Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 - "Reel Busy"
    71EA5C3F-138B-4795-AF9D-56937626A3FF.jpeg
    Got down to the boat at 6am and by 645 we were passing Pt Loma on the way towards Coronado Canyon to see if any Bluefin wanted to play on the morning slack tide.

Sure enough we found a massive pile of birds and while there was no shortage of life and it looked fishy as hell... the little visual sign of tuna was pretty minimal, small and up and down FAST.

After spending about 30 min seeing if anything would materialize, we kept going looking for kelps and yellowtail.

We hit a handful of kelps between the canyon and 302 for nada then turned north to 226 for more skunko, despite having some really good looking paddies in that zone.

Worked a little west and then was scratchin' my head trying to figure out what to do.

Decided that the 302/226 zone seemed off as we already hit 12 or so kelps for nothing... so decided to go southeast and ended up finding a paddy at 21/29 that was holding a bunch of fish.

The first fish in the boat was a typical 5lb rat and I expected it to be wide open rats so I was pretty pumped and surprised when the next fish were 7-10 lb fish.

It was pretty dang wide open and we put 5 in the boat for my dad and I on our first drift so I called over @longboard85 to see if he wanted to join in.

Cody showed up and started chipping away on his limit as we hit our double limit and kept having fun with catch and release while slinging the irons.

At this point a few more boats decided to join the party and I waved em on in before we ended up working our way back to try to see if any Bluefin would pop on the 1pm slack tide.

We came across more massive bird schools but it was mostly a porpoise, seal and whale show - which was cool but not what we were looking for.

Kept going in and was back at slip at 230pm.

All in all, another super fun day on the water with us pulling on 18 or so 6-10lb yellowtail. Another constant reminder of how important the "search" is and how many kelps we had to hit today (and the 100 mile journey) before finding the one that was loaded.

But it was way worth the effort.

If I was going out tomorrow I'd fish between the coronado canyon and the 371/425 zone...

Good luck out there!
    Cole

29B380DD-7515-4E89-9EF6-62B3C3920043.jpeg

1637032752062.jpeg

71EA5C3F-138B-4795-AF9D-56937626A3FF.jpeg

E450CE96-9DF8-437F-A78D-A07FD0A757CC.jpeg

55689762-5802-448F-8F5D-B1C7858CF7EA.jpeg

EF8F6169-0873-424F-B790-EB32F58D3251.jpeg

Last edited:

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Thanks for the call in. Today was fun. Hit a lot of banks. Saw a small school of tuna. Caught a handful of YT.

Witnessed a NatGeo moment like no other. Crazy bait scene. Whales were breaching with tail slaps.

I enjoy watching folks backing up into a paddy and casting the bait into the middle of it. So entertaining.

Tight lines.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report/info/pics. Nice grade yellows.
    Glad you and dad, and Cody got limits.
    Solid work on the lake again today. LOL

Reactions: Cole418
    Upvote 0

Cole418

Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    Awesome trip and great move!! Great shirt brotha, I was there too. I'm always down to roll out with a fellow skipper to cover ground and be on radio comms. Let me know
    @Chris Caiceco were you on that paddy with us too? Which boat? And yes… happy to buddy boat and help cover water in future and compare notes. We fish weekly pretty much

Upvote 0

Cole418

Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    Thanks for the call in. Today was fun. Hit a lot of banks. Saw a small school of tuna. Caught a handful of YT.

Witnessed a NatGeo moment like no other. Crazy bait scene. Whales were breaching with tail slaps.

I enjoy watching folks backing up into a paddy and casting the bait into the middle of it. So entertaining.

Tight lines.

Thanks again
    Good meeting you out there man. Were you guys able to pull on some yellows off that paddy?

Reactions: aguachico
    Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Good meeting you out there man. Were you guys able to pull on some yellows off that paddy?
    Yeah we pulled a few, lost a few. It was more a spectator sport as the wind made things interesting. You had the yacht drifting slow and sideways, the panga knowing how to do it and the cat getting blown at a strange drift.

I drift fast and bow first so I pick my drifts carefully.

Everyone was cool.

Maybe throwing a lot of chum was not a good idea as the little guys were probably full... and the bite shut down.

Upvote 0

Cole418

Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    Wait a minute.. You called Cody in?🤔 Nice work!
    Yea... that's 100% my "claim to fame" around here now :)

...we were buddy boating out there and in communication all day ready to help each other out when needed.

He previously called us in on some tuna a few weeks ago so it felt great to be able to return the favor..

Upvote 0

EddieFishtac0

• Feb 28, 2013
    Fontana
    Name
    ed martinez
    Boat
    Moo moo boats and 6 pack
    Yellowtail spawn under kelp during the summer months.
    It looks like the spawning is done, glad you found a kelp with horny teenagers 😀

• Haha
    Reactions: Cole418
    Upvote 0