Islanddevil

Figuring it out
Jul 3, 2020
Arizona
Name
Mike
Boat
Rampage 30 Express
Late post. Left Shelter Island this past Sunday at 4am and drove towards the East side of the Hidden bank with a scoop and a half of good bait. As the sun came up, we stopped on the first small patty we saw and nothing home. Kept moving further SE and stopped by two long strands of kelp. After throwing flylines and not getting a bite, we made the decision to move on. That’s when I noticed sonar marks as we were starting to troll away from the kelp. Threw out some chum and flylines and immediately hook up with a nice size skippy. Next cast, hook up on a YFT. We then proceeded to catch limits of 10-20lb YFT. Kept the school around for a few hours and then left. As we were heading out we saw another nice size patty just a few miles north of where we caught them. We stopped for the heck of it and played catch and release with 3-8lb yellowtail. That bite eventually turned to YFT. We called it in on the radio and left. Great day and only saw 3 other boats that far south.

Upvote 0

Islanddevil

Figuring it out
Jul 3, 2020
Arizona
Name
Mike
Boat
Rampage 30 Express
Can’t beat mid November yft! Headed out tomorrow. How far SE of the hidden did you go?

About 5 miles or so East and only about 1 mile or so south. There were quite a few patties out there to check out. I wouldn’t pass up the small ones. The first patty we scored on was nothing more than a long strand of kelp. The sonar marks were probably 100 ft or so off the patty. Good luck! I may try again this weekend.

Reactions: Hophead
Upvote 0

Latest posts