11-27-10 Cabo Report

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by bigFISHINyak, Dec 1, 2010.

1. bigFISHINyak

bigFISHINyak Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    eventually.......
    Got the opportunity to head down with the girlfriend and her family for a Thanksgiving / Birthday trip (girlfriends mothers bday). Flew out of LAX on Thanksgiving day. Got into Cabo safe and sound and relaxed on the beach for a few days. Had plans to go out on Sunday however quickly switched to Saturday due to one in our group leaving on Sunday. Doing this forced us to switch boats. Made reservations with Marisol II and a good switch it turned out to be. Headed out on the water around 6:20 with Juan and George, picked up a few macs and headed out. There were 5 of us and Juan and Geroge for a total of 7. Threw the lines in shortly after picking up bait and before we hit lands end we got a triple. Landed 2 bonita, one got close to the boat and was devoured by a massive sea lion. The bonita was on the surface and the sea lion exploded on the surface crushing the bonita and sending blood flying. Was great to see that type of activity. Kept the lines in the water for a few more bonita after turning up the Pacific ocean side heading North along the shoreline. Absolutely great weather at this point with a small breeze. Started to see some bait fish jumping and a few bonita crashing. Got a few singles (bonita) and then the bite slowed. George was flying around the deck making sure all necessary lines were out and he started gearing up in hopes for some Dorado. The radio activity was very slow on the Dorado bite but we kept on the lookout. Juan told us we were going to continue up the coast and he soon spotted something in the water and told George to put strips of bonita out in the water. He threw 3 lines out with bonita strips and just after he got them out.....zzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Had two fish on and the dorado immediately leaped out of the water. This got all our hearts pumping. Got them to the boat and zzzzzzzzzzzz another reel goes off. Got all three dorado to the boat after the gaff shots by George. Started back up on the troll and we unable to find the school that Juan found. Kept trolling for about an hour or so then all hell broke loose. zzzzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzzzz......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. had a triple hook up at the exact same time and the hooked dorado started jumping quickly. We had all the rods attended and Juan kept throwing other lines out and worked the bonita strips. Juan hooked up with another dorado and handed down the rod from the flybride. We got one to the boat and gaffed.....then another....then Juan threw the line out again and got another hook up. Threw another out and got another hook up. I was very impressed by Juan's fishing techniques on the bridge. He is dedicated to finding the fish for the clients. And his quote "I am just doing my job". This school of fish yielded 6 dorado from 15-25 lbs. George was racing around the deck boating the fish and getting the lines back in the water. We had 9 dorado on board at this point and since the limit is 2 per person we decided we had enough of that action and headed to deeper water for tuna. We trolled around for nada for an hour or so and Juan started spotting marlin all over the place. Juan threaded one of the mac's and let me tell you if you have not seen this done....you really need to. It is truly an artform how they do this so the bait does not get off the hook. He threaded the mac in about 10 seconds as I was watching in amazement. I have never gone marlin fishing so it was pretty interesting to see the technique. Juan quickly did a circle with the boat and got alongside a marlin. He told George to toss the mac in and told him to let line out.....we were able to see the marlin in the distance as the swells rolled in. George had the mac right in front of the marlin and held the rod up as high as he could and danced the mac in the face of the marlin. The marlin was not having it and soon he went deeper. We quickly reeled in the mac and put the lines back out in hopes for tuna. Juan spotted another marlin and we were soon reeling in the trolling lines. Did a short half circle turn in the boat and George through another mac out. He started to dance the mac again...for about 3 minutes....then suddenly it went for the mac.....the marlin crashes the surface and George has it hooked up. My girlfriend's brother Tommy jumps in the seat and begins the battle. A few good leaps out of the water, a few good runs, and 10 minutes later we had a nice marlin to the boat. The marlin was safely released to fight another day. About an hour later we spotted a bunch of boats within about 50 yards of each other chasing after something. Soon friggets (type of bird) were all over the place circling above. Juan decides to join in on the mahem and soon there were about 8 boats all within about 100 square yards of one another.....very dangerous situation in my book but was pretty exhilerating to say the least. There was a marlin in the midst of all these boats and every boat was throwing their macs out in hope they would get lucky. This marlin was able to evade the fleet and soon the friggets and boats scattered. Back on the troll we went with not a single taker. Had the opportunity for one other marlin but did not go. Ended the day with 9 dorado, a bunch of bonita, and one released marlin. Got to throw the flags up and enjoy the gorgeous day on the water with smiles all around. Thanks to Juan and George for putting us on the fish and hopefully on some tuna next time. Ended the trip in Cabo relaxing on the beach, drinking, having a great time, and bartering with the locals.

2. sbsyncro

sbsyncro Newbie

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    "Lori-K" (Parker 2320EC)
    Nice report! Sounds like a great way to spend the Thanksgiving weekend and burn off the turkey (tacos?)! :D

3. Fish4Brains

Fish4Brains Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    "Razorsharp" 25 Bertram FBC
    Great report! What a great place to spend Thanksgiving. Now if I could just figure a way to spend all the days between Thanksgivings in Cabo.................

4. dorado50

dorado50 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    Pretty much sums up a good time in Cabo!!! Got me all excited.....next time u pitch that bait to the marlin!