this Summer especially. The horror.

muletrain

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
Try the tail grab next time.... usually better results.

I agree 100%. The tail grab works great. Just wait for it to get tired and will lay nice and quiet. Don’t be in a rush. Great way to release without harming the fish. I have released many yellowtail thus way

Thanks for sharing