12/1/19 WO YT Bite on pattys

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Went out in search of some giant BF we where given some #s on but didn't find them. Launched from the slip at 5:30 got the greatest scoop of bait I've ever been given! (There were 8 macks Included) Drove out to the 182 then turned SW till we got to the knoll. Lots of life. (And the conditions were perfect) Deep marks but no biters.. but on to the bright side of things; it at least wasn't a complete boat ride. We found a WFO YT bite at south 9 on HUGE pattys brought up by the storm we fished a patty today that was the size of a house and had a school of 8-15lb YT under it. After we limited the 3 of us played catch and release for another hour/or two. We kept moving south but kept running into HUGE pattys full of YT. No tuna today tho but a great day on the water fun fishing saw some really nice grade YT on some of the pattys but it was almost impossible to get past the 8-10lbrs. That water was 66-67 degrees at the knoll and 66.5 south 9 and the pattys were EVERYWHERE. When the fishing slowed we just scooted or drifted to the next one just to find more YT. Good luck to anyone going out the next few. I'll hopefully be out there too.... struggling away at finding them tuna! Cheers I hope this helps at least 1 person!. Tried calling out our location but there was nobody around to hear the call I guess. Then we finished up the day grabbing some reds off north island.

IMG_4276.PNG

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Was itching for a report... hopefully the next bit a weather doesn’t turn it up to bad.....

Billy L

USCG licensed Captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’, 15’ Whalers
Went out in search of some giant BF we where given some #s on but didn't find them. Launched from the slip at 5:30 got the greatest scoop of bait I've ever been given! (There were 8 macks Included) Drove out to the 182 then turned SW till we got to the knoll. Lots of life. (And the conditions were perfect) Deep marks but no biters.. but on to the bright side of things; it at least wasn't a complete boat ride. We found a WFO YT bite at south 9 on HUGE pattys brought up by the storm we fished a patty today that was the size of a house and had a school of 8-15lb YT under it. After we limited the 3 of us played catch and release for another hour/or two. We kept moving south but kept running into HUGE pattys full of YT. No tuna today tho but a great day on the water fun fishing saw some really nice grade YT on some of the pattys but it was almost impossible to get past the 8-10lbrs. That water was 66-67 degrees at the knoll and 66.5 south 9 and the pattys were EVERYWHERE. When the fishing slowed we just scooted or drifted to the next one just to find more YT. Good luck to anyone going out the next few. I'll hopefully be out there too.... struggling away at finding them tuna! Cheers I hope this helps at least 1 person!. Tried calling out our location but there was nobody around to hear the call I guess. Then we finished up the day grabbing some reds off north island.

View attachment 1094674
We found a patty a couple of weeks ago right past the 9 in US water and hooked more than 50 YT. So I understand the fun you had. Though it was a smaller patty with smaller fish.
How big were your reds, any sizes to them?

Tanner Clark

Jul 27, 2019
San Diego
Name
Tanner Clark
Boat
Thresher 22 cc
Had the same bit of fun yesterday, looked for tuna, saw some just didn’t want to play. Ran back to the canyon for wide open yellowtail, kept the biggest ones. I think the fat lady was singing though.

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
8-15 lb...
To be honest we saw every size YT from rats that couldn't eat our deans to thoes jumbo size YT. They were all there. We were tucked up in a mass of pattys that were literally uncountable. That photo was my largest one of harvest.
We found a patty a couple of weeks ago right past the 9 in US water and hooked more than 50 YT. So I understand the fun you had. Though it was a smaller patty with smaller fish.
How big were your reds, any sizes to them?
standard issue island reds. No standouts

Tanner Clark

Jul 27, 2019
San Diego
Name
Tanner Clark
Boat
Thresher 22 cc
To be honest we saw every size YT from rats that couldn't eat our deans to thoes jumbo size YT. They were all there. We were tucked up in a mass of pattys that were literally uncountable. That photo was my largest one of harvest.

standard issue island reds. No standouts
Agreed, same here. Saw some really big jumbos in the mix around the canyon just couldn't get past those feisty rats. More jumbos less rats by the knoll, 4 out of 5 paddys holding.

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Agreed, same here. Saw some really big jumbos in the mix around the canyon just couldn't get past those feisty rats. More jumbos less rats by the knoll, 4 out of 5 paddys holding.
The knoll seemed hit pretty well. But the water was perfect. The class of YT in the photos were found in between pattys. The screen the entire time was a glorious sight to look at when you could. it was like fishing in a YT aquarium. So many pattys in the canyon right now. I hope to read someone's adventures out there today.

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Very fun. Congrats thanks for intel. We went to desperation area. 3 hits on flyers had one jumbo to color only to pull the hook. We ran out of flyers. Fished some numbers. By island for some rock fish only so so. But did get a huge cow cod. We carefully used decompression rig sent back to 300 foot home. Was very cool to see. Think it lived. But never know. Good luck.

Tuna Vic

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Those are the kinda days that make all the hunting worth it!