Start Me Up Sportfishing

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Apologies for not having posted any reports in ages, not sure why, though I certainly see a trend of less reports. Hope we can change that...
Let's get caught up, at least a little bit.

09-14-14 The Captain and I found some debris, the Captain caught us some mahis, she had a blast, its her first time with debris holding fish.
DSCF0658.JPG

DSCF0671.JPG

10-02-14
David was on his way back from a business trip and had time enough to get out on the water, had 5 bites, all marlin, ended up with one about 170.
DSCF0675.JPG

11-30-14 from Happy, to sad to happy again.
Mike, Rudy and I left early got some akules and then tried for some bait at the buoy, bait stealing porpoise there, yuk. Set up and trolled, followed the sloppy water from Kaena back towards the middle, then followed the sloppy water blowing out of Waianae Valley. Off in the distance, see what looks like could be the right stuff, "Mike, take the wheel, get a course heading, you'll see what I'm looking at, gonna change out some lures". Swapped out some non-ahi lures for the more traditional heavy straight runnin ones. Get back in the tower and Mike has them (porpoise) in his sights. After at least a half hour maybe even more we finally catch up to them... HAPPY! It takes some time and with the sloppy water it is tough to keep an eye on them. See a big group of them all heading one direction, make a pass in front of them, and say "this is a really good pass" look back and see swirl on the center and it goes and comes off, next the port flat goes and comes off, while Mike is getting the center to set back up the stbd flat goes and comes of, then the stbd corner goes and stays on, or so we think. Eventually he comes off also... REALLY SAD WTF?
OK regain our composure, a couple boats had seen us maneuvering and head our way, this is both good and bad; good because more eyes, better chance of not loosing them (in the sloppy water), bad because more pressure and not as many chances. Mike and I back up in the tower, Mike is looking back in the spread and says WOW!!! one on the flat center (something to that affect, maybe an F word throwin in there as well), he missed the center but came back and grabbed the port flat, yee-effin-ha!!! Mike feel free to add some color if you like. Off to the races, get the deck set up, Rudy is geared up and working on the fish, about 15-20 minutes in Rudy says "hey I am concerned about loosing this fish, I'm getting tired and over heated" (admirable of him admit this). Mike finishes him off, Pat leaders, Mike sinks the gaff and pull him thru the door. REALLY EFFIN HAPPY!
DSCF0689.JPG

DSCF0691.JPG

We looked for them for quite awhile but never found them again, did see Magic got 3, he was there. Tried some akules at S but no takers, got in about 3, very happy with the day, the crew and the Kai'Nana!!!

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fishintuition

Almost A Member
Dec 16, 2010
Honolulu, HI USA
Name
Mike
Boat
the transom
I have to say....that is the most pc account of that last bite that I ever could have imagined...You made me sound like a real gentleman!!

For the readers at home, there were about 15 f-bombs dropped in the 3 seconds it took for the fish to swing back through the spread and grab the flat line.

Awesome trip Pat....thank you for the hospitality.

Upvote 0

Unique06

Almost A Member
May 1, 2011
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Travis
Boat
Alii Kai 21'
Sick Report Pat!! Nice goin on the catches. That might have been some of the motivation some of us needed!! Shootz. Aloha.

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Awesome report Pat.

Congrats to you and crew on the catches.

Jesse
Thanks Jesse, Sunday was a good day.
4th 5th 6th time is charm good going
Thanks Mike, one of those had to stick eventually.
Nice one. How much did it weigh? Definitely looks like a good one, especially for November!
Thanks Kalani, gutted and gilled 165#'s.
Great reports Pat. Thanks for the updates.
Thanks Mike.
Way to go Pat, glad to hear you guys hooked up and got one to stick!
Thanks Jeff, after 4 misses I was quite perplexed.
I have to say....that is the most pc account of that last bite that I ever could have imagined...You made me sound like a real gentleman!!

For the readers at home, there were about 15 f-bombs dropped in the 3 seconds it took for the fish to swing back through the spread and grab the flat line.

Awesome trip Pat....thank you for the hospitality.
Thanks Mike.
Sick Report Pat!! Nice goin on the catches. That might have been some of the motivation some of us needed!! Shootz. Aloha.
Thanks Travis, that would be great if a bunch of fish hung around for the holidays.
Awesome report, good going on another fat tuna!
Thanks Brian, haven't seen you in a long time.
Sounds like a good time, congrats
Thanks Luke, it was a good time.

From right to left, all were bit.
Shiroma on the center rigger
knock off Tady from Butch, stbd flat
POP 2 holed jet center flat
JSI stbd corner
original Tady port flat (had 2 bites) got the fish.
IMG_0053.JPG

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: changboy
Upvote 0

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Way to Pat and crew looks like the Kai Nana is still doing it. Too bad the Captain missed out on the action. Thanks for sharing the lures, looks like your usual killers. A good start to the holiday season.

Upvote 0

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Pat and Crew,
Congrats on the nice catches! Even when Waianae appears to be slow/dead you somehow always seem to know how to squeak some fish out of the waters! Fish whisperer for sure! Happy Holidays!

Upvote 0

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
Pat you Da man you always share your lure combo! Maybe that's why good karma always follows you! Mahalo's

Upvote 0

808hazmat

May 17, 2012
Kaneohe/ HI
Name
sean
Boat
Therapy-24' Skipjack Project
Awesome effort. Usually better to be lucky than good, but you got the perseverance!

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good job Pat!
Thank you sir, might need to look you up this winter.
Way to Pat and crew looks like the Kai Nana is still doing it. Too bad the Captain missed out on the action. Thanks for sharing the lures, looks like your usual killers. A good start to the holiday season.
Thanks Steven, pretty much the regular stuff behind the boat.
Pat and Crew,
Congrats on the nice catches! Even when Waianae appears to be slow/dead you somehow always seem to know how to squeak some fish out of the waters! Fish whisperer for sure! Happy Holidays!
Thanks Russell, 3 of the last 4 trips we had either found the porpoise and got in them after others had found them, only one bite and never stuck. Happy Holidays to you as well.
Pat you Da man you always share your lure combo! Maybe that's why good karma always follows you! Mahalo's
Thanks Brian, I am partial to keel weighted straight runners when in the Puka Heads, and very heavy sucked up against the transom, all the heavy jets in the prop wash had fish come up on them.
Awesome effort. Usually better to be lucky than good, but you got the perseverance!
Thanks Sean, we'll stay in the porpoise all day if we are lucky enough to find them.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: grander007
Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
go TEAM BLACKFIN......... nice lure spread, but my $0.02 consider a purple soft head as a permanent feature in the pattern - maybe on the long corner?

cheers & tight lines,

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Wow, that's a nice sized fish any day of the year! Do you run any birds in the spread, daisy chains?
Thanks Kalani, I do not, have both just don't run 'em.
go TEAM BLACKFIN......... nice lure spread, but my $0.02 consider a purple soft head as a permanent feature in the pattern - maybe on the long corner?

cheers & tight lines,
Thanks Eric,
That's funny as you know I am a purple softhead fan as well, that's one of the lures I changed out when I first saw the porpoise. The lure that was put in its place (JSI stbd corner) did have a fish on it for awhile.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2011
Greenbank/WA/USA
Name
David
Boat
Silver Streak 26 Swiftsure
Pat,
Congratulations to you, Nerlie, your crew and the Kai Nana. Great times on the water and good people to enjoy it with. You work very hard to keep an organized operation and it pays off. Looking forward to our next adventure. I will arrive Oahu on 12/26 and depart on 1/7/15. Hope you and Nerlie have a happy holiday season. Speak to you soon.

Upvote 0

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Which mold craft do you guys run? Wide range? Never ran them, but have heard good things about them. Is it a all around lure? Everything nail it in other words? Mahalo for sharing the knowledge. Aloha

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good going, Pat and crew! Nice catch!
Thanks Jimmy.
Nice job Pat, it's good to see that you're still slaying the fish.
Thanks SMU team.
Pat,
Congratulations to you, Nerlie, your crew and the Kai Nana. Great times on the water and good people to enjoy it with. You work very hard to keep an organized operation and it pays off. Looking forward to our next adventure. I will arrive Oahu on 12/26 and depart on 1/7/15. Hope you and Nerlie have a happy holiday season. Speak to you soon.
See ya soon David.
Which mold craft do you guys run? Wide range? Never ran them, but have heard good things about them. Is it a all around lure? Everything nail it in other words? Mahalo for sharing the knowledge. Aloha
Kalani,
That's right, the 12" senior wide range in purple/silver over black, it is a versatile lure that gets whacked quite a bit.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0