Almost A Member
Mar 27, 2015
Name
Anthony
Boat
Parker
175 ft.

Tuna as bait.

Ran thru the nets twice for quick limits by 7:30.

Super smooth crossing.

Good to see the DFW boys again. Always courteous and even had a few funny stories....
Anyone know How'a crossing the channel at night when waves at 1.5 ft with winds at 8 mph and waves at 10 sec intervals ?

Upvote 0

Cobia224

Almost A Member
Mar 27, 2015
Name
Anthony
Boat
Parker
If you need to ask that question you shouldn't cross at night until you have more experience
Crossed at night multiple times but never really verified waves per sec data. Taking out newbies so was curious. Thanks for your encouraging advice.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Crossed at night multiple times but never really verified waves per sec data. Taking out newbies so was curious. Thanks for your encouraging advice.

When I have newbies on I always go over the fishfinder, gps, vhf, radar, compass, turning on and off motor, protocol for every possible scenario. Shit happens! Safety first! Good Luck!

Upvote 0

emarquez4

Almost A Member
May 14, 2008
Lakewood, CA
www.bigfishtackle.com
Name
Ernie
Boat
26' Seaswirl, PESCADOR
Completely agree with you and your comment regarding encouraging advice-- if your not going to be helpful don't post at all-- Flomar is on point- in addition to his advice-- I would research more about marine weather-- the numbers you provided don't look too bad- but at night things can get a bit dicier- here is link that may be helpful.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/safeboating/marine_forecasts.shtml

Upvote 0

emarquez4

Almost A Member
May 14, 2008
Lakewood, CA
www.bigfishtackle.com
Name
Ernie
Boat
26' Seaswirl, PESCADOR
Completely agree with you and your comment regarding encouraging advice-- if your not going to be helpful don't post at all-- Flomar is on point- in addition to his advice-- I would research more about marine weather-- the numbers you provided don't look too bad- but at night things can get a bit dicier- here is link that may be helpful.

Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo

My post was being helpful. Maybe it wasn't coddling, but it was helpful.The conditions he was asking about are benign as hell. There are days it's worse than that in the bay which suggests a lack of knowledge and experience with regards to operating a vessel. We all know lives are at stake at any time any time on the water, and as you said, it's gets dicier at night due to lack of visibility. It's no joke, and we were all recently reminded of this when someone died off LA Jolla at night while lobster fishing.

So I'll stick to my original post, it was good advice without the shoulder massage you seem to think is required here.

Upvote 0

Cobia224

Almost A Member
Mar 27, 2015
Name
Anthony
Boat
Parker
My post was being helpful. Maybe it wasn't coddling, but it was helpful.The conditions he was asking about are benign as hell. There are days it's worse than that in the bay which suggests a lack of knowledge and experience with regards to operating a vessel. We all know lives are at stake at any time any time on the water, and as you said, it's gets dicier at night due to lack of visibility. It's no joke, and we were all recently reminded of this when someone died off LA Jolla at night while lobster fishing.

So I'll stick to my original post, it was good advice without the shoulder massage you seem to think is required here.
I do agree that safety is of the utmost importance. I wouldn't head out unless I was assure we have everything in check. I have about 6 years boating and have been to San Clemente Island and beyond and consider myself fairly knowledgeable . I still find myself, however, seeking other opinions because maybe they know something I don't. Given the conditions on Fish Weather seem to be fine, I went ahead and checked Fishdope and it stated that there was a weather advisory and that many boats had to turn back yesterday because of the conditions. So there were conflicting reports. Therefore, I decided to see what others had to say on BD. I know, I should have been more specific in my first post. Ultimately, I like a smooth ride home at night and thus was concerned about the interval per sec being only 10 secs and other reported conflicting conditions.

I don't think emarquez4 response was a shoulder massage. His response was encouraging with helpful information. Reading it made me want to continue to want to stay in the sport of fishing rather than give it up because it may be beyond my expertise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0