$11,500 obo - 2005 Key West 186 Bay Reef - Hull and Trailer w/ Blown 2015 Suzuki DF140

Big Bay Yachts

FishBreath

Dec 19, 2004
Fullerton,CA
Name
Todd
Boat
Key West 186 BR
I love this thing. Its fast, fuel efficient, beamy (8'), and has a ton of fishing space. It does everything from bay bass to paddy hopping to hooping and we can be scrubbed down and cleaned up in 30 minutes (counting motor flush).

The Good:

Hull is 2005 with 8' beam and 19 deg deadrise
Hull is fiberglass with composite and foam coring NO WOOD TO ROT!
60 gallon plastic fuel tank, more range than you need.
40 gallon built in livewell has been modified and holds bait really well.
Anodized Aluminum T top with lots of rod holders
Furuno Radar
Garmin 10 inch 2010 Chart plotter
Raymarine Dragon Fly with Navionics Chart, Chirp color fishfinder, and down vision
Throttle controls are just a few years old
Saltwater Washdown
3 bank charger with AC outlet for charging
Starting Battery + (2) 6v golf cart batt house bank
Starting batt and house bank are isolated
Aluminum Trailer with torsion axle and rubber bunks
Have the stock flip flop cooler helm seat (not pictured) but included in sale
Lots of new stuff like hatches, pulls, hardware, deck lights, etc
Claw Anchor with extra rode
Seastar hydraulic steering (small leak from cylinder)
**Boat is currently in Norwalk at mechanic but lives in the dry boat storage yard in Cabrillo Way Marina in San Pedro. I'd be happy to let new buyer takeover my rental there IF the marina is ok with it. It's amazing and makes trailer boating way more enjoyable since they launch and retrieve for you.

The Bad:

The boat has been dialed in all year and I brought it in for annual service (like I always do) and to check what seemed like a fuel pump issue from the last trip and a leak from my hyrdraulic steering ram. Unfortunately, instead of a quick maintenance visit, I got horrible news. They found water in the engine oil so now my 2015 Suzuki DF140a needs major work in year #6. Not stoked. Its still under Suzuki extended service protection but they won't cover it. (See: Not stoked).

Would repower myself but it was going to go up for sale anyway soon (have another rig under contract), this just expedites things. This sale would include parts from old motor (perfectly good lower unit and cowling) and power head is on bench and could be rebuilt but probably best replaced. The only other issue is the Seastar hydraulic steering has a drip so cylinder needs to be resealed.

Other than having no power :D, this isn't a project boat. I'd been regularly fishing and hooping with it up until this point.

$11,500 obo
Text Todd @ 714 686 6946

20191003_163704.jpg

20191003_163522.jpg
20191003_163449.jpg
20191003_163633.jpg
20191003_163443.jpg
20191003_163426.jpg
20191003_163732.jpg
20190720_175825.jpg
20160913_165234.jpg

**pic of stern was from years back before I added additional t top rod holders.

Screenshot_20200819-205231_Gallery.jpg
20201003_143002.jpg
Screenshot_20201018-230406_Gallery.jpg

Lots of "firsts' on this rig. 8-)

Cool video of manufacturer trying to sink these hulls and basic construction

Last edited:
Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

FishBreath

Dec 19, 2004
Fullerton,CA
Name
Todd
Boat
Key West 186 BR
@Hustler

No problem. The extended protection plan is really not a warranty even though its sort of advertised that way. Either way, it doesn't cover "corrosion". The third party they farm this plan out to says since there is corrosion present, then "corrosion is the cause" unless I can demonstrate otherwise. Burden of proof seems awful convenient but what do you do except get pissed or pay an attorney more money than the engine is worth.

Mechanic is certified Suzuki tech and tried the best he could to explain to them that this is not normal corrosion from neglect. The cooling jackets are relatively clean, zincs are good, no major overheats, head gasket has no indication of failure, and yet the exhaust is pitted and crumbling. The only warning light I had was recently for a fuel sensor and this is what I wanted fixed during this service.

I wrote a few letters explaining that I flush this thing every trip, store it on land, and go out of my way to bring it in for all scheduled service with a factory authorized facility. They don't care, unless I can point to a broken internal part, they aren't doing squat. I talked to Suzuki and they could also care less. No interest in investigating the cause, not even just for the sake of engineering and curiosity. Just nope, not our problem, take up your concerns with Cornerstone (third party). Suzuki's have had corrosion issues but mostly it was with the engine holder that is pretty notorious. Just lucky I guess.

Upvote 0

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
Key West makes a solid boat both fit and finish. Mine has served me well. I havn't had any problems with my Yamaha either.

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
@Hustler

No problem. The extended protection plan is really not a warranty even though its sort of advertised that way. Either way, it doesn't cover "corrosion". The third party they farm this plan out to says since there is corrosion present, then "corrosion is the cause" unless I can demonstrate otherwise. Burden of proof seems awful convenient but what do you do except get pissed or pay an attorney more money than the engine is worth.

Mechanic is certified Suzuki tech and tried the best he could to explain to them that this is not normal corrosion from neglect. The cooling jackets are relatively clean, zincs are good, no major overheats, head gasket has no indication of failure, and yet the exhaust is pitted and crumbling. The only warning light I had was recently for a fuel sensor and this is what I wanted fixed during this service.

I wrote a few letters explaining that I flush this thing every trip, store it on land, and go out of my way to bring it in for all scheduled service with a factory authorized facility. They don't care, unless I can point to a broken internal part, they aren't doing squat. I talked to Suzuki and they could also care less. No interest in investigating the cause, not even just for the sake of engineering and curiosity. Just nope, not our problem, take up your concerns with Cornerstone (third party). Suzuki's have had corrosion issues but mostly it was with the engine holder that is pretty notorious. Just lucky I guess.

Well that sucks!

Upvote 0