neue

Captain
Sep 17, 2010
Irvine, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Sporties
My son and I fished the area off of Salt Creek (80-140feet deep) on Saturday, where lots of boats are hammering the area for halibut. Last week, Max got two, a 22lber and a 13lber. This weekend it was my turn, and I ended up with two between 8-10lbs. Both last weekend, and this weekend, I hooked several big fish that felt like halibut on the way up. My 40lb line was bitten through about halfway to the boat several times. Other times, we got just a mackerel head, with a fairly clean bite that looked like it could have been a halibut (other baits demonstrated the usual signature halibut teeth marks on the macks, not all the way through). I was fairly confident that I had lost some big halibut, but someone commented that there are a number of soupfin sharks in the area. I did see one boated on the halibut derby trip on Sunday in the same area (also, a nice 32lb hali was caught on this trip, but not by me). Could there really be that many in the area? I may try some heavier line next weekend so I can find out.

DSC03747-pab.jpg
DSC03752-pab.jpg

Upvote 0

Choonaguy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 17, 2010
Long Beach
Name
Joe Kane
Boat
none
I wouldn't be surprised if many of the boats were pounding the area from your reported success. Keep it up tho, catching legal halibut consistently isn't an easy thing and the two of you look to be pretty damn good at it

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

Fish Fetish

Mar 19, 2008
Ramona / Tijuana
Name
Bob Lyman
Boat
22' Trophy / 34' silverton conv.
Good job! We have the annual after Thanksgiving Halibut tournament down in Mission Bay this Saturday, I hope I do as good as you are doing.

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
I've used light mono leaders for years focusing on halibut including five IGFA records on my boats landed by guests without a bite-through. Halibut have conical teeth and their spacing does not cut line as you describe. I've demonstrated this many times at fishing seminars. You are likely hooking sharks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
If there is any abrasion marks on the line, its was probably a shark.

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
Aug 23, 2014
Dana Point
Name
Gabe
Boat
Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
That would possibly explain why I lost so many and the head only macs coming back up...although I still like to think there were some massive halibut out there!!!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I've used light mono leaders for years focusing on halibut including five IGFA records on my boats landed by guests without a bite-through. Halibut have conical teeth and there spacing does not cut line as you describe. I've demonstrated this many times at fishing seminars. You are likely hooking sharks.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly this!!!

Super uncommon to lose Halibut from them biting through the line. Like said, they don't have serrated teeth, and rather teeth like a dog, so biting through line is not an issue.

Just like Tap said, I know of many huge halibut caught on 8, 10 and 12# test, and these were upper 30's to 40 plus pound fish.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Phat Matt
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Whenever losing a fish to a bite through , or break off, I convince myself its always a monster specimen of the targeted species.
    With some of us that extends to curlicues and swing and misses too LOL

Reactions: IrieMitch
    Upvote 0

neue

Captain
    Sep 17, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Sporties
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for a big one of the correct species.

Upvote 0

Choonaguy

Nov 17, 2010
    Long Beach
    Name
    Joe Kane
    Boat
    none
    Don't hesitate to make short drifts right outside a buoy mine field. Have caught several real nice halibut outside Dana fishing bass right off the lobster pots. I personally think all the shit they put in those traps makes a little chum line down there that mackerel love. Well you know what is usually waiting for a 8 inch greenback right as the reef meets sand. Try using a trap hook with a piece of wire or spectra

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I've used light mono leaders for years focusing on halibut including five IGFA records on my boats landed by guests without a bite-through. Halibut have conical teeth and there spacing does not cut line as you describe. I've demonstrated this many times at fishing seminars. You are likely hooking sharks.

I completely agree with you.

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
    Dec 28, 2008
    San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    T15 Kayak
    I would add that a fish feeling like the fight of a Halibut but getting bit off is more likely a Leopard Shark than a Soupfin. Soupfins are more likely to fight you all the way up, where many Leopards will lay there just like Halibut. Soupfins do travel in groups, so if you pull one up there are generally more around.

Upvote 0