PENN

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
I'm pretty sure that "practice makes perfect" does not apply to hooping, but I'm figuring that more time on the water can't hurt, plus we have a blast trying. To us, it kind of feels like winning a jackpot in Vegas when you finally hear the beautiful sound of that tail slapping in the hoop when it breaks the surface of the water as you bring it on board. I'm guessing it doesn't quite feel like that to those who have bugs coming in almost every net, but when the ratio can be 1:40, bugs/pulls, we sometimes just stop for high fives and a group hug when seeing a lobster in the net.

After five trips, with a total of 5 bugs, we decided to change it up a bit. We reasoned it couldn't get much worse, and we could always go back to our old approach which consisted predominately of fishing parallel to breakwaters/jetties at varying depths. (Plus we all know the definition of insanity, and I became concerned I was replicating that in my approach to hooping).

So we went out last week in the harbor, and other than one 5 hoop set, we stayed away from the jetties. Two interesting things happened on this trip; first, we caught a lobster in our very first hoop! (on all of our previous trips, the only lobster we would catch came toward the end of the night). Second, during the course of the night we caught 3 shorts. On our previous 5 trips we had never caught a single short. Although we caught a legal to start the night, we still only managed two legals for the trip, but none the less I was encouraged that we had encountered 5 bugs on the trip, and felt there may be something to build on here.

So, last night we decided to give our new strategy another try. We started at the same spot, and almost to defy the odds, we caught another legal on our very first pull. (Two trips in a row we get the Schneid off in one pull.) For the trip we did a lot of prospecting, setting hoops here and there, shotgun approach and managed 3 legals for the trip (a personal best), and one larger bug that was also our personal best. (The smile on my daughters face says it all. She was soooo stoked!)

IMG_3546.jpg

Upvote 0

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
Thanks for report. It takes a while to get dialed in. Keep putting in the time and eventually you will score. Got to enjoy being on the water regardless.

Reactions: Tom123
Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Nice work skipper If one spot dont work keep moving I say, Your daughters face says it all ,The jokes n laughter when hooping are 80% of the fun bugs are a bonus. Ill be out there tomorrow on the hunt for some Thanksgiving bacon wrapped lobster ball appetizers...

rr28.png

rr55.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

pescadorable

Jun 27, 2009
    Orange
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Cabo 216 The Fish Taco
    Nice work skipper If one spot dont work keep moving I say, Your daughters face says it all ,The jokes n laughter when hooping are 80% of the fun bugs are a bonus. Ill be out there tomorrow on the hunt for some Thanksgiving bacon wrapped lobster ball appetizers...

View attachment 1227869

View attachment 1227870
    Nice bug there Todd hopefully I’m back on soon I had surgery yesterday so it won’t be long.

Upvote 0

C-4 Fishing

Feb 4, 2014
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Kayak
    Good going bud.
    I agree that flap, flap, flap as you pull the hoop at of the water is the best sound!!!

Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Nice work and great idea to get away from all the jetties and oil islands - lots of bugs and less pressure - be sure to keep you sounder on and do some figure 8s around those zones - you may/will find some rock piles that are loaded

Upvote 0

muletrain

Sep 9, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Keep exploring, marking spots for future use and take notes. Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    I'm pretty sure that "practice makes perfect" does not apply to hooping, but I'm figuring that more time on the water can't hurt, plus we have a blast trying. To us, it kind of feels like winning a jackpot in Vegas when you finally hear the beautiful sound of that tail slapping in the hoop when it breaks the surface of the water as you bring it on board. I'm guessing it doesn't quite feel like that to those who have bugs coming in almost every net, but when the ratio can be 1:40, bugs/pulls, we sometimes just stop for high fives and a group hug when seeing a lobster in the net.

After five trips, with a total of 5 bugs, we decided to change it up a bit. We reasoned it couldn't get much worse, and we could always go back to our old approach which consisted predominately of fishing parallel to breakwaters/jetties at varying depths. (Plus we all know the definition of insanity, and I became concerned I was replicating that in my approach to hooping).

So we went out last week in the harbor, and other than one 5 hoop set, we stayed away from the jetties. Two interesting things happened on this trip; first, we caught a lobster in our very first hoop! (on all of our previous trips, the only lobster we would catch came toward the end of the night). Second, during the course of the night we caught 3 shorts. On our previous 5 trips we had never caught a single short. Although we caught a legal to start the night, we still only managed two legals for the trip, but none the less I was encouraged that we had encountered 5 bugs on the trip, and felt there may be something to build on here.

So, last night we decided to give our new strategy another try. We started at the same spot, and almost to defy the odds, we caught another legal on our very first pull. (Two trips in a row we get the Schneid off in one pull.) For the trip we did a lot of prospecting, setting hoops here and there, shotgun approach and managed 3 legals for the trip (a personal best), and one larger bug that was also our personal best. (The smile on my daughters face says it all. She was soooo stoked!)

View attachment 1227827

This is exactly why most dont just give out spots when newbies ask for "good lobster spots". So much effort, work, thought, time and money go into increasing odds of being successful.

Keep at it bro!!! Fine job!

Upvote 0