Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
It's amazing that you have been with a sport boat for that long, and still don't know that rock fish DO move around.

Hint: if they didn't, spots would never recover from being fished out, and yet they do, year after year. Rock fish both move into a spot, and move out of a spot, according to many different variables. If you actually believe that all rock fish just stay in one spot their entire lives, regardless of what happens... I have a bridge to sell you.

Another hint: how do artificial reefs attract rock fish, if they never move...?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
It's amazing that you have been with a sport boat for that long, and still don't know that rock fish DO move around.

Hint: if they didn't, spots would never recover from being fished out, and yet they do, year after year. Rock fish both move into a spot, and move out of a spot, according to many different variables. If you actually believe that all rock fish just stay in one spot their entire lives, regardless of what happens... I have a bridge to sell you.

a lot of time's they Stay Deep, because they like the Cooler
Water, and move into Shallow water went that cools Down
and years ago they Tagged Some up Here, and they were
Caught down The Coast, in Mexican waters, I got
that Info From a Commercial Fisherman, that Fishes
for Rock Cod, he even said that their was some
Real Deep Spot holding like 50 Tons of fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azarkon
Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None

I'm guessing your talkin about me...I said I wouldn't go back and forth with you anymore but I'm bored today so what the fuck...
First of all I have the same access to printed scientific info that you do..
The difference is I also see it from the other side not only having been commercially licensed for many years but personally involved in research studies for not only rockfish but sea bass,halibut,makos,white sharks and several other species,many times on the boat with the scientists as they conducted their study..
You have no clue as to what I believe about rockfish movement because I never gave my opinion about the subject..
I was referring to the fact that you quote printed info on a regular basis and many guys that fish often know much of that info is incorrect..

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowfish26
Upvote 0

Choonaguy

Nov 17, 2010
Long Beach
Name
Joe Kane
Boat
none
Why can you have a stack of reds from the bottom up to 30-50 feet suspended one day and then the next day you can't mark a single fish on that rock? Does that whole school of reds stuff themselves in holes of the rock? like fishkilr said you will learn true info first hand instead of quoting someone you have never even met. Kind of like when you see some dude step on a half or 3/4 day with trinidads talicas and custom wrapped rods. Someone told him he needed all that but he can't even catch a cold

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I'm guessing your talkin about me...I said I wouldn't go back and forth with you anymore but I'm bored today so what the fuck...
First of all I have the same access to printed scientific info that you do..
The difference is I also see it from the other side not only having been commercially licensed for many years but personally involved in research studies for not only rockfish but sea bass,halibut,makos,white sharks and several other species,many times on the boat with the scientists as they conducted their study..
You have no clue as to what I believe about rockfish movement because I never gave my opinion about the subject..
I was referring to the fact that you quote printed info on a regular basis and many guys that fish often know much of that info is incorrect..

You realize that someone linked printed info to me to try and prove rock fish don't move around, not the other way around? I responded by showing them that even the link says rock fish do, in fact, move around. If you have a better understanding of the topic, why don't you share it next time, instead of sharing insults?

I don't care if you hold some grudge from a past exchange or whatever, but don't contribute to misinformation. No, printed info isn't always right. But in this case, it is correct, so what's the problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: FloMar
Upvote 0

JC123

Jun 8, 2006
HB
Name
JC
Boat
80FT
Guys, i run the freelance and have for 30 + years. I do NOT run it on weekends, what they do is their own thing.. While I do agree with you all on the groupon thing, i will tell you this...When i run the boat, it doesn't matter if its groupons, a charter or what have you...I do not drive by anything that we can catch or hook! Last week we didn't get in until 7.30 pm on Tue and Wed, we stayed late because we were catching a few yellows late in the day.. Each captain does their own thing, some just want fish in the bags, while others like me would rather catch big game.. Unfortunately, the groupon thing has pretty much scared away most of our regulars, so even when they do bite its kinda tough to watch. At most, maybe a handful of people out of 80 have a clue, the rest stand there and catch nothing, then say how bad we suck because they didn't catch anything..No matter what we do people will complain.. Even on days we catch 100 yellowtail, we've had people complain because they didn't catch one.. Just know that when im running the boat, you can rest assured that i wont drive by any fish jumping out of the water.. I don't know who was driving that day, but it wasn't me.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Guys, i run the freelance and have for 30 + years. I do NOT run it on weekends, what they do is their own thing.. While I do agree with you all on the groupon thing, i will tell you this...When i run the boat, it doesn't matter if its groupons, a charter or what have you...I do not drive by anything that we can catch or hook! Last week we didn't get in until 7.30 pm on Tue and Wed, we stayed late because we were catching a few yellows late in the day.. Each captain does their own thing, some just want fish in the bags, while others like me would rather catch big game.. Unfortunately, the groupon thing has pretty much scared away most of our regulars, so even when they do bite its kinda tough to watch. At most, maybe a handful of people out of 80 have a clue, the rest stand there and catch nothing, then say how bad we suck because they didn't catch anything..No matter what we do people will complain.. Even on days we catch 100 yellowtail, we've had people complain because they didn't catch one.. Just know that when im running the boat, you can rest assured that i wont drive by any fish jumping out of the water.. I don't know who was driving that day, but it wasn't me.
That's Good too Hear , but only Having 2 Deck Hands, with 80 Want too Be Fisherman is not Enough you Should tell Donny
You Need at Least 6, Because I have Been on 3 Trips with
you Guys this year , and I Have hear the same Speech
each time, if you Get Tangled up, Relax and give us some
Time because their is only 2 Of us. on Deck

Reactions: lynndeva and Haly0
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
No matter what we do people will complain.

As long as the Captain and crew give 100% that's all you can do.
People will be people, it's their nature.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal

Just like the op said, we past up a feeding frenzy birds/boils happening right next to the boat close to the island...glad to hear you would have stopped.

I took my son and 4 of his friends out on the Freelance mid week while you were running it and we had a great time (just as crowded but still had fun) I'll have to remember if we ever go out again to go mid-week...never again with that cluster and crew on the weekend.

We brought our own gear last weekend and I was talking to a couple of guys on the boat that rented their rod/reel and included in that was some sinkers and hooks for $15, so why is there a $5 charge for a sinker out on the water...with only 2 deckhands, you can imagine how many line/sinkers were cut and lost especially with the current on the first rock pile stop last weekend and $5 a pop adds up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J.S.20

Jul 8, 2015
Name
Jacob Schwank
Boat
First String
exactly

My son came and got me and told me that some guy caught a tiny halibut and was using it for bait..I'm like really? lets go investigate this...sure enough, I see him at the back with this tiny 7" or so halibut dangling out of the water while we motor over to the next stop..I already had my pliers out of my pocket when I got to him and I said, here, I'll get that off for you and he yells at me "no I'm using it for bait" and said nope, not today..I reach down and grab it and take it off and release it and walk away..he was pissed but I didn't give a shit.

I highly doubt it was a 7inch halibut. Sounds more like he caught a sanddab, then proceeded to use that sanddab as bait for a lingcod. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
I highly doubt it was a 7inch halibut. Sounds more like he caught a sanddab, then proceeded to use that sanddab as bait for a lingcod. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I know the difference ;) I have yet to see a toothy right eyed sanddab.

Last edited:
Upvote 0