11/3 Yellowfinned Tuna

rodngun762

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
kinda hard to tell from your picture but does not look like hake to me... the first vertebrae on lower half of hake are very unique and easy to ID...

http://access.afsc.noaa.gov/REEM/SET/VertData.php?NODC=8791040102

next time save it! Hake otoliths are easy to ID as well....

here is a helpful guide to identifying fish otoliths.....

https://swfsc.noaa.gov/uploadedFiles/Divisions/PRD/Programs/Coastal_Marine_Mammal/TM 483 Otolith Photo catalog_with links.pdf
Cool, thanks Oywn @DOS BALLENAS ! Was hoping you would chime in.

So Cal Adventure

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2016
OC
Name
RB
Boat
42 ft Bertram
I left out where I was fishing but I gave important details how I caught.... water temperature, sign, method, lures. The point being to encourage to find your own fish to be able to enjoy what I did today- to fish unmolested for 3 hours. And guess what... when I go back out fishing next week I want the same for myself.

The fact is one can go SW from any harbor in southern california right now and have just as good of chance of catching a yellowfin tuna as I stumbled on today. The fish are from SBI to the 182.

View attachment 801184
Respect OP perogative to not give too much info out, but stating a launch point in a BD "fish report" has never been considered giving away the farm. Fact is, if all BD reports only had fish stories and photos, BD would not have any users left in about 3 months. "Finding your own fish", has never meant finding your own boat launch. Again, I do respect the OP, I just respectfully disagree that on a given day, each launch point offers the same chance of success simply because the water temps work. -My 2 cents.

-Congrats on a great trip, I enjoyed the read. Did you say you tied 20lb tippet to an 8lb backing..?

Reactions: kevina

rodngun762

Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
Respect OP perogative to not give too much info out, but stating a launch point in a BD "fish report" has never been considered giving away the farm. Fact is, if all BD reports only had fish stories and photos, BD would not have any users left in about 3 months. "Finding your own fish", has never meant finding your own boat launch. Again, I do respect the OP, I just respectfully disagree that on a given day, each launch point offers the same chance of success simply because the water temps work. -My 2 cents.

-Congrats on a great trip, I enjoyed the read. Did you say you tied 20lb tippet to an 8lb backing..?
Ok, fine, I left from Newport Beach, California.

Yeah, 20lb flouro to Ande IGFA 8lb which tested at 6.8lbs.

I tried 4lb p-line today but lost all three fish I hooked on it.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport

Cut him some slack,, HE'S A 50 TON CAPTAIN,, LOL

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
love these secret reports....get over yourself.....

Woodeneye

Well-Known "Member"
May 23, 2007
North Orange County
Name
Chris
Boat
Striper 2300
Sounds good. Meet him in the parking lot at The launch ramp. He'll be in the cream colored fiber glass boat on the trailer at the landing in a Southern California launch ramp one day in the next month. It's all about timing!

Reactions: coleman multhaupt