Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
nov15bugs1.JPG
nov15bugs.JPG
Went hooping locally last night in the Whaler with bro' Dennis. Conditions were great, little wind, strong incoming tide, and surprisingly no sea lions in the spot we fished. Had the hoops in the water right at dark. Bait was frozen sardines and macks kept from fishing trips. First set produced only one but it was a 4 pounder. Tide was slack, then it started moving and we got 4 more on the second set, then 6 on the third. One more set and we were finished with two limits and threw back two more keepers. Great quality tonight with lots of 3 and 4 pounders and only a handful of shorts. Hardly anyone at the ramp when we launched or when we returned? Odd for a Saturday night.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Fissssh1

Jan 26, 2012
Simi Valley,Ca. USA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Bluewave
I hooped the breakwall last weekend, for not anything ,not even a short or even a single crab! Had fresh frozen good bait,6 ambush nets, did 6 separate pulls, up until 10;00 ,Just wondering if you hooped the breakwall , Or ever hooped the breakwall with any success ??

Upvote 0

jaw1970

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Yes, I pulled some out of there. Never any large numbers, just 1-2 per set. Have never got one on the outside of the wall.

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
I hooped the breakwall last weekend, for not anything ,not even a short or even a single crab! Had fresh frozen good bait,6 ambush nets, did 6 separate pulls, up until 10;00 ,Just wondering if you hooped the breakwall , Or ever hooped the breakwall with any success ??
I've never done well at the wall inside or out. I've hooped the wall while divers on our boat caught limits and said it is full of bugs but they don't seem to crawl out into hoops. Just my experience.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
If you fish the wall there are rock reefs you need #s to. Or meter around. If you do fish the wall get really tight look for current pushing thru the wall. This will produce best. Lots of bugs in the wall. Just getting them. Like the other guys say. Divers see it full but they run in the wall deep. The big ones got big by not coming out into hoops !!! Lol good luck.

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
If you fish the wall there are rock reefs you need #s to. Or meter around. If you do fish the wall get really tight look for current pushing thru the wall. This will produce best. Lots of bugs in the wall. Just getting them. Like the other guys say. Divers see it full but they run in the wall deep. The big ones got big by not coming out into hoops !!! Lol good luck.
Agreed. The few I've caught at the wall have been LARGE. By not coming out in numbers, perhaps the wall remains the safe breeding location that supplies the whole harbor with bugs?

Upvote 0

skillett

Almost A Member
Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
Let's go get em Friday...

Upvote 0

Efishnsea

Teaching kids how to fish
Aug 2, 2007
Covina, Ca
Name
Ed Efishnsea
Boat
Boston Whaler 205 Eastport Cuddy cabin, + Dinghy +Kayaks
Agreed. The few I've caught at the wall have been LARGE. By not coming out in numbers, perhaps the wall remains the safe breeding location that supplies the whole harbor with bugs?

Count on it being a safe breeding ground deep inside the breakwater. I have dive friends that dive areas of the breakwater that can enter on 1 side and exit the other side only to see lobsters so thick that it rivals the National Geographic shows about how many bats live in caves. They tell me that they live upside down and sideways inside the deep rocks in the 100's.
Yeah, I think they are safe. Just don't let the "remove the breakwater movement" going on now actually remove the breakwater to obtain better surf--it will kill a huge lobster population.

'my 2 cents

Reactions: titos334
Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Count on it being a safe breeding ground deep inside the breakwater. I have dive friends that dive areas of the breakwater that can enter on 1 side and exit the other side only to see lobsters so thick that it rivals the National Geographic shows about how many bats live in caves. They tell me that they live upside down and sideways inside the deep rocks in the 100's.
Yeah, I think they are safe. Just don't let the "remove the breakwater movement" going on now actually remove the breakwater to obtain better surf--it will kill a huge lobster population.

'my 2 cents
I would hope the billion $ shipping and oil industries protected by the wall would not let it happen, but then again surfers helped stop the 241 Toll Road extension to I-5. Nothing against surfers, just want everyone to have good places to do what they enjoy.

Upvote 0

wildbunch

MOFO
Oct 11, 2008
Analheim
Name
Bill
Boat
23' "Hardcore"
Hi, so I have been out hooping out of Long Beach a few times and have only caught two legals out of the 6 times I have been, anyone have any suggestions on hooping? Not sure what ive been doing wrong... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Go after we get 2 inches of rain when the water looks like chocolate and you will be amazed how WFO catching can be. When we have clean water like now , you will be fishin more than catchin........

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Hi, so I have been out hooping out of Long Beach a few times and have only caught two legals out of the 6 times I have been, anyone have any suggestions on hooping? Not sure what ive been doing wrong... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
You're probably just fishing in areas with no lobster. Study maps, spend time metering around the harbor, there are many good spots not hammered by everyone else.

Reactions: Teddy one eye
Upvote 0